What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (3 Viewers)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
everytime I think I'm out... Stopped on lunch today and got Richard III, Marketa Lazarova and Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. And I can feel the urge to stop at another store on my way home and pick up some more. Only problem is my list has dwindled. Do I get Lord of the Flies and Devil's Backbone, both of which I already have? Or do I blind buy for Les Visiteurs du Suir, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gate of Hell and Ballad of Narayama?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I came off relatively unscathed, three online orders in three weeks, each for 2 discs so it qualified for free shipping. Shoah, Lord of the Flies, Ice Storm, Tanner 88, and Thin Red Line with Safety Last. I'll have to be in the right mood for Shoah and Tanner 88.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I know the feeling. I was done, then I went and got 6 and ordered 6 more into store. In addition to one I found cheap on eBay, with this last big chunk I'm going to be up to 661, with only 4 left to get.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
July was a very expensive month. :eek:

I made three trips to the local Barnes & Noble and here's what I ended up with:

Safety Last (I would recommend this to anyone and everyone.)
Things to Come (I watched the extras, but haven't really been in the mood for the film.)
The Man Who Knew Too Much
The 39 Steps (The Hitchcocks were all upgrades to Blu)
The Lady Vanishes
Repo Man
Monsoon Wedding
On the Waterfront
Night of the Hunter
By Brakhage
The Seventh Seal
Wild Strawberries
And Everything is Going Fine
Gray's Anatomy
and
M (upgrade to Blu)

Now all I need to do is find the time to watch them all and all the extras. I probably won't get through all of it before the next sale. It's always interesting to see what everyone else is buying and to get their views on the films.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Suzanne.S said:
July was a very expensive month. :eek:

I made three trips to the local Barnes & Noble and ...
Same here. My behavior has been fiscally outrageous, and it'll almost be a relief to sit back for a few months. (Just till November...)

Anyway, 20% coupon in the email this morning, and a few days ago I received two 20% coupon cards in the snail mail. Add to that the "usual" 5/50 and 8/40 and I'm about ready for my fourth and final assault.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
First time I used it required a manual override, though the coupon does say not to be used with other promotional discounts.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Two stores today. Used a 5/50 and a 20% at each, and the second also applied an 8/40 on a $50 MSRP set which really floored (and delighted) me.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have some extra 15% codes for those who can use them, but don't get BN emails -- just send me a PM and let me know how many you need. These can't be used online for Criterions though work for other things and as above instore is a bit of a YMMV. Most of my stores will use them, but occasionally they will balk.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm glad that I got mostly done with the Criterions before they started cracking down so bad. At the next sale i'll just be catching up all the gaps between now and then and the 4 DVDs I still need if I don't get them in the meantime.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This sale was HUGE for me (don't even ask) and I took every advantage I knew how to take. If they had cracked down on the use of coupons at my stores, a few of my purchasing decisions might have been different ..... but not necessarily.

This sales is the most wonderful boon to collecting some of the best stuff out there. I would LOVE to know the ratio of Criterion "units" sold in a given year at 50% off vs. anything close to list price. This has to be where most of their sales are generated. (Yes? No?)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know exactly how many movies I got because of box sets, but I got 62 spine numbers during this sale...

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
The 20% coupon I received for this weekend didn't stipulate no criterions. And every coupon I've used this sale stated "discount to be taken after all other eligible discounts.". So I picked up Godzilla today for 15.13, including tax. Last week I used a 8/40 and got Cronos for about ten bucks. The employees seemed happy that I was taking advantage of such deals and coupons. All in all I picked up 9 titles this go round, and may still pick up stagecoach and the killing before Tuesday.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Between new stuff and Blu-ray upgrades, I bought way more than I had planned but I suppose the good news is that I've basically got every Criterion title that I want at this point. Over the course of the sale, I picked up Badlands, Cul-de-sac, Days Of Heaven, The Ice Storm, Kiss Me Deadly, Naked Lunch, Repulsion, The Thin Red Line and Videodrome.

Of course, I can still name a handful of titles that I might buy in the November sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks