What's new

Barry Lyndon and Lolita - show your support here. (1 Viewer)

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
Barry Lyndon is the kind of movie Blu Ray was made for! Seriously, it would look absolutely breathtaking!

And an anamorphic version of Lolita would be sweet too!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I bought the first two Kubrick Collection DVD boxes, and the 5 Kubrick HD-DVDs, all on their release dates. It should go without saying that I would buy BDs of Lolita and Barry Lyndon the second they're available as well.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely buy both on BR. I was shocked that Warner never put these films out on BR with the other Kubrick releases 2 years ago. And my shock continues in finding out they still have no plans to do so. Kubrick was a genius and deserves to have his films presented in the best possible format available for home viewing.

Please Warner, make us Kubrick fans happy
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ScottN86

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Long time reader, first time poster. I got an account for the express purpose of posting here. BARRY LYNDON is by far my favorite Kubrick film, and one of my favorite films, period. It deserves at least a Blu-Ray transfer (never mind just a regular anamorphic version), but a full-blown Special Edition, on par with the Kubrick releases from a few years ago, is without a doubt the disc I want the most.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Barry Lyndon contains some of the most technically accomplished cinematography of all time, and is far and away Kubrick's most visually beautiful film. It would be a definite buy for me.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The money in my wallet is burning a hole for Lolita and Barry Lyndon.

I started a thread in the DVD folder pleading for a restoration of Barry Lyndon. It is one of the most remarkable experiences I've had in the cinema. From a cinematography point of view, it is one of the most remarkable films ever attempted because of how the image was captured and because of the aesthetics and quality of image are different from conventional films. Kubrick uses the basic principles of photography to advance cinematography by taking it back in time. There is no artificial light in Barry Lyndon. Lighting is accomplished with sun, bounce, and literally thousands of foot candles. But it's not just the natural light that gives this film its unique aesthetic qualities, it's also the 50mm Zeiss lenses with the widest aperature in film history. Most films are shot at f8 or f11, but Barry Lyndon is shot at f0.8 . Kubrick conscripted old Mitchell cameras because the mechanism and body-size were large enough to be adapted for Zeis's specialized lenses used in satellite photography in outer space. Point that space lens at an actor or an 18th century room or a landscape on earth and you see familiar things with a presence and perspective you never noticed before. In a way Barry Lyndon is all about light and time.

Barry Lyndon and Blu-ray are made for each other. There's no other film like it. It would be an artistic crime for Warner Brothers to not put this masterwork at the forefront of your plans.

Mikal Haydn

Agent
Found this thread after Googling for Barry Lyndon & Lolita on high-def. I was surprised they weren't part of the releases of the other films on high-def.

I would definiely get bluray versions of both films should they be released.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'd buy Barry Lyndon on Blu-ray in less time than it takes a heart to beat. I'm not too keen on Lolita, but it is a famous enough Kubrick film to be released anamorphically at least.

KRW

Auditioning
Real Name
Karl Wareham
I'm another one who registered an account here simply to wonder in amazement at this. I was convinced Barry Lyndon, surely, must be imminent, given the other Kubrick films available on BD - to read its not even being planned is astounding. Why on earth not? It would look stunning in HD. I have money sitting here waiting to buy it.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Another vote for Barry Lyndon!! One of the all-time greats; makes no sense not having it on BR.

John Stuart

Agent
Real Name
John Stuart
Count me in for Barry Lyndon! I am not a fan of Lolita but I think it's a shame we can't see this one restored.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks