What's new

Barry Lyndon and Lolita - show your support here. (1 Viewer)

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I can't believe Warner's has no plains to release Barry Lyndon or Lolita. Lyndon is made for Blu Ray, it won the oscar for best cinematography. Lolita is a classic. Both of them are. Kubrick fans were upset they were not included in the box set and we asked at that time. Warner's this is not like you, these should have been released last year.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I just bought 2001 awhile ago for only $10.49 and am planning on purchasing both The Shining, A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket on Blu-ray. I'm also planning on purchasing Dr. Stranglelove.
So yeah I'd buy Barry Lyndon on Blu-ray also, ONLY if it gets the same treatment as all the Kubrick titles on Blu have received. Lolita would be alright too even though I've never really seen it besides the trailer and other random snippets.
I'm even waiting for Criterion to release SPARTACUS on Blu-ray.
Makes me wish Kubrick was still around. Even get commentaries from him.
For Eyes Wide Shut, not really sure if I'd buy it.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
The missing Blu Ray release of Barry Lyndon is the main reason why I haven't bought the Kubrick Collection on Blu Ray yet. To not release a beautiful, visually stunning film like Barry Lyndon in High Definition shows a profound lack of appreciation for both the Blu Ray format and Kubrick's filmmaking. For may people (including Martin Scorsese), Barry Lyndon is Kubrick's best film.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yes, Warner Brothers -- I'd throw down the money in an instant, were Barry Lyndon and Lolita both released on Blu-Ray. Not much more that I can add here that hasn't already been said, but...not putting out what many consider to be Kubrick's most visually-sumptuous film in high-definition? Taking the time to remaster Lyndon in HD is one thing, but I can only hope that the silence we've received thus far is an indicator that something's indeed in the works.

Make it happen, WB. I have money to spend on this...I want to give it to you...why won't WB let me give them my money?

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
It is astounding that one of the most beautifully photographed films of all time, directed by one of the greatest directors of all time, has "no plans" for release on the current high-definition format.

If done properly, a Barry Lyndon release on the Blu-Ray format would be a Day 1 purchase for me, and many other film lovers like me (who might not have access to this forum).

Thanks!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Without exception, one of the very few directors whose complete body of work is still discussed continually, even his “gun for hire” Spartacus, stands well above most other period pieces of the same area and has aged well while other costume dramas from that time have not. 13 official films that the director felt that were good enough for home video release. Only 13, how many other Auteur’s hold as much weight a Kubrick, maybe Wells’, Hitchcock only by volume of work. This is something that needs to be corrected, I agree with all the parties before me that Barry Lyndon and Lolita, both deserve a proper restoration and release on Blu ray, that fact that Kubrick was able to do something with Barry Lyndon that had never been done before or since, with the aspect of natural lighting and the only time that style of lens was used alone is a special feature in its self.

Along with this what I would also like to see is MGM and there fine company , delve into its classics , and do correct restorations and proper Blu releases of Killers Kiss, The Killing and Kubrick’s first truly masterpiece, Paths of Glory, along with cooperation from Universal and Criterion, I would like to see a partnership effort in presenting Spartacus. That only would leave Fear and Desire. As being the only Kubrick true film unreleased. Uncertain if, or who would own the rights to that. But I think completest would go after that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Neilson ">[/url]
...This is a surprise given the rapid and excellent treatment afforded to the other Kubrick films that you own...[/QUOTE]
Anthony, I wasn't aware anyone was unreservedly happy with any Kubrick release on blu ray.

Full Metal Jacket is on HTF's [url=http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1037935]"Film Grain Allowed"[/url] thread: "softer film look with grain present in darker scenes."

And Dr. Strangelove has a query with its aspect ratio, where it has always switched between two, and here has been levelled out to something roughly 16:9 shaped, I forget what exactly. I must say, though, that watching this blu ray it all flowed much smoother than it used to and was an absolute pleasure to watch.

I can't say the same for my first experiences with Eyes Wide Shut and Clocwork Orange, but I've recently upgraded from a 40" 50Hz LCD to a 50" 200Hz Plasma, so they might not bother me now. I know I've suffered from owning the DVD Box Set which had opened the mattes out and shown parts of the image that Kubrick had supposedly not intended to show; yet Eyes Wide Shut was always precafed with a misleading title card which said "this film was shot in 4:3 and is presented as such according to the Directors wishes." Possibly it even said "final" wishes!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Ben,

That Full Metal Jacket was superseded by a re-release, and Dr. Strangelove was theatrically distributed at 1.66:1. (It would not have changed aspect ratios in the theater).

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Ben,

That Full Metal Jacket was superseded by a re-release, and Dr. Strangelove was theatrically distributed at 1.66:1. (It would not have changed aspect ratios in the theater).
Thanks Brandon!

What about The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut? Was everyone happy with them? I debuted them, as I mentioned on my previous 50Hz LCD and they looked strange, but now I have a full 100Hz Plasma, I should try them again...

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Ben Cheshire

Thanks Brandon!

What about The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut? Was everyone happy with them? I debuted them, as I mentioned on my previous 50Hz LCD and they looked strange, but now I have a full 100Hz Plasma, I should try them again...
The biggest complaints about those releases were the fact that they showed the theatrical aspect ratio instead of the open matted version of the earlier dvds. And perhaps the altering of the 'Warner Communications' logo of The Shining, or the fact that Warner didn't include the audio commentary by Sydney Pollack that was listed on press releases.
But the releases themselves were quite good. I thought they looked amazing, especially Eyes Wide Shut (amazing cinematography).

Real Name
Cynthia Fuller
With Barry Lyndon and Lolita in my wants to be on Blu-ray, what about Paths of Glory, Spartacus and The Killing? Already in my collection I have all Kubrick movies on this newest format.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
That doesn't explain Lolita, though. I wouldn't think transferring that to HD would be the cause of many problems. I just hope that both titles, when they're finally released on Blu-ray, look and sound the best they can. So no digital tinkering to 'improve' the image, especially in the case of Barry Lyndon.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Thanks for bringing them to Blu-ray WB. Thanks for nothing for making them exclusive to a 9-Disc box set where I already have the content in the same quality for 7 of the discs.

Dick move, WB. You better make these available separately ASAP.

John Skoda

Second Unit
I'd definitely get LOLITA and BARRY LYNDON on blu. But not if I have to buy an expensive box that mostly duplicates stuff I've already got.

The classy thing to do would be to make the box available in a "previous owners" set--with all content except with blank cases where the existing blu discs would go. Heck, they can even count the CLOCKWORK ORANGE set as "new" since it definitely has new extras.

WB did this with the Fred and Ginger discs. When the second set of films came out, Amazon sold an exclusive version with blank cases for the existing discs so those who already had those could upgrade and have the whole set and box contents.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Both LOLITA and BARRY LYNDON in Blu are available for preorder from amazon.de (Germany) and both are listed as Region Free on DVDBeaver.com:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B004NRS7QA/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver0c-21&link_code=as2&creativeASIN=B004NRS7QA&creative=374929&camp=211189 and

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B004NRS828/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver0c-21&link_code=as2&creativeASIN=B004NRS828&creative=374929&camp=211189

This is a less expensive option that a re-purchase of all the other titles. I imagine there will also be a French release of these titles individually, as well as (perhaps) a British. I have purchased from amazon.de and have experienced no problems (the site works just like the American and has all of your information on file), expect that it does take a couple of weeks for stuff to arrive at my door.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by John Skoda

I'd definitely get LOLITA and BARRY LYNDON on blu. But not if I have to buy an expensive box that mostly duplicates stuff I've already got.

The classy thing to do would be to make the box available in a "previous owners" set--with all content except with blank cases where the existing blu discs would go. Heck, they can even count the CLOCKWORK ORANGE set as "new" since it definitely has new extras.

WB did this with the Fred and Ginger discs. When the second set of films came out, Amazon sold an exclusive version with blank cases for the existing discs so those who already had those could upgrade and have the whole set and box contents.

I agree with John. I took advantage of the Fred & Ginger box upgrade from Amazon, and I'm surprised it hasn't been repeated when situations like these arise. I can only guess it was an experiment between Warner and Amazon, and didn't generate enough sales to justify repeating.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
The Digital Bits reports A CLOCKWORK ORANGE will be the same master used last time for the Blu-ray, and all of the rest of Kubrick's previously released Blus will be the same as well - plus the same PCM lossless audio will be used once again . . . BARRY LYNDON and LOLITA will have 5.1 DTS-HD . . . the more I find out about this new release the less worthwhile it seems . . . I suppose either go for the European releases (once the Region Freeness is confirmed - although European Warner stuff has always been Region Free, to my knowledge), or wait for Warner U.S.A. to release these titles individually as they seem to be doing in quite a few other places around the world - wonder what makes us so special . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks