What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That pretty much describes my situation. I've got just about everything that I (presently) know I want. Of course, as I learn more about more films, they get added to the list, and on and on it goes. But with some 400 Criterion titles in my collection (a few of those are still laserdisc), I'm feeling pretty good about it right about now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I forget that I also got Repo Man this time around too. Plus, I bought some Bergman and Jarmusch titles for a friend that is higher class than me.

Since you guys brought up the amount of Criterions owned, I took a look and was surprised to see that I own more than 60 between DVD and Blu-ray (and probably closer to 70 if I count my laserdiscs). I figured I only had maybe 25 or 30. Needless to say, I'm lagging behind those with 400 titles or nearly all (!) of them but I was 'impressed' with my total.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My haul:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
A Man Escaped
The Darjeeling Limited
Following
Wild Strawberries
Kiss Me Deadly
On the Waterfront
and of course, Safety Last!

I may go by today and pick up one more. I did have some difficulty yesterday with coupons though.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And I've now added 8 1/2 and Breathless. I watch 81/2 at least once a year so I figured it was finally time to upgrade the DVD set.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I got:
Shochiku eclipse
kobayashi eclipse

Following
Brazil
Pina
On the Waterfront
Tin Drum
Man Who Knew Too Much
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Les Visiteurs du soir
Badlands
Life and Death of Cololel blimp
Richard III
Repo Man
Ballad of Narayama
Ministry of Fear
Gate of Hell
Wild Strawberries
Marketa Lazarova
Things to Come
Safety Last
Life of Oharu
Babette's Feast
Ice Storm
Medium Cool

The only things on my list I didn't get were: Qatsi Trilogy, Pierre Etaix, Shoah, Lord of the Flies and Devil's Backbone. And I probably should have had Two Land Blacktop, Ivan's Childhood, Chronicle of a Summer, The Blob, a Man Escaped, Monsieur Verdoux, Naked Lunch, and 3:10 to Yuma on my list as well, but I ruled all those out (along with the above) in an attempt at sanity.

I saved in members discount and coupons, 93$ more or less, membership cost me 27$ so it seems as though it was a good investment. Or not, I'd have probably bought fewer than ten titles if I didn't have the membership this sale!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I should do a figuring of my assualt on this sale. Are you calculating your savings of MSRP? Seems like you should have saved a LOT more than that buying all those...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
member discount of 10% was worth $52 this sale on the titles I bought. Various member coupons netted me another $43.95. (I'm counting the 15% off coupon there, I never receive coupons from BN by email to my member address).

Savings off MSRP I'd have gotten without buying the membership, so the membership value is the member discount plus the member coupons minus the membership fee.

I realized too late that if you aren't buying only $40 MSRP titles that the perfect value maximizing way to use the $5 off coupon is to buy a $50, $40 and $30 title on the same purchase, this adds up to an MSRP of 120, discounted to $60, discounted by membership to 54, discounted with the $5 off coupon to $49. I had three 3 $50 titles and 3 $30 titles I wanted to buy and instead of combining those with three of the many $40 titles, I bought two of the 50s at once and 2 of the 30s in combination with two of the 40s. I could have used another $5 coupon if I'd planned it out better.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
My sweet spot is similar, 3 $40 titles for a 5/50. With $50 titles you're far better off using the 8/40 coupon. I didn't realize you were just calculating the membership aspect of your savings and not the entire savings of MSRP

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I've only ever got the 8/40 coupon to work once on a $50 title, it's very rare that you get to pass it on one of those. I didn't even get it to work on the $60 eclipse titles this time, usually those are more of a 70 or 80% success rate.

I miss the Pico/Westwood BN, they accepted almost any coupon every time.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm still waiting for my first batch of titles to arrive. Getting close to 20 days now. As much as I love these B&N sales, the shipping is ridiculous. They might be lost for all I know. I might just skip them in the future and do the 50% flash sales that Criterion themselves sometimes host. At least when you buy direct you receive the titles in a couple weeks. I'm in Canada so don't get the coupons anyway. :S

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's a little strange -- many of the Canadians on the other forums were amazed at how fast they received them this sale (5-10 days instead of the usual 4 weeks). Most isn't all of course -- I'm assuming you mean 20 days after shipping and not after ordering.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
anyone know the Nov 2013 sale dates that B&N have planned for the 50% off sale, just wondering if the date will cover that massive Zatoichi set, or will end before then?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don't know for sure, but I expect it to cover the Zatoichi set. In the past the sale covered titles that came out the week after the sale date, so it should fall in line. fingers crossed anyway.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I just sat down and planned out my purchases for this sale and it's not going to be much since I was naughty and got the Bergman/Rossellini set and I Married a Witch at the flash sale

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Updates on BN Special Sales

Criterion 50% Sale 11/5/2013 through 12/2/2013

British TV 50% Sale 12/10 -- 12/16

40% All Movies -- 12/17 - 12/24

No special discount coupons available yet though I'm hoping for a couple rounds of email coupons before the end -- 15-20% at least and maybe 25-30% for Black Friday weekend. Usually they send these through email every 2-3 weeks.

Also November GC Promotion --
Starting today BN is replaying it's "Free BN $10 GC for Purchase of BN $75GC" for the next month -- expires 12/2.The free $10 Promo GC will not be active until 12/26 however though this didn't always seem to be followed last year particularly for the instore GC. If the same rules apply it's once per account online, but can be used multiple times in store. An easy 12% added savings if you're going to buy stuff anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks