What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would probably still buy most Criterions from B&N's sale w/ or w/out the membership discount... just because I get discounted Discover rewards GCs to buy most of them -- I don't have a ton of better use for them otherwise.

Just will have far less incentive to renew membership though... especially during this pandemic...

_Man_

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Choose to purchase from Amazon due to losing the 10% membership discount. Just didn't feel like giving B&N my money. Kind of silly but that is what I decided to do.

David Norman

Premium
I think I'll choose to buy from BN for no other reasons that I would like to buy Criterion for 50% off in the future more than 2 days a year. As long as BN has an in-store Criterion selection that by itself is worth a 10% bonus in price and the fact that I can get 10-20% extra off that 50% instead of 25-35+% is still a genuine bonus. I can regularly buy BN cards for rather large discounts,
I haven;t found a way yet to get Amazon to sell Criterion's for more than 30% off without having a rabbit.

I may or may not renew my membership next June, but so far I'm seeing nothing that gets me even a lower price, much less the extra bonus of picking it up in person -- at least until Bullmoose decides to open a branch store in the South

Buying for net $15-18 instead of $12-14 still beats $25-30
Amazon hasn';t yet convinced me that they will altruistically just sell items cheaply so I'll root for the rabbit over the coyote.

Last edited:

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Until 11/8 at midnight eastern, BN has a 10% off coupon code: TAKE10. You're supposed to apply it online to pick up in store, but it didn't work. So I told the cashier and got it applied in person.

If I have to give my money to a corporation, I'd prefer one that keeps physical book store chains alive, for now, rather than the internet's equivalent to Walmart.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ooops. Thanks, fellas. I saw "Fellini"...but processed "Bergman."

In other news, the Bergman set on Blu seems to have disappeared.
I noticed the Bergman set appeared to no longer be on sale and I wondered if that was the confusion.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I think I'll choose to buy from BN for no other reasons that I would like to buy Criterion for 50% off in the future more than 2 days a year. As long as BN has an in-store Criterion selection that by itself is worth a 10% bonus in price and the fact that I can get 10-20% extra off that 50% instead of 25-35+% is still a genuine bonus. I can regularly buy BN cards for rather large discounts,
I haven;t found a way yet to get Amazon to sell Criterion's for more than 30% off without having a rabbit.

I may or may not renew my membership next June, but so far I'm seeing nothing that gets me even a lower price, much less the extra bonus of picking it up in person -- at least until Bullmoose decides to open a branch store in the South

Buying for net $15-18 instead of $12-14 still beats $25-30
Amazon hasn';t yet convinced me that they will altruistically just sell items cheaply so I'll root for the rabbit over the coyote.
I've always purchased from Barnes and Noble, when they have had sales. However, this year they decided not to offer overseas shipping, so I have no other choice than Amazon.

David Norman

Premium
I can't fault non-US customers for using a different method. OTOH, the loss of international isn't likely to kill the goose that supplies the eggs that the Duck next door is acting like they own. When only the Duck is alive, the eggs will taste a lot different

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So if Amazon is the internet's equivalent of Walmart, what is walmart.com akin to? :biggrin:

If I have to give my money to a corporation, I'd prefer one that keeps physical book store chains alive, for now, rather than the internet's equivalent to Walmart.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
In addition to price matching Amazon has coupons on some Criterions ranging I think from 33 Cents to $3.66 . Didn't see any coupons on preorders. Examples Save additional $1.66 on "The Fugitive Kind", save $2 on "The Great Escape" and on 'A Face In The Crowd" save $3.66. I didn't see any coupons on foreign language films such as "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg " or "Day For Night"

Amazon has a Criterion Store now. Makes it easier to see which titles are matching B&N and which have additional coupons.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was at Barnes & Noble today and picked up A Brief History of Time and the Complete Monterey Pop Festival.

noel aguirre

Premium
Real Name
noel
Choose to purchase from Amazon due to losing the 10% membership discount. Just didn't feel like giving B&N my money. Kind of silly but that is what I decided to do.

Not silly - wise. Who can afford not to take recourse on something as petty as this with no notice sent out to members? And we all need to be aware of how our money is spent these days. It’s why many bought memberships in the first place- to pay less on Criterions. Wait until members including myself don’t renew when their membership expires. How much money they will now lose- memberships and disc sales.
They have shot themselves in the foot. I give them another year before they fold up as Amazon is getting my Criterion $$ from now on due to the rewards I get there. I will definitely be purchasing Fellini and Varda from Amazon now because of this.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not silly - wise. Who can afford not to take recourse on something as petty as this with no notice sent out to members? And we all need to be aware of how our money is spent these days. It’s why many bought memberships in the first place- to pay less on Criterions. Wait until members including myself don’t renew when their membership expires. How much money they will now lose- memberships and disc sales.
They have shot themselves in the foot. I give them another year before they fold up as Amazon is getting my Criterion $$ from now on due to the rewards I get there. I will definitely be purchasing Fellini and Varda from Amazon now because of this.

They definitely should've given some notice that members no longer get the discount. And the apparent lack of clear info about it even when asked -- I asked the cashier -- is bad. I understand why a regular cashier might not know much about it, but the lack of notice will inevitably lead to questions directed toward the cashier at checkout.

Since I (and many others) wasn't caught by surprise at this, I wasn't upset and just bought what I wanted anyway -- sure, I was hoping, but not really expecting. But others who didn't know would certainly be understandably upset about it.

Ideally, they probably should've actually asked for members' feedback on such a change well ahead of time, and then give notice alongside a clarified last sale w/ the discount, so people won't be caught off guard and can make reasonable plans wrt their membership and future sales.

However, as @David Norman mentioned, it's in our own best interest to not just abandon B&N over this. We could all use some competition, especially some w/ significant brick-and-mortar presence, to keep Amazon more honest and customer-friendly. If the B&N membership is worthless to you w/out this particular discount, then simply don't renew. The sale itself sans extra discount is still very good and essentially unsurpassed, and it's the only reason why Amazon is reacting w/ their own temporary price cuts.

Don't cut one's own nose off to spite one's own face afterall...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw