Barton Fink & Miller's Crossing DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TomJD, Sep 8, 2002.

1. TomJD

TomJD Agent

Has there ever been a mention of these 2 Coen bros movies coming to DVD?Surely both deserve the special DVD treatment.

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Next year I think. There are quite a few threads on these two movies and their lack of availability on DVD if you need more info. The search function should hook you up! [​IMG]

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

What Steve said...
    There is a rumor every year that these are coming out, but they never seem to [​IMG]

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Long overdue, but I picked up Barton Fink on DVD yesterday and boy is this film in need of an updated transfer! Great movie, but a Special Edition with remastered a/v is something that should be worked on.

5. Manus

Manus Second Unit

I think the problem is that the Coens dont seem to give a monkeys about either their fans or their films.They've been only minimally involved in the dvd releases of their films and some of the early ones were terrible on every level.

Maybe Criterion will step up to the plate one day ?

~M~

6. Tiago_J

Tiago_J Stunt Coordinator

Since they don't care about DVD's, even Fargo-like editions would be better than nothing. Those movies definitely deserve a better treatment. Hudsucker Proxy could also use a new edition.

7. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I've heard that the soft focus look of the Barton Fink DVD was intentional. Miller's Crossing on the other hand looked incredible.

Now if only Fox would release an anamorphic version of Raising Arizona.

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Well on my 100" display, it sure didn't look intentional.

It's not just sharpness (or lack there of!), the image proved more than just a soft transfer. From the very first screen I noticed ghosting as the yellow credits rolled down and issues of haloing throughout.

Coincidentally, the 2-channel audio mix is sparse and a washout for such an atmospheric film with a tremendous accompanying score.

It definitely needs an upgraded release with a multi-channel mix and a boosted transfer.

9. ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke Stunt Coordinator

DVDuell.de

10. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I’d like to be able to watch the theatrical version of Blood Simple on DVD.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I asked because I held onto my VHS with the original cut, but I haven't been inclined to watch it in the last couple of years. I was actually curious about which edits you found the most problematic.

Regards,

14. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Ken,
    Sorry, I'm pretty touchy about this subject because the people who created this little masterpiece thought it was alright to fuck around with it about 18 years later!!

This is the first Coen Brothers movie. Blood Simple is the reason many of us went into Raising Arizona already knowing it would be great and several years later they showed how consistently good they could be when Miller’s Crossing appeared. This is the first time Carter Burwell composed music for a movie. He's done 71 more since. This is Frances McDormand's first movie. I love Blood Simple.

It became like a narcotic for me, like the week in 1963 when a couple of friends and I went to see To Kill A Mockingbird every night for a week. We just tranced out.
    Except Robert Mulligan didn’t come back in 1980 and say, "You know, now that I’ve got Inside Daisy Clover and The Stalking Moon under my belt, I’d like to have another go at Mockingbird. The music under the opening credits has got to go, and that line about "Jean Louise. Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing."....and if anybody wants to see the original version again, well, screw 'em."
    My repeated viewings of a movie don't happen that often, but when they do, I really go for it.
    In the fall of 1967 I saw Cool Hand Luke, Bonnie and Clyde and In the Heat of the Night....again and again and again.
    Then there was Blade Runner in 1982. Back to the theater countless times.
    Do you think Ethan & Joel saw Blade Runner? The worlds slowest ceiling fans and noodling piano suggest they may have.
    You can read about some of the changes at IMDB. They all bother me because I’d like to be able to get out a DVD and relive that original experience.
    Carter’s moody piano interludes have been deleted for the most part, and a favorite bit of dialogue.
    Most anyone in Austin can direct you to Mt. Bonnell where Marty meets Visser for the contract.
    I’m gonna paraphrase this quote because my LD player is not hooked up right now and I’m too lazy to find my copy of the script.
    After the deal is done Marty leans back into the car, “There’s an incinerator behind the bar.”
    Visser replies: “Jesus Christ, you are disgusting.”

Well, don’t worry, you won’t have to suffer through that line anymore, the boring parts have been removed.

15. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

I'd like to add that Miller's Crossing is one of my favorite movies ever. I'm so blown away by that film. I'm a huge Coen Bros. fan (although I detest The Ladykillers) and I love their comedy, but I'd kill to see them get another crack at a serious film like Miller's Crossing.

16. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i agree 100% with Marco

the current Barton Fink dvd looks wretched, especially on a large display.

17. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

Despite my Google skills, this is all I could find:

- They had screen Blade Runner before making The Hudsucker Proxy, which also used elaborate sets and a large, detailed cityscape. - The Coen Brothers FAQ