What's new

Barry Lyndon and Lolita - show your support here. (2 Viewers)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I agree that both of these titles are essential on a premium format- especially in the case of Barry Lyndon as the care taken in creation of it's visuals needs to be better mirrored in its home presentation.
The problem I believe, is that the the other Kubrick titles sold particularly poorly on HD in 07. It will be a while before the bean counters in charge will let them finish these. I don't think there's any hope to hang on the "well, since the question didn't mention Bd specifically, maybe they just replied about the DVD format". If these were even in the consideration stage for Bd, they had the perfect opportunity to acknowledged it and didn't. That's sadly telling.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I was surprised when Warner held off on Lolita and Barry Lyndon while releasing the other five. Not to mention the absence of a box set like what was done for the DVDs.

Barry Lyndon would particularly benefit since MPEG2 compression doesn't exactly handle the darker scenes well, even on the terrific (but non-16x9) '01 remaster.

Hopefully we'll get the remaining two Kubricks instead of a useless Smilebox remaster of 2001.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
It's really unfortunate that Warner doesn't have anything planned for these films on blu-ray. They both should be available in HD, especially Barry Lyndon. And it's not like these two are somehow not as good as the other ones? But Warner does read the forum, so if there's enough attention they will notice it.
By the way, which studio has the earlier films, The Killing, Killer's Kiss and Paths of Glory in it's library? It was released by United Artists theatrically, and by MGM on home video. Does that mean it now belongs to Sony, or Warner, or just MGM? These could use a special edition Blu-Ray as well. It's a shame a gem like Paths of Glory doesn't even have bonus material on the dvd.

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L

Just voicing my opinion. Have you seen any sub par PQ movies shoved into blu-ray and calling it "HD"?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yup; I'll certainly join the queue - to read that neither are on the radar is very puzzling.

Barry Lyndon in particular is one of the most gorgeous films I've ever seen; to imagine that in a delicious Blu-ray transfer makes me feel slightly giddy.

Real Name
Anthony

Yes, of course. But what's the relevance? Warner Brothers say they have no plans to release BARRY LYNDON at all. They didn't say they were waiting to restore it, or that they were waiting until the elements were in place.

This thread is here, hot on the heels of the talk, solely to express our disappointment in this news and to ask them to reconsider. Warners are probably monitoring responses right now and if we get enough POSITIVE support, I believe Warners will hear it and address the situation.

Posts in this thread insulting Warners, disparaging BARRY LYNDON or expressing shrugged-shoulders apathy aren't helpful to this cause are they? They're thread-crapping, plain and simple.

It goes without saying that we want a good transfer. I'm happy to wait if that's the hold-up. Most of us just want to know that it's on the radar somewhere. After all, they mentioned releases that might be with us in 2011. If they're saying there are no plans for BARRY LYNDON or LOLITA on BD, that doesn't bode well for us seeing anything within the next five years.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
MGM controls the rights to Killer's Kiss, The Killing, and Paths of Glory. Fox distributes for them, but MGM still decides what they will release.

Universal has the rights to Spartacus. They released a HD-DVD, but I'm hoping they can renew the deal with Criterion and have the BD released through them.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Since interest at Warner is lacking, perhaps those two could be shuffled over to Criterion...though I have no idea how those things work, or if it even could work.

But back to the point of this thread: Absolutely, I would buy both titles, on release day.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
BARRY LYNDON is one of the half-dozen or so most beautifully photographed films ever. It may not have the best acting or be Kubrick's finest film, but the camera work alone keeps me mesmerized for three hours every time, and a Blu-ray of this would be in my home on release day. Why not also do LOLITA and complete the awesome work begun by your studio on the Kubrick titles you own? Columbia's doing STRANGELOVE, and I've not doubt wither Universal or Criterion will do SPARTACUS. That would leave only the early United Artists films, and I don't know how much they would benefit from Blu-ray. But the two remaining in your care certainly would. Many thanks!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Love Kubrick and would definitely grab these if they were released on blu-ray.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I don't know much about Lolita but I'd definitely buy a Barry Lyndon BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks