Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale

Darby67

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Sean
After enjoying The Palm Beach Story, I went for one more final draw from the well and purchased:

The Lady Eve
Sullivan's Travels;
Unfaithfully Yours
I Married a Witch

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
After enjoying The Palm Beach Story, I went for one more final draw from the well and purchased:

The Lady Eve
Sullivan's Travels;
Unfaithfully Yours
I Married a Witch
I know you went for your final draw, but All About Eve should be available tomorrow (11/26) while the sale is still on. I saw that title on your list earlier. :)

Reactions: Darby67 and Osato

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I know you went for your final draw, but All About Eve should be available tomorrow (11/26) while the sale is still on. I saw that title on your list earlier.
Oh no! And I'm going to be at my local B&N tomorrow. I might just have to check things out. :D I was kinda hoping to convince myself that my 2011 Blu would be good enough. Dammit!

What are the other new releases tomorrow? Gotta go find David's list...

Reactions: Darby67

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
For folks that are looking for some easy extra savings, there's an interesting set of deals coming open

HAPPY CARDS are a unique preloaded card good at a specific set of stores -- some online, most in-store. There are sold direct at HappyCards.com and via those large BlackHawk/GiftCardMall standups in many stores (Grocery, Lowes/HomeDepot, Staples/OfficeDepot, etc). HAPPY TEEN includes Barnes & Noble (also Regal, Sephora, American Eagle, Jamba, Dave and Busters, UnderArmor). Fairly commonly there are deals 5-20% off purchase of these cards.

Kroger stores have a deal this week with their Digital coupons for $10 off $100 purchase good through 12/2 I think
2 weeks ago there was an online Kroger/Blackhawk deal for 20% off 50/100/or $150.
Office Max/Office Depot has a current in-store sale good through 11/30 for $20 off $150 (13% discount)
Some AMEX cards have a HappyCard offer $15 off $100 ordering through HappyCards.com.

Barnes and Noble appears will be running their Black Friday Gift Card sale again this year -- Buy $50GC in-store, Get a special $10 loaded Promotional GC (note the promo card isn't good activated until 12/26 and expires 2/29/20).

I've done this a couple of times and can confirm it works without a problem -- Buy HappyTeen Card, then use it to buy B&N Cards in store. Since it's a Prepaid Card and not a Gift Card this works fine (swipe HappyTeen card, it asks for PIN, press green enter button since it doesn't have a PIN, select CREDIT, Done).

With the OfficeDepot deal that should net you $180 in cards for $130 OOP -- 28% invisible discount so it stacks with 40/50/60% off Sales, store member discounts and even coupons on items that allow.

The Promo GC are delayed activation and can't be used until after Christmas so you probably should wait for some sort of sale which isn't always predictable. The Expiration date can be a problem, BUT it's pretty easy to buy something and return it later which will be loaded onto a normal GC with no expiration date.

Reactions: Darby67 and Osato

Mike Frezon

Reaction score

Rodney

Cinematographer
Premium
Reaction score
Drove out to the local Barnes & Noble store last night and picked up the two latest releases, along with an October release the other B&N store I visited back on November 6th didn't have:
  • Matewan
  • All About Eve
  • Now, Voyager
I then went online and ordered a few Arrow releases. I'm hoping they will continue these sales come next year, now that it is a subsidiary of Elliott.

Reactions: Darby67

Darby67

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Sean
I know you went for your final draw, but All About Eve should be available tomorrow (11/26) while the sale is still on. I saw that title on your list earlier. :)
Matt:

Thank you for the reminder. I did actually pre-order All About Eve in one of my earlier "final" orders..which turned out to be as "final" as The Who's 1982 Farewell Tour! :D

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
I did actually pre-order All About Eve in one of my earlier "final" orders..which turned out to be as "final" as The Who's 1982 Farewell Tour! :D
We won't get fooled again! :laugh:

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
I picked up a copy of All About Eve and opened it to find this. The hubs are sticky all over which makes me think they just forgot to add the plastic tray. It was awkward pulling a little adhesive off the centers of the discs.

Did anyone else's come like this?

20191129_205225.jpg

Reactions: Osato

DavidJ

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David
That’s weird...

I haven’t bought anything this sale and I don’t know if I will. I wanted to pick up a couple of things but I’ve been unpacking boxes in our garage from a remodel and reorganizing my discs and it’s been eye opening. I knew I had a lot unwatched. I just didn’t know it was this many. :eek::eek::eek:

B-ROLL

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Bryan
I picked up a copy of All About Eve and opened it to find this. The hubs are sticky all over which makes me think they just forgot to add the plastic tray. It was awkward pulling a little adhesive off the centers of the discs.

Did anyone else's come like this?

View attachment 65551
Mine came from Target and both discs were FIRMLY attached. :( ... Another packaging fail from Criterion.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
Howie:

Did your All About Eve have standard plastic disc trays inside (where Matt's only has those little black, sticky hubs?).

B-ROLL

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Bryan
Howie:

Did your All About Eve have standard plastic disc trays inside (where Matt's only has those little black, sticky hubs?).
Nope, there's a Booklet in-between sticky hubs. The disc on the left is the Movie.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
I heard back from Criterion on the All About Eve issue. They wrote:

We are aware that there are some issues with the Blu-Ray packaging for this release. Specifically that the rubber hubs have resulted in the ripping of some booklets, which is a disappointment and is not what we intended. We will not be doing this version of the packaging again for any other releases. A future batch of ALL ABOUT EVE will have standard plastic digipak discholder.

These new standard digipaks with plastic disc holders will be available within the next few weeks, if you would prefer to receive that along with a new booklet and slipcase. This replacement option is free of charge to ship within US or Canada and is available for those who purchased through Criterion.com, Barnes and Noble and Amazon. If you'd like replacements, please fill out the following form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfYDPFcEGfi9eufaxvWRBKyoGsV90cCkoXK2_9nzPmMeOTURg/viewform

Once the new packaging is on the way to you we'll follow up with tracking information.
They don't mention replacing any damaged discs but I imagine they would if asked. Ours were fine. It's funny they present this as their choice, rather than a manufacturing error, but a very satisfactory response.

DavidJ

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David
That’s weird...

I haven’t bought anything this sale and I don’t know if I will. I wanted to pick up a couple of things but I’ve been unpacking boxes in our garage from a remodel and reorganizing my discs and it’s been eye opening. I knew I had a lot unwatched. I just didn’t know it was this many. :eek::eek::eek:
BTW, I did go to B&N on the last day of the sale and pick up Notorious and Cluny Brown.

Paul Bosquet

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
Do you have to be a Barnes and Noble member to take advantage of these Semi-Annual sales?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A reminder since it always comes up -- for in-store purchases only, not online
Maybe it will be different this year because of...well...you know.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aron.l.bates