Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If you order titles one at a time, you don't take the hit on shipping that you do without a membership.
Yeah, I wish I had one for that reason. If that were the case, I wouldn't have to wait for one thing I kind of want to come back in stock before I order the other one that I want that is in stock now.

However, this is the first time I've shopped at the website in years. When I logged in, I discovered they still had my home address from six years and two houses ago set as my default address. That was worth a good laugh while I was deleting it. So the membership wouldn't make any sense for me at this time.

Our local store is in the same mall as the AMC movie theater which I used to go to before they remodeled it to segregate the wheelchair seats exclusively to the back row. Back when I used to go to that theater, I would stop into B&N periodically, but even then I would find retail prices or nominal most things. One time, I did an impulse buy of a book that looked interesting while I was at the theater for Baby Driver, and then came back to Amazon and found I'd overpaid by $15 at B&N. I like that physical bookstores exist, but it doesn't make sense to me to pay more just to get something there.

Because I never actually go to that movie theater anymore, my shopping at that mall has also decreased. Typically, I go in there during the Criterion sale and that's it. I would probably have gone in there today if not for the virus, but we are getting absolutely hammered here, so I'm just doing online shopping this time. I usually enjoy being able to go in and get it right there. Hopefully by the summer sale comes around again next July, there will be a vaccine and I can just go in and get stuff without having to worry about a free shipping minimum.

On another note, does anyone remember when during the month Criterion usually announces new releases? I know they are announced through their September slate, but have never paid any particular attention to when they make those announcements. I was wondering if, perhaps, an announcement for the October titles could be forthcoming before the end of the sale. If so, would those go up for pre-order and qualify at the reduced pricing temporarily?

Last edited:

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
On another note, does anyone remember when during the month Criterion usually announces new releases?
It's generally on the 15th of the month (or the closest week day) so the October announcements should be this Wednesday.

Personally, I'm hoping for I Walked With A Zombie or some other horror title.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We know that they will be releasing Original Cast Album Company at some point, and it is already on the Criterion Channel. That is a holy grail title for me one of the few titles I care enough about to actually pay $27.99+tax from Amazon for regardless of a deeper sale. So it would certainly be nice If that were to be announced and listed during a sale period. But if not, I'll pay more for it.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Last edited:

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
Is that normal for pre-orders with B&N? My order includes Marriage Story, which is being released on July 21, and it currently says they will ship it on that date. It would be nice if it went out a little earlier, although if I wait a few days after the release, that won't be a huge problem. I am pleased that they are shipping it for free because the whole order was over $35, even though it was the only pre-order I included and therefore the other two in-stock ones shipped separately.
I don't preorder a lot of items at B&N, but normally I get them pretty close to release date. Occasionally Saturday, but it's rare that I remember many later than Wednesday unless it's one of those that every retailer has issues with. The MOD titles (Warner, Universal, Sony) are always more unpredictable, but the Criterions I've preordered usually ship a few days pre-release

Or are you talking B&N shelving/unboxing new releases prior to release day - that is unusual, but may be partially due to lower staff. The Mall Anchor store has been really bad about not even unboxing their new releases for days after release since they eliminated the Dedicated Movie Clerk/Manager. Anytime I'm having trouble at that store I try to sneak behind the counter or on their Cart and look at the open boxes to see what;s not been put on display yet and it's amazing how often I'd find 1-2 week old titles still in their shipping box.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Or are you talking B&N shelving/unboxing new releases prior to release day
No, I was just wondering when to expect my Marriage Story pre-order, so your first paragraph answered that. Thanks. I normally do my disc pre-orders with Amazon, where I get free shipping via Prime. I went with B&N on this one because I was already ordering two other in-stock Criterions, so it didn't cost me any shipping to throw it in.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Huh. Of the three titles I ordered...only Destry Rides Again and The Story of Temple Drake have shipped. NOT The Lady Eve.
Got The Lady Eve today. War of the Worlds on track for tomorrow. I just remember ordering from BN around 10:30 am on the 10th. Originated in Kentucky to Central Florida if that makes a difference.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freewheelinhippie