Barrie Maxwell 10/4 Bits Column - Fox Classic Releases

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steve...O, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Barrie Maxwell wrote a very important column over at the Bits today.

As has been noted here at HTF Fox underpublicizes their catalog releases and many simply fall beneath the radar screen. This is unfortunate since the quality of their releases is usually excellent.

Although Fox hasn't done a chat with HTF in almost 2 years and one doesn't see their reps chatting it up with newspapers the way Warners does, I sincerely hope they take note of the market for these films and look for ways to market them more effectively. This includes getting some ones that are stuck in their vaults out.

Barrie notes:

As nice as it is to have titles like "In Old Arizona" released, one wonders why relatively obscure titles like this are released while the much more well known catalog titles noted above are MIA. I also wish Fox would look into doing more themed collections which have proven so successful for other studios.

Thanks for another great article Barrie!

2. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Add their Loretta Young titles as well. [​IMG]

Fox use to be one of my favorite studios because they always delivered a great product for a great price but I quit buying their titles this past year when I actually learned how much they are actually sitting on. They've got some very impressive titles and actors in their vaults so I really wish they'd start putting them out like Warner's box set or at least like what Universal has done with their A&C and horror films.

They could release all of their Mr. Moto films on two double sided discs. Their Chan films could be released as double features are in boxes of 8 (or whatever).

I think one of the biggest issues is that Fox doesn't realize what they actually own. THE UNDYING MONSTER is one of the most wanted classic horror titles yet instead of releasing it they release colorized Holmes films? Their Chan titles are among the biggest sellers in a certain area yet Fox claims they won't sell? I think the Chan items are due to the racial thing but Warner is rumored to be releasing THE MASK OF FU MANCHU and if they can release that then there shouldn't be a problem with Chan.

The one thing is I don't want Fox throwing these titles over to Criterion who will charge $39.95. Fox can do just as good of work as Criterion so they should be releasing these gems. A 60-minute THE UNDYING MONSTER won't sell at $39.95 but it will at $14.95. It'll sell even better at $24.95 and packaged with three or five other films.

3. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

If you have a Region 2 player, FOX UK is releasing, in themed box sets, THE STUDIO CLASSICS COLLECTIONS-each with standalone disc and case*, with original poster art; at AMAZON.uk, they come, with shipping to USA, to about $46-odd dollars, or about 9 per disc- good value as they were each previously 00 list- on Oct 10.
    They arent exactly shouting about these, either;
    -----------------------
    STUDIO CLASSIC Box Sets:

*WAR MOVIES: Von Ryans Express; The Young Lions; The Hunters; The Sand Pebbles; The Desert Fox;

*WAR STORIES: The Longest Day; Sink the Bismark; The Desert Rats;
    12 O'clock High; A Farewell to Arms;

*FANTASTIC: The Fly[1958]; Day The Earth the Stood Still; Fantastic Voyage; Journey to the Centre of the Earth; Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea;

*ENCOUNTERS: Anastasia; Three Coins in the Fountain; Love is a Many Splendored Thing; The Inn of the Sixth Happiness; An Affair to Remember;

*AWARD WINNERS: All About Eve; How Green Was My Valley; Gentlemans Agreement; Zorba the Greek; Grapes of Wrath;

http://www.fox.co.uk/dvd/coming-soon/
    and-
    *THE ULTIMATE CLASSIC BOX SET- 70 films-some listed above, and others not yet apparently in their own sets. This is exclusive to AMAZON.uk;
    =$515; (-VAT for anyone outside UK) on Oct 24;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...714938-5868600

*as best as I can determine;

4. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

The UK box sets, while to some an approach preferable to buying several individual titles, only appear to include films that were previously released as part of some well-known Fox line-up.

I think the Studio Classics, Film Noir and War Classics line-ups work well in bringing some cohesion to a collection of films that otherwise would be lost in the avalanche of titles coming out every month. The Studio Classics and Film Noir releases have a unique themed appearance and both line-ups have websites dedicated to them. Their success isn't really in question; rather, Barrie Maxwell is justifiably worried about releases that aren't part of some kind of line-up and consequently get little promotion.

The MGM Midnite Movies line-up, especially the re-released double features, gathered a lot of attention among enthusiasts of films in that genre.

I agree that Fox should try to come up with something similar to Midnite Movies and the "brands" they currently have in order to give more publicity for films that deserve more than they currently get.

They also shouldn't abandon the line-ups they currently have. When was something last released as part of the Fox War Classics line-up? I think it's been a while.

5. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

Why not release a dvd series such as Fox Classic Musicals? It would be a great opportunity to deliver amazing movies such as Hello Frisco Hello, Tin Pan Alley, Moon Over Miami, Centennial Summer, Margie, Footlight Serenade, Down Argentine Way, Three Little Girls in Blue, That Night in Rio, Thin Ice, among others.

6. Paul Borges

Paul Borges Stunt Coordinator

I find doing this to be counter-productive. If you are sitting on titles what emphasis is there on FOX to increase staff to release more titles per year?

In my opinion, the people that do those transfers should be rewarded. If they released just one film this year and it was an excellent transfer of a film you like, then you wouldn't buy it? I don't get that. It isn't their fault that the execs at FOX aren't marketing the titles very well and giving them the budget needed to hire more staff to increase product.

7. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

DVDPlanet.com just announced PINKY, AN UNMARRIED WOMAN, STORMY WEATHER (with the Nicholas Brothers and Lena Horne and Cab Calloway), ISLAND IN THE SUN for January release from Fox...

8. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

SO, where are
    "VALLEY OF THE DOLLS"
    "MOVE OVER DARLING"
    "THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT"
    "WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER"

9. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott

I reward studios that care about releasing their products. I've bought nearly everyone of Warner's box sets to help improve sales even though the set didn't contain anything I really needed. Outside the Val Lewton Collection this year, none of Warner's other horror titles were one's I'd normally buy but I did buy them to support the studio. Why? Because I know they'll eventually get around to releasing something I want.

At first I did the same for Fox. I own #1-38 of their Studio Classics Line even though many of them were blind buys. I bought them to support such releases. Now, I'll only buy stuff that are among my favorites.

I'm certainly not saying Fox doesn't do great work because they do. However, I seriously think whoever's calling the shots over there needs to do a little homework.

Chan won't sell yet colorized, public domain Holmes films will?

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    What Michael said.

I did buy the Mike Shayne "Dressed to Kill" but that's because I like the other Shayne films I've seen and I'm hoping more will be released. I also bought "Mr. Hobbs" because I like the movie.

However, I don't feel like I should buy non-classics like "Return to Peyton Place" or relative obscurities like "Buffalo Bill" just to encourage Fox to release the true gems that are languishing in their vaults. That's what they have a marketing department for. They should be able to figure out that people want a Grable collection, a Power collection, a Laurel & Hardy collection, etc.

And don't discount those "B" pictures! Close to 50 years of showings on TV have created multiple generations of fans of all these type of films. The Chans could be sold as two box sets of 11 films each on 3 DVD-18s corresponding to the two actors who played Chan. Warners and Universal have exploited the "B" series fan base by releasing DVDs that are out already or will be next year. Meanwhile Fox is sitting on some of the most popular series ever to come out of Hollywood and letting bootleggers have a field day with them.

11. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

It should be noted that, other than Zorba the Greek and the Day the Earth Stood Still, the R2 versions do not contain any of the extras which were on R1.

12. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Fox marketing department can be pretty strange. A while ago they released some new religious thmed films. Much wanted is david and Bathsheba, Story of Ruth, and the Egyptian. Instead, Fox releases Francis of Assisi, of all things. Terrible film, no cult following etc. I can't imagine they sold many of these.
    Last night, Biogrpahy channel ran a bio of susan Hayward, one of Fox biggest actresses. It's time fox released Garden of evil, Untamed, Soldier of Fortune, Untamed, With a Song in My Heart, The marriage Go Round, david and Bathsheba, all with Miss Hayward.

13. Paul Borges

Paul Borges Stunt Coordinator

Just to clear up...I never said I would buy a movie just because it's by FOX or WARNER or whoever. I just was making the point that if FOX released a movie I like, then I would think it's worth a buy because they do good transfers. To me it doesn't make sense to boycot all their titles because they aren't releasing the other movies I really want.

Do many of you buy for example, all Warner titles just because it's by Warner? I could never do that, I'm too poor! Plus most titles would probably be watched only once.

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Hi Paul,

I understand what you saying. In my case I don't buy every Warner classic title that comes out (and gas prices have put some purchases on hold), but I do buy more than I normally would because of their track record shows that supporting these releases causes more gems to come out and because of their supplementary material. For example, I'm not a Marx Brothers fan, but I bought the box to support these type of releases and because they included some great supplements.

By no means do I boycott all Fox releases; I've been quite pleased with the ones I do have. It's just that I don't buy near as many of them as I do Warner. If I knew that they committed to getting the more popular classic titles out the way Warners was, I'd be more faithful consumer of their products. Unfortunately there are not even any rumors about most of the items on Barrie's MIA list and in some cases they've publicly stated that there are no plans for a release.

Steve

15. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

FOX US COVERS OF THEIR CLASSICS ARE THE WORST !!!!!!
    Whomever, is executing these covers for their classic releases should be FIRED !!!!!

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

There are a lot comments posted on this forum that don't make sense, but to each his own. I rather spend my time watching the dvds I'm able to then me worrying too much about which dvds are not available for me to watch.

Crawdaddy