What's new

Barstow, CA: Anyone here live there (or near)? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Howdy folks!

In October, the wife and I will be moving. I am in the Military (US Air Force) and my next assignment is to Fort Irwin, CA.

For those unfamilair with Fort Irwin, it's the National Training Center (NTC) for the US Army. It's located about 2 hours East of LA and about 2 hours West of Las Vegas, in the Mojave Desert.

We'll probably live in/near Barstow, CA - which is about 35-40 miles from Fort Irwin.

I actually volunteered for this assignment and I'm really excited about the upcoming move. My work schedule is going to be great there (mostly M-F and barely any shift work at all) so that will be a welcome change from what I work now (rotating 12 hr shifts, hardly any weekends off).

Anyone here on the Forum happen to live in this area? Thanks for any and all experiences/info...

Shawn C

Screenwriter
"If you need to stop and take a piss on the way to Vegas, Barstow!"

Barstow sucks. It really is like a giant rest area between L.A. and Vegas. Granted, I haven't ventured very far from the interstate restaraunts, but I really don't think that there is much else there?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, if you're into dirtbikes, quads, dune buggies, and other fun offroad platforms, go down to the Slash X bar and restaurant, way out there in the middle of nowhere. And what I'm getting at is that "nowhere" in California is actually filled with cool stuff. Then, again, I love the desert.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Michael,

Being from the Seattle area myself, I found the desert somewhat depressing when I arrived. But after a couple of months checking all the things around here, we have grown to like the location. There really are literally hundreds of close destinations that will be fun for you to explore. If your wife is into shopping, one of the first places you need to go is Ontario Mills Mall.

I think you'll have a great time here in the 'High Desert'.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks