1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    After enjoying The Palm Beach Story, I went for one more final draw from the well and purchased:

The Lady Eve
    Sullivan's Travels;
    Unfaithfully Yours
    I Married a Witch

2. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

I know you went for your final draw, but All About Eve should be available tomorrow (11/26) while the sale is still on. I saw that title on your list earlier. :)

Darby67 and Osato like this.
  3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Oh no! And I'm going to be at my local B&N tomorrow. I might just have to check things out. :D I was kinda hoping to convince myself that my 2011 Blu would be good enough. Dammit!

[​IMG]

What are the other new releases tomorrow? Gotta go find David's list... [​IMG]

Darby67 likes this.
  4. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Some guy around here does a roundup of weekly releases, you might look there. ;)

Darby67 and DavidJ like this.
  5. David Norman

David Norman Producer

For folks that are looking for some easy extra savings, there's an interesting set of deals coming open

HAPPY CARDS are a unique preloaded card good at a specific set of stores -- some online, most in-store. There are sold direct at HappyCards.com and via those large BlackHawk/GiftCardMall standups in many stores (Grocery, Lowes/HomeDepot, Staples/OfficeDepot, etc). HAPPY TEEN includes Barnes & Noble (also Regal, Sephora, American Eagle, Jamba, Dave and Busters, UnderArmor). Fairly commonly there are deals 5-20% off purchase of these cards.

Kroger stores have a deal this week with their Digital coupons for $10 off $100 purchase good through 12/2 I think
    2 weeks ago there was an online Kroger/Blackhawk deal for 20% off 50/100/or $150.
    Office Max/Office Depot has a current in-store sale good through 11/30 for $20 off $150 (13% discount)
    Some AMEX cards have a HappyCard offer $15 off $100 ordering through HappyCards.com.

Barnes and Noble appears will be running their Black Friday Gift Card sale again this year -- Buy $50GC in-store, Get a special $10 loaded Promotional GC (note the promo card isn't good activated until 12/26 and expires 2/29/20).

I've done this a couple of times and can confirm it works without a problem -- Buy HappyTeen Card, then use it to buy B&N Cards in store. Since it's a Prepaid Card and not a Gift Card this works fine (swipe HappyTeen card, it asks for PIN, press green enter button since it doesn't have a PIN, select CREDIT, Done).

With the OfficeDepot deal that should net you $180 in cards for $130 OOP -- 28% invisible discount so it stacks with 40/50/60% off Sales, store member discounts and even coupons on items that allow.

The Promo GC are delayed activation and can't be used until after Christmas so you probably should wait for some sort of sale which isn't always predictable. The Expiration date can be a problem, BUT it's pretty easy to buy something and return it later which will be loaded onto a normal GC with no expiration date.

Darby67 and Osato like this.
  6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Has THAT always been going on?!? :eek:

What a great service! I'll have to check that out every week! :D

That guy is pretty sharp (except when he's an idiot!).

7. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Drove out to the local Barnes & Noble store last night and picked up the two latest releases, along with an October release the other B&N store I visited back on November 6th didn't have:
    • Matewan
    • All About Eve
    • Now, Voyager
    I then went online and ordered a few Arrow releases. I'm hoping they will continue these sales come next year, now that it is a subsidiary of Elliott.

Darby67 likes this.
  8. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Matt:

Thank you for the reminder. I did actually pre-order All About Eve in one of my earlier "final" orders..which turned out to be as "final" as The Who's 1982 Farewell Tour! :D

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

We won't get fooled again! :laugh:

10. Traveling Matt

I picked up a copy of All About Eve and opened it to find this. The hubs are sticky all over which makes me think they just forgot to add the plastic tray. It was awkward pulling a little adhesive off the centers of the discs.

Did anyone else's come like this?

20191129_205225.

Osato likes this.
  11. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    That’s weird...

I haven’t bought anything this sale and I don’t know if I will. I wanted to pick up a couple of things but I’ve been unpacking boxes in our garage from a remodel and reorganizing my discs and it’s been eye opening. I knew I had a lot unwatched. I just didn’t know it was this many. :eek::eek::eek:

Osato likes this.
  12. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Mine came from Target and both discs were FIRMLY attached. :( ... Another packaging fail from Criterion.

Osato likes this.
  13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Howie:

Did your All About Eve have standard plastic disc trays inside (where Matt's only has those little black, sticky hubs?).

Osato likes this.
  14. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Nope, there's a Booklet in-between sticky hubs. The disc on the left is the Movie.

Osato likes this.
  15. Traveling Matt

I heard back from Criterion on the All About Eve issue. They wrote:

They don't mention replacing any damaged discs but I imagine they would if asked. Ours were fine. It's funny they present this as their choice, rather than a manufacturing error, but a very satisfactory response.

16. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    BTW, I did go to B&N on the last day of the sale and pick up Notorious and Cluny Brown.