1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    You should be OK with the 3 Silents set. It's three individual pressboard "cases" with a perfectbound book(let). I ordered in lots of six items from the flash sale (except for Koker and I ordered that with another disc) - and it came just fine by USPS.

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer

With a title like Holiday you'd think it would be a December release, but no such luck.
    I guess I'll probably save it for the Q1 Flash Sale

Probably would have been OK if I had ordered it with my 8 item order though the packing was a bit light -- lots of free space in teh box for them to crash around.

I noticed the Koker set was a bit flimsy back in September when I was browsing so just as easy to pick it up in store since I was going for the BIG BOX anyway. Plus with my member discount and GC it'll be a bit cheaper overall that in the Flash Sale.

Darby67 likes this.
  3. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Dave,

I can't remember will we see 50% off Arrow at the same time or does that run after?

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Arrow hasn't been at B&N long enough to really know for sure since each sale so far has been a little different .

2017 it started around BF for a few days, then restarted mid Dec and ran through 1st week Jan

2018 it started pretty early in the NOV sale and ran through early Jan. I have Nov 6 in my notes which would be a Tuesday like most BN sales at least until recently, Criterion sale started 11/2 (Friday)

2019 they had the Arrow Sale directly overlapping the July sale (1st Time) and unofficially extended well beyond the end though they never added any of the Aug releases.

Darby67 likes this.
  5. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Thanks for the info.

6. David Norman

David Norman Producer

2nd report appears to have been posted (ex BN employee this time) saying the Nov 1 start date is a go.
    I think that likely confirms it is happening.

PMF and TravisR like this.
  7. mBen989

mBen989 Agent

Matthew
    I picked up a B&N gift card at the local mega mart the other day just to be on the safe side for this sale.

8. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Now about 4-5 reports of people being told Nov 1 (including me) so I think it's a go.

Boxsets:
    Godzilla
    Koker
    3 Silents

Almost certainly Matewan and most of the Nov releases as those come available. I may just place an order for ShiptoHome on Friday when I go to pickup Godzilla

9. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Website now going live

Sale scheduled November 1 to end of the day December 1, 2019

Mike Frezon likes this.
  10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    So what’s been released since the last sale?

11. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Tino likes this.
  12. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Looking to pick up the following releases in this sale:

The Philadelphia Story
    My Darling Clementine
    Now, Voyager
    All About Eve
    Do the Right Thing
    The Palm Beach Story (currently listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock" so I hope they restock it before the sale ends)

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I stopped by my local B&N today and picked up Cluny Brown and Local Hero.

I don't know ANYTHING about Local Hero...but, while in the store, perused David's list of new titles (since the last sale) and those are the two titles which spoke to me. Sounds interesting.

Darby67 likes this.
  14. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

I happened to stop by a B&N today and picked up Cluny Brown, The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice, and one released a few years back, The Black Stallion.

They didn't have 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg or Matewan, so I'll be checking another B&N that is closer to my house sometime before the sale ends. I want to support that store anyway, so I'm not sorry I have to go again.

Darby67 likes this.
  15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Don't know if this is pertinent to your store, Rodney...but my B&N keeps the bigger sets separate from their regular Criterion section. Plus, they other random Criterion titles located in other parts of the media section and sometimes even out in the book section of the store (sometimes near the entrances). But they generally keep the bigger collections on a shelf near the cash register. So, in my store, you really gotta look around.

16. Message #1036 of 1038 Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    One of the 5 Criterion films I'd intended to get wasn't available online, so I went to the closest store near me after work on Tuesday night. I hadn't been inside that particular store in a few years. Not a lot of people in the store, but still a fair number of people shopping/browsing/drinking coffee.

In the media section in the back area of the store, there were 4 people sitting in a circle and nobody actually shopping. It turned out to be a meeting of a book club. They seemed excited when I approached, probably hoping for another edition to the group. (It turned out that 3 of them were employees and the 4th had walked in, was interested, but hadn't read the book. So when I got there they were discussing postponing their meeting until this 4th person had a chance to read it.)

Still, they were happy to have a customer if not a book club participant. When I mentioned I was there due to the Criterion sale, the first thing they told me was that the Godzilla sets were kept behind the counter at the front of the store. I told them I wasn't looking for that, and they directed me to the shelves and display within that back area.

They had the film that wasn't available online as well as the other 4 Criterions in my online cart, so I decided to just get all 5 films from that store. Then, like a kid in a candy store who has no restraint, I saw 3 more that I'd seen online and thought I might get next time but now looking at them in the store decided to just treat myself and get all 8 titles right then and there. Maybe there's something about having them all in your hands and able to get them immediately that makes it even more tempting to purchase them all in the moment than when shopping online and having time to consider. Anyway it was a nice change of pace getting them from the local store. It might be a few more years before I go back, but the visit was a fun one-time alternative.

Today I went back online, removed the Criterions from my cart and purchased the 5 Arrow titles I wanted from the Arrow sale.

So I think I heard my credit card gasping a couple of times this week, but you never know if this might be the last time B&N has these Criterion and Arrow sales. So no regrets.

Rodney likes this.
  17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Ain't that the sad truth?!?

And ain't that the sad truth, too?!?

Osato and Dave Lawrence like this.
  18. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    My Criterion purchases this sale:

The Philadelphia Story
    My Darling Clementine
    Now, Voyager
    The Palm Beach Story
    Being There
    And God Created Woman

Purchases at the next Criterion flash sale:
    Betty Blue
    All About Eve
    Holiday
    All About My Mother
    Do the Right Thing
    Fail Safe
    Tunes of Glory
    Until the End of the World
    The Tin Drum

With a 2/25/20 release date for Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman I will have to wait to the next Criterion flash sale in 2020 if they do one in early March like they did in 2019 or the B&N July 2020 50% off sale (if there even isone); otherwise it is wait until Criterion's October 2020 flash sale.