What's new

Barry Lyndon and Lolita - show your support here. (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hard to believe there are more than 1600 "views" of this thread, but only 60 replies in support of the release of this movie (and Lolita) on Blu-ray.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Make it 61.

I'd have Barry Lyndon on pre-order the moment it's available. Absurd that Warner didn't drop the other shoe with the other five titles.

craigvanarsdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Van Arsdel
Dear Warner Bros:

We have bought over 500 DVDs and 44 Blu-Ray titles, even a dozen HD-DVDs too. Many were Warner Bros product. (Including the first 2 Kubrick DVD sets, the first one which was technically impaired, then reissued).

The fact that you have no plans yet to release Barry Lyndon or Lolita on Blu-Ray is most dumbfounding.

I think whomever was presumptuous enough to make the decision to exclude these from your Blu-Ray Kubrick set, has made an unprecedented mistake in compromising the loyalty of Warner Bros customers like us.

It goes well beyond short-term commercial considerations, when you own and control an artwork like these. Please right this grievous sin, and prepare the rest of the Kubrick titles for Blu-Ray now.

Thank you,

Craig

Jrf2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I'll throw my hat into the ring. I don't even care of they are bare-bones discs, as long as they have high-bitrate film-like (non DNR'd) transfers and lossless audio I'll step up to the plate and help the Warner Bros. cause.

craigvanarsdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Van Arsdel
Bought my Blu-Ray of "Dr. Strangelove" out today.

Nice booklet and presentation. Prestige treatment.

Inside treatment "Stanley Kubrick is indisputeably a true artist and pioneer of motion pictures . . ." and the tribute gives equal mention to "Lolita" and "Barry Lyndon" as the rest.

Someone at Sony, please copy Warner Bros and remind them of what they should already know, "Lolita" and "Barry Lyndon" are not B-grade nor inferior in any way.

If you are going to do this project right, and re-release 5 of Kubrick's titles on Blu-Ray you own and control, it is poor taste and artistically indiscrete not to offer the other 2 as well!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I don't have a BD player. Plus, I just bought Barry Lyndon for $3 from Big Lots. It's still in the plastic.

With that said...I'd upgrade the film when I get a BD player. :emoji_thumbsup: Along with the shining, 2001, Dr. Strangelove.

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
What other deceased director has had an exhibition based on his works touring Europe for the last few years? He is one of the most talked about filmmakers of today. Barry Lyndon and Lolita are two of his major works.

These films need to be released on Blu-ray. I would pick them up in a sec.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Well, I'm sure you've seen the ten or so title list of Blu-Rays that Warners thinks will make them scads of money (they won't) and they obviously think those are much preferable to non-commercial and unimportant titles like Barry Lyndon and Lolita.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
We just watched Lolita last weekend. It was a letterboxed SD version on our local PBS station. Despite the poor PQ, the brilliance of the film and the performances (especially James Mason and Shelley Winters) shone through. What a simultaneously funny, shocking, and sad film. I'd love to have it on BD.

This may be old news, but it occurred to me that the theme of the book and film is Old Europe's fascination with Young, Gauche America. But how has Europe ruined America like Humbert ruined Lolita and her mother? That doesn't fit. Another half-baked idea of mine...

Doug

craigvanarsdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Van Arsdel
[SIZE= larger]Warner Bros Has High Priorities!!
(Please be patient now for the rest of the Stanley Kubrick legacy)[/SIZE]
[COLOR= #ff0000]Plans Direct-to-Video "Scooby Doo" Blu-Ray instead !
[/COLOR]

Warner Brothers will bring 'Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Begins' “prequel” (direct to video title) to Blu-ray on September 22. Yes, Cinephiles! A landmark Scooby Blu-Ray is just what we needed, look for the trailer with your $95 GWTW this fall.

The 2-disc Scooby Blu-Ray will present the "film" in 1080p video, a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack. Supplements will include "Stanley Kubrick Boo Hoo" singalong video, "We Wish We Won Four Oscars Like Barry Lyndon" gag reel, Scooby-Doo pastems to attach to Sue Lyon's bikini, "Why Oscar Nominations for Best Picture & Best Director are NOT Good Enough" Puzzle, and "How Low Can We Go" Commercial vs Artistic Legacy appraiser matrix.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Why? The catalog department releases Woodstock, The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind et al, while the DTV department releases a Scooby-Doo sequel and Mr. Troop Mom. This isn't just apples and oranges, but apples and screwdrivers.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by craigvanarsdel /forum/thread/284029/barry-lyndon-and-lolita-show-your-support-here/60#post_3578119

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
To not have Barry Lyndon on Blu-ray is a sin. One of the most beautifully shot films ever! It deserves more than just a non-anamorphic SD DVD treatment. Does Barry Lyndon need a restoration, and is this purely a financial issue? If that were the case, I could maybe understand WB. But I doubt it, and I will try my best to not support WB in any way, shape, or form. They've already messed up transfers, are preparing to rip us off with box sets (i.e. Oz) when many may just want the Blu-ray of the film, etc. No thanks WB! WB - the invetors of those cardboard cases....Shame on you!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's so weird to me how studios take turns being THE one for great DVD release schedules. Maybe its simply change in home video division personnel. Warner Bros has several times been absolute King (thanks largely to Mr. Feltenstein) with bad periods between, and I'm feeling another of those coming on now. Overpriced box sets of Blu-ray classics with no announcements of more affordable 2-disc editions, introducing a great concept (Archives) and then overpricing the product, announcing four "horror" films for Halloween that most would consider iffy while leaving BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS and upgrades of the Hammer Films (HORROR OF DRACULA was recently restored) in the dust, and, of course, omitting LOLITA and especially BARRY LYNDON from their Blu-ray series. Meanwhile, Sony (of all studios!) seems to be wanting to win back a bit of its early reputation by giving us a slew of nice catalog sets after a half-decade of abysmal crap and pan-and-scan re-issues. If they would revive the Midnight Movies series long enough to finally get out the forty or fifty titles we've all been begging (and will pay) for, and get the remaining David Lean titles out on Blu, they might even surpass Warner for catalog titles this/next year. I was thinking Universal might be stepping up to the plate, but they have burned out again recently (although I keep praying THE UNINVITED, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and CAT AND THE CANARY will be revealed as part of the upcoming Fall of Fear promotion) . Who'll be next? Of all these studios, though, I am only sure that Warner Bros reads these threads, so maybe things will change sooner than later.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Why? The catalog department releases Woodstock, The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind et al, while the DTV department releases a Scooby-Doo sequel and Mr. Troop Mom. This isn't just apples and oranges, but apples and screwdrivers.
Well put! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks