What's new

Barton Fink/Miller's Crossing Blockbuster Availability (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
not sure about buying these blind (Coen bros. movies sometimes are hit or miss for me), but I would like to see them...anyone here (Blockbuster employee prefered) know if BB will have these for rent this week and will they be priced to rent as new releases or catalog.

and yes I understand they are $12.99 at Costco

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
not at the one i work for.

sometimes we do get the catologues in but weeks to onths after release.

we just got THE REF dvd in.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I've seen Barton Fink but not Miller's Crossing and I'm buying them both so one is blind. Barton Fink is amazingly great, so I'm assured with that one, and with the other Miller's Crossing is hailed by many to be the Coens' (some of my favorite filmmakers) best film, and I also love gangster films. Plus, it doesn't hurt that they go for $15 or less.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I couldnt find Barton Fink today at CC,BB or Media Play :frowning:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Miller's Crossing is hailed by many to be the Coens' (some of my favorite filmmakers) best film, and I also love gangster films
Tom, if you love gangster films, then have no fears over Miller's Crossing. Sublime. A few more extras than Barton Fink, and both transfers are excellent.

---
So many films, so little time...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
IMNSHO, Miller's Crossing was the best film of the 90s (sorry Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, & Schindler's List, you almost made it :)) and worth a blind purchase. It gets better with each viewing and it's pretty darn good on the first one!

Regards,

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
If you can't find them at your B&M, Amazon has a deal. Purchase them both at the same time and get $2 off. Both are for sale at $14.99 each, so with this deal you can grab them for $27.98 with free shipping.

That beats Best Buy at every level except instant gratification. Turnip?

John Hummel

Auditioning
I don't know what kind of setups those who thought Barton Fink looked good have, but on my 53" I thought it looked horribly blurry. A real disappointment.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Just curious...Barton Fink showed up as 1.66:1 on my computer screen, but on my friend's DVD player on a regular 4:3 TV it looked like 1.85:1...is that an anamorphic expansion or what?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Computer DVD players have no overscan. On a regular TV with more than 3% overscan per side, you will not see the side mattes and it will look like any other 1.78:1 film.

Regards,

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Ken, that would make it look wider on a computer screen. Unless Tom is just mistaken, this would have to be a case of the computer not handling an anamorphic title correctly. (displaying it 4:3)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It is 1.66:1 inside a 1.78:1 frame. If your conventional 4:3 TV has 5% overscan on both sides, all 1.66:1 or 1.78:1 presentations will look like 1.60:1 with no black bars on the side.

On the computer, all 1.78 presentations will look like 1.78:1, but 1.66:1 films will look narrower because of the black bars. This is more than likely what is happening.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks