Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Maybe it will be different this year because of...well...you know.
Since B&N has pulled back on most other incentives I'm going to say not. Pretty much all the email coupons and even Member Special Coupons have dried up. Since the new ownership group arrived, they sent out 1 single 20% coupon in the mail in mid November instead of the usual pair, skipped December's and usually what would be Feb's pair completely.

Email Coupons were sent in Mid Jan, Pres Day and a small one in mid March, none for Easter nor May 5. Used to be we'd get at least an email code every other week. If they miss Mothers Day then I'm not holding my breath for at least one of their two major Summer sales leading into Fathers Day. The weeklong "Semi-Annual 40% off all Bluray" was one of the 5 of 6 major Bluray sales they had every year. It was primarily an In-store Sale with a lesser Online version so I;m not sure what to expect.

Somewhere last Fall they eliminated a Decade long NEW MEMBER WELCOME coupon packet that was sent for most 1st Time Members

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
With many or possibly even most physical B&Ns closed right now due to the virus, and shipping times delayed on the website, I would question whether or not there will even be a Criterion sale this summer.

I have Marriage Story pre-ordered with Amazon for the time being, but would switch and get it from B&N if they do have a sale because it is coming out in July during when they would normally have one. But I'm not expecting one. I'd love to be wrong.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This isn't specifically related to a sale, but is about Criterion so I thought I would post it here rather than creating an individual thread.

I have shopped with Criterion before, but I have not done a pre-order directly from their store before.

If I were to pre-order an upcoming disc from the Criterion store, would they bill me when I place the order or would they bill me only upon shipment? Also, if the former, would they put through a pending charge like Best Buy does, or would they just not touch the card until shipment like Amazon?

And finally, let's say I have two gift certificates. Is there any reason I couldn't stack both of those onto the same order? Thanks to anyone who shares anything.

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Since the orders are filled via ALLIANCE I;m assuming they'll use the same process as they do at Deep Discount or B&N

I THINK (actually pretty sure):
Final Charge is usually at time of shipment
Preauth is usually done at time of order and fall off in a few days (number seems to be diff depending on the Bank holding the card)

100% sure -- 2 GC or Cert can be used on the same order. I've done a $50 Reward Cert and $10 Promo Cert on the same order at least once.
I want to say I used two different $10 once as well, but that could be be faulty memory. I do remember it being a little tricky making sure the GC were actually applied to the order

• Appreciate
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you, David!

I have two gift cards for $10 each. I'm debating whether to use them now to pre-order Marriage Story (which I already have on order with Amazon and could cancel) or if I just want to save those for an eventual future 50% flash sale and keep Marriage Story where it is. The price of Criterion's shipping would also be a factor, because with Amazon I have Prime. The gift cards are both pretty old, so they have not been burning a hole in my pocket yet or anything.

Last edited:

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
My opinion -- with Marriage Story coming out in July I'd wait to see about the B&N sale. If the sale happens then Amazon would like PM anyway assuming you don't want to switch to B&N pickup -- my opinion on whether to buy from B&N vs amazon is pretty easy

IMO save the GC for a 50% sale. If you were going to use it for a June release or even mid August rather wait for the presumed sale I could make a better case for preordering now while Criterion has the 30% off prices, but only if you can hit the FS limit

• Appreciate
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Reggie W

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Pike Bishop
As a heads up Bullmoose is running a $19.97 sale on certain Criterion blu-ray titles. Not newer releases but something like Blue Velvet or Local Hero or Do the Right Thing is $19.97. A title like Roma is $23.97. The Jackie Chan Police Story double feature is $25.97.

Reactions: Osato

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandeepumtneha