Barry Bonds hits 600th home run.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 10, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Barry Bonds became the fourth player in Major League Baseball history to hit his 600th home run last night. He hit it off of Kip Wells of the Pirates. Bonds is fourth on the all-time home-run list behind Willie Mays (660 home runs), Babe Ruth (714), and Hank Aaron (755). Impressively, it took Bonds just 710 at bats to go from 500 home runs to 600. He could very well pass Hammerin' Hank.

2. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I keep thinking of the story (of questionable origin) that was going around a few years ago.

White Sox management had sought Frank Thomas' input on what free agent to pursue to hit next to him in the lineup. "Just tell us who you want and we'll go get him-Barry Bonds, Albert Belle-you name it." he was reportedly told. "No question," the Big Hurt supposedly replied-"Albert Belle."

Note: Errors in this rumor originated or perpetuated in this post may be due to synaptic deficiencies on the part of its author.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

To be fair to Frank Thomas- a few years ago Barry Bonds wasn't, well, Barry Bonds.

4. walter wagers

Barry Bonds is exhibit A in "better baseball through chemistry."

JMO, of course.

5. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

That's pretty wild that we now live in an era of baseball where a hitter can hit his 500th HR and his 600th in consecutive seasons (as I recall he started last season just 4 or 5 shy of 500).

6. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

7. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

8. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bonds is a strong man. No question about it. However, something I found interesting is that Sammy Sosa hit one of the longest home runs at Pac Bell the other day since it opened. The article I read about Sosa's home run mentioned the three or four longest home runs hit at Pac Bell. Bonds' longest home run there was said to be some 40 feet or so shorter than the longest home runs. Obviously, strength doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to distance.

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Personally, I hope he doesn't break Hammering Hank's record. I have never been a fan of Barry or his ego. I remember him being on a San Francisco radio show a couple of years back and just being so rude and arrogant to the hosts. He may be a great hitter, but I don't feel he's a great human being. I also wonder how he went from a hitter that never in his career hit 50 homers to one that hit over 70 at an age which would usually be considered past a ball player's prime.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

he has mellowed. I think when he was going through his divorce, he was not the most pleasent person (and who is ???)
    I saw his 500 , 600 and 72 hrs....he is pretty incredible. He just past the record for most intentional walks. Sammy hit 3 in a day,Bonds will never do that because he's walked 70% of the time.

12. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

13. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I'm not sure about the weight of Bonds' bat, but it sure looks short compared to others.

I wish these wuss MLB pitchers would actually pitch to Bonds (as Kerry Wood did the other day). If he gets enough plate appearances, Bonds will break Ted Williams' record for highest on-base percentage for a season. So in the last two years, he will have amassed the home run record, the slugging record, and the OBP record, all during what should be the twilight of his career. Which is not right, in my opinion. It's one thing to set personal bests later in your career, but to set ALL-TIME records when you should be near the end is ridiculous.

I think the lack of fanfare for what should have been an awe-inspiring feat shows that the accomplishment is tainted in a great many fans' eyes.

14. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I remember reading a discussion about physics and bat sizes many years ago. If I remember correctly, the kinetic energy of a moving object (i.e. a bat) is 0.5*m*v^2 where m is mass and v is velocity. Since velocity is squared, sacrificing a little m to get more v is the way to hit balls farther.

Since I live in the mecca of baseball bats, I can tell you that the Louisville Slugger Museum displays a few bats that players actually used. The bats are chained down but the chains are long enough that visitors can hold these bats and see how they feel. Old timers like Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson used sequoias. They are heavy and have thick handles. Most modern players (I think Griffey's is the one on display) now use light bats with thin handles. This allows them to whip the bat around and generate a lot more v in their swing. The modern design is more prone to breaking, but I suspect that current players aren't as concerned about that as old-timers were. The bats they use now are not any longer or heavier than the average bat at your local sporting goods store. However, they do reserve the best wood for the major leaguers.

I agree 100% with this statement. HRs aren't what they used to be. If MLB settles their labor dispute and implements steroid testing, it will be very interesting to see the fallout in terms of who gets caught and who can't maintain their stats.

15. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

yeah, Barry mellowed so much he refused to sign anything for fellow all stars...he's not my man to put up to bat in the playoffs.