What's new

Barry Lyndon and Lolita - show your support here. (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Dear Warner Brothers

Many people on this forum have expressed disappointment that there are apparently no plans to bring BARRY LYNDON or LOLITA to Blu-ray disc. This is a surprise given the rapid and excellent treatment afforded to the other Kubrick films that you own. I suspect I'm not alone in having assumed that a release of these films was imminent.

Stanley Kubrick's body of work is one of the crown jewels of your catalogue. BARRY LYNDON may not be his most accessible film but it is a work of great visual beauty that garners new admirers by the day. The only way to truly appreciate it in the home environment is in high-definition.

LOLITA is, likewise, a landmark in American film and should be available in the best quality possible.

We know that you pay some attention to this forum and we respectfully ask that you reconsider your plans and complete the collection. Stanley Kubrick's body of work should be kept alive for future generations and this would be the best way of achieving this, as well as being a fitting tribute to (and reminder of) your studio's long association with this master film-maker.

Thank you for listening

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
I'd rather wait than get crappy transfers.

I want to buy my HD movies once on the same format.

Real Name
Anthony

Yeah, thanks for that. That's helpful. Me, I just want any old crap as long as it says Blu-ray on the cover and I can have it next week.

Killed any other threads recently?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree that these two important, wonderful films should be released on Blu-ray to match their Kubrick "siblings." The Blu-ray releases of the others were so impressive that I can't help but get excited thinking of these two excellent films in high definition.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

This is Warner Bros. we're talking about so they'll probably be bit-rate starved, smoothie, and lossy whether we wait two years or get them tomorrow.

That said, count me in for both. I've never seen either
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
, and I would love to own them on Blu-ray Disc.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My only disappointment and surprise from the Warner chat was learning that they are not working on Barry Lyndon - one of my all-time favourites. Especially as the current DVD is not even anamorphic.

JonJJ

Auditioning
Barry Lyndon is probably my most wanted Blu-ray. I'd definitely buy Lolita too. The current DVDs are both non-anamorphic.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I bought the Kubrick Collection on DVD when it was released (the remastered set, not the original 1999 set) but I hadn't seen Barry Lyndon. I finally did a couple years later and I loved it. I still do. I told a friend from film school about it recently but he doesn't want to see it until it comes out on Blu-Ray (or at least on DVD with a 16x9 transfer). I have since upgraded all my Kubricks to Blu.

It is probably tied with Dr. Strangelove for my favorite Kubrick movie and 3-hour costume dramas aren't exactly my favorite genre.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

And a new Barry Lyndon DVD/BR would be a great opportunity to interview the actors (I think Marisa Berenson was interviewed for A Life In Pictures but was cut for time) along with the various designers like Ken Adam and Milena Canonero (who both won Oscars for this film). Another possible extra could be the TV documentary "Stanley Kubrick's Boxes" which aired in the UK.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
I was surprised and disappointed to discover that Warner has no plans for the remaining Kubrick films on blu-ray.

Kubrick is my favorite director, and Barry Lyndon is my favorite of his films. The beautiful and innovative cinematography alone screams out for a high definition presentation.

If I remember correctly, Leon Vitali oversaw new high definition transfers for all of Kubrick's films for the second release of the Kubrick DVDs. So is the hold up simply that Warner doesn't think these films will sell?

If so, it's incredibly disappointing that the work of one of cinema's great auteurs is being neglected. Kubrick's films demand the best possible presentation.

Warner, if you're reading, more Kubrick on blu-ray, please!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it's worth, I would buy both "Barry Lyndon" and "Lolita" in a heartbeat if they were released on Blu-ray.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I'd buy both of these classic films without question if they were released on Blu-ray. I'm frankly astonished and very disappointed that Warner have no current plans to release them, considering some of the dross that does appear on BD every month.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Nearly 30% (43/151) of my Blu-rays are Warner titles, including all five Warner released Kubrick films. I will buy Barry Lyndon and Lolita the day of release. I don't particularly care about special features - the films in a quality high-def presentation is all I really need. Please consider them for Blu-ray release. Thanks.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
What i thought was odd... and please someone chim in... the person who asked about Barry Lyndon and Lolita last nite on teh WB chat... didn't mention Blu Ray .. and I know that was what the person meant but I was thinking it threw WB off and thought of Special Edtion treatment for DVD? Anyone else get that feeling?

I wanted to chim in so bad and beg... you mean BD right to WB... anyhow that was my thought on it.

I want Barry Lyndon so bad on BD cause even the most recent DVD release contains the Saul Bass Warner Communications logo attactched to it unless the cut it :-(

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I'd definitely support an initiative to get Barry Lyndon on Blu-ray (with or without special features...just need a nice new transfer/encode and lossless audio). And if that means Lolita too, well, that's fine...not my favorite, but I'd support that if others would support Barry Lyndon.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I would double dip for the Blu Ray version of Barry Lyndon in a heartbeat. Period pieces like this, with their beautiful costuming, set decoration and scenery make Blu Ray absolutely shine, and I can't imagine that one of the creme de la creme of the genre, Barry Lyndon, will not be made available in all its glory. Come on, Warner! Bring Redmond Barry to life!

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
His Lolita is an underappreciated masterpiece. James Mason is utterly extraordinary. It's pretty much my favorite book too, so I'd grab it up immediately.

I'm still slowly warming up to Barry Lyndon, but I'd definitely get the blu-ray. The current DVD doesn't even begin to do it justice.

--Jefferson Morris

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
I have to agree, I beg Warner to reconsider these titles. It seems unfathomable to me that the rest of Kubrick's WB output received beautiful Blu-ray editions, yet these two masterpieces don't even rate anamorphic DVD presentations. These are wonderful films, and no proper release of them yet exists. When Sony's Dr. Strangelove is released this summer, their absence on BD will be all the more conspicuous.

I'm sure the good people at Warner are not satisfied that the current DVD of Barry Lyndon in any way does the cinematography justice. I understand these titles might not sell in the same volume as Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, or 2001, but for what it's worth, I will buy them! Perhaps having to wait for this second "wave" of BD Kubrick's will have increased the interest around them.

Please Warner, I will pre-order these the moment they are announced!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks