What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (3 Viewers)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Does the preorder on B&N now say out of stock? Because I was able to order mine this morning and to my surprise, they're already shipping it (though admittedly it won't arrive until after release date since I chose free shipping). I was surprised and was expecting it to arrive like way later, figuring there would be a run on the bank, especially since I'm west coast and 3 hours behind EST.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

That's strange. I can't speak to Barnes & Noble's stocking it, but I can speak to the disc. I would normally have waited to pick it up during this sale, but I had some gift certificates lying around for Criterion's website. Combining those plus their 30% off sale last month, I was able to get it for $14.91 shipped. So I went ahead and did that because that price handily beats 50% off. It is a wonderful disc with a gorgeous transfer that is stunning to watch. If you can find it online while it's in stock, you should get it for sure. I'm very glad that it is part of my collection. It is one of my favorite Criterion releases and I'm so glad they got to do the disc.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still haven't seen a copy of Portrait of a Lady on Fire at my local Barnes and Nobles since it was released.

Picked up a copy in store today -- only one on display but that's pretty normal for the majority of Criterions at my media stores.
Very few new releases and a few of the bigger sellers historically occ will have multiples on display

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I still haven't seen a copy of Portrait of a Lady on Fire at my local Barnes and Nobles since it was released.
Same. I stopped by the Colonie Center Barnes & Noble store today, and came away 0 for 2 (The Great Escape and Portrait of a Lady on Fire). I'm not sure that the store has restocked its movies since it reopened.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
It was nice to shop inside B&N. It’s the first time I’ve been inside a store since the virus lockdown. I almost felt like the nightmare was over. However, I found 4 of the 6 titles I wanted (War of the Worlds, Leave Her to Heaven, The Great Escape, & Show Boat). I hope to pick up Prince of Tides & Unmarried Woman next week. They had them in stock but couldn’t find them.
The Technicolor of War of the Worlds and Leave Her to Heaven is gorgeous. Extras on the latter are sparse, but the one discussion of director John Stahl by critic, Imogen Sara Smith is excellent. The extras on War of the Worlds more numerous and varied. There are a couple of audio only features (Orson Wells) and another by Pal. The prices $20 and the 10% member discount was a pleasant surprise.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Correction to an earlier post. Ship to home does not give you the 10% off membership discount unless you can get the clerk or their manager to manually apply it. I ordered "The Lady Eve" preorder ship to home and discount was not given. I asked to see manager and they applied it. A little frustrating because "The Lady Eve" was on a shelf behind the check out but they wouldn't allow me to buy it since it is not being released until Tuesday.

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Correction to an earlier post. Ship to home does not give you the 10% off membership discount unless you can get the clerk or their manager to manually apply it. I ordered "The Lady Eve" preorder ship to home and discount was not given. I asked to see manager and they applied it. A little frustrating because "The Lady Eve" was on a shelf behind the check out but they wouldn't allow me to buy it since it is not being released until Tuesday.
I think that’s nice of them to do that. Myself, I would have asked if they could hold it for me till Tuesday. You must be pretty persuasive.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I went to two Barnes and Nobles. No copies of WOTW alas so I had to order that from Amazon where the price has dropped low enough for me. With members discount I came away with:

Stagecoach
Destry Rides Again
The Lady Eve (I had no trouble buying it)
Leave Her To Heaven
Mildred Pierce
The Black Stallion

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm pleased The Lady Eve has already been shipped by BN, so likely to get before or by the actual release date.

Is that normal for pre-orders with B&N? My order includes Marriage Story, which is being released on July 21, and it currently says they will ship it on that date. It would be nice if it went out a little earlier, although if I wait a few days after the release, that won't be a huge problem. I am pleased that they are shipping it for free because the whole order was over $35, even though it was the only pre-order I included and therefore the other two in-stock ones shipped separately.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Man, this sale is wonky. Now they have Mr. Fox back in stock, but Smiles of a Summer Night, which was in-stock before, is out. :laugh: Either I'll check back later again, or I might just be smart and say I'm done until the next sale. $63 for the three that I bought yesterday is fair, and a good price for those, but it's also a lot. So, dunno.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Man, this sale is wonky. Now they have Mr. Fox back in stock, but Smiles of a Summer Night, which was in-stock before, is out. :laugh: Either I'll check back later again, or I might just be smart and say I'm done until the next sale. $63 for the three that I bought yesterday is fair, and a good price for those, but it's also a lot. So, dunno.

Yeah, titles are still going in and out of stock on an hourly basis.

Still waiting for 3:10 to Yuma to come back in stock. It was out, came back in stock and I sat on it for awhile. It went back out of stock but I am guessing it will return.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, titles are still going in and out of stock on an hourly basis.

Still waiting for 3:10 to Yuma to come back in stock. It was out, came back in stock and I sat on it for awhile. It went back out of stock but I am guessing it will return.
This is where having a B&N membership comes in handy on the website even without the 10 percent in-store discount. If you order titles one at a time, you don't take the hit on shipping that you do without a membership.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The sale runs for three weeks. Everybody is going mad these first two days. Calm Down and be patient.

In a week or so, stocks will stabilize, and most titles will be back In stock. The titles aren’t limited. They won’t sell out.
People, get a grip

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't think there's a need to tell members here to "get a grip"

Nobody is in panic mode. We have been made aware that the sale is going on for weeks. We also know the stock is coming in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks