Barry Lyndon 1983 VHS, a Family Classic?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Boyd, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I was just in the neighborhood Half Price Books when I walked by the video tapes for sale. I noticed some Warner titles in the old-style plastic clam-shell cases. I found it interesting because on the top of each spine, a small bubble told you the genre/category. Dog Day Afternoon was listed as "Adult Drama" quite understandably. Strangers On A Train had a similar notation. But then I looked at Barry Lyndonand on it's double VHS spine it proclaims the movie to be a "Family Classic." Sounds a little bit of odd to me knowing the material, but hey maybe "Family Classic" had a different meaning in 1983.
    Just thought I would share this bit of video history I discovered today. By the way the double tape set was $14.98 used!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Michael Boyd

2. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I'm sure the movie was long a hit among the younger set!

3. Chris Molanphy

I guess someone in the early '80s video dept. tried to categorize a "historical" film sight unseen.
    Um...notwithstanding the occasional violence and the fact that it's a sloooooow-moving three-hour film, I can think of at least one topless scene -- in fact, the scene in question is a kind of orgy! Man, it's a good thing most video consumers don't pay too much attnetion to those "collection" logos. What's next, Salo as part of the "Heartwarming Romance" collection?
    ------------------
    CMM