What's new

Barry Season 1 (HBO) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Bill Haeder starts his new show, Barry, about a contract killer looking for options on HBO.

Enjoyed the first episode; let's see where this goes.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, this was great, especially the slow-burn leading up to Barry finally going all Terminator at the very end on that carload of heavily-armed Chechens. Dayyum.

Plus that one dude totally nailed Drexl the Pimp hard. Definitely in for the season with this one.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Any show that has people playing scenes from Magnolia and True Romance is well worth watching.

I've always found Bill Hader funny but he's a pretty solid actor too. I believe his depression and exhaustion with everything.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
And we hear throughout the entire episode about how only this job is supposedly the best use of Barry's skills, but all we see is him going to auditions, clubbing with his new friends, and meeting with various contacts.

Then that last scene finally happens. Wow.

Last edited:

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Was expecting to like it. Was utterly delighted to see D'Arcy Carden. Then her bit as the confused sidekick at the bar was HILARIOUS, maybe the highlight of the episode.

Then I go to imdb and see she's credited for just the one episode. :(

Still expect to enjoy the entire run. Great concept, the conflict between passion and skill, between anonymity and publicity.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I kinda like the idea that Stephen Root is probably penny-pinching with Barry in terms of necessary supplies (crappy cars, no silencers, cheap hotels) and probably pocketing the overage.

Also, Sepinwall's reviews indicate that things get very dark as the season progresses, so I'm not going to be quick to say that the hitman-angle is immediately disposable, either. Guessing it gradually becomes more of a focus.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Did love his reaction when the death announcement was made. "We all agree this everyone pays full for this session" . :)

Henry Winkler has turned into such a great character. Very similar in most of these roles, but I still laugh.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a sucker for the "crazy stuff happening behind a guy who is unaware" gag so that part cracked me up. I was surprised by how much funnier this episode was than the first. Not that the first one wasn't funny but it seemed more melancholia mixed with humor.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I laughed so hard at this exchange with the police officers:

"Ryan and I did a bunch of scenes together -- we did Shakespeare in Love. Have you seen that movie?"
"Uh-uh."
"We did Breaking the Waves -- have you seen that movie?"
"Uh-uh."
"We did Dogville -- have you seen that movie?"
"Uh-uh...no, no...wait -- I saw that one."

Last edited:

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I thought the first episode was alright, but the second episode onward have been a riot.

I got a good laugh at the Suspects board where the acting class all had their headshots with them all posing with big grins, but Barry's looked like a serial killer.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Need to start an official "Season 2" thread for this one, but this one's already off and running and firing on all cylinders just two episodes in. Sunday night's episode was the "holy shit"-moment, but I think Henry Winkler deserves to win a second Emmy just for his explanation of what a "Dennehy Balloon" is. I thought the McBride/Green/Hill-triad made the deep cuts, but that's a masterstroke.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We just started watching season1, we’ve seen the first two episodes. I’ve hardly read the thread, since we don’t want spoilers. I’ll just say we are loving this very strange show. The bald guy playing on of the gangsters is a blast. There’s so many little touches, like the crying detective. :lol::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks