1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    A Face in the Crowd for pick up at local BN for me this time. Local Hero in November.

2. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Dave,

The website says the 50% Arrow sale that is also running right now is online only, does that include in store ship to home also?

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I don't think so at least for most of the items.

I just got back from B&N and I did check a few Arrow items. There are a handful of titles in store store that are marked 50% off, but not even all of those and most of the Arrow catalog seems to be Online Only in the vast majority of stores -- some of the SuperPremium stores in NYC, LA and Power Plant (Baltimore) have a lot more titles but someone from there would have to look at those items that aren't wide store stock. It appears to be similar to the December sale in that most of the in-store/STH prices aren't 50%. I checked Andromeda Strain and a couple other titles which were full price. In store I did see Waterworld LE, Children of the Corn, and Fish Called Wanda which had the 50% sticker. I didn't go any further, but it may be one of those individual item type sales.

I also check an August and September Criterion and they were not 50% off so for now it appears just hte items releasing prior to the end of July

The better news is that the Arrow sale items are coupon eligible so I may pick up a few of those with my mailer 20% or if there is a bigger than 10% cart coupon for July 4.

I put a massive dent in my B&N Gift Card stash -- maybe the single biggest single check out for # titles at least, but I nearly cleaned my Criterion Wishlist out not counting the July releases.

4. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    FYI The SUMMER code takes 10% off the Arrow 50% (but not the Criterions of course)

PMF likes this.
  5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I ordered Swing Time and Klute. That's all for me for this sale.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I swung by my local Barnes & Noble after work and picked up Notorious, In the Heat of the Night, and Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Since they strangely had eight copies of the Blue Velvet DVD in stock but no copies of the Blu-Ray, I ordered that one through the website.

Just as a heads up, My store had three separate displays for the sale:
    b&n-criterion50-july2019.
    The regular Criterion section, a display across the back wall of the media section, and a display at the mall entrance of the store. The latter one flummoxed me, as Hedwig and the Angry Inch was listed as in stock but I couldn't find it anywhere in the media section. After about a half hour of looking spine by spine, I finally asked an employee for help and he directed me to the display by the mall entrance.

It looked like a lot of titles had been moved from the media section to that bin, so if you can't find something in the media section check the front of the store.

PMF, Osato and Mike Frezon like this.
  7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That place looks mighty familiar, Adam! ;)

But having a bin near the mall entrance is a huge departure from past sales.That looks like the bin that used to be located right near the entrance to the media section. I never would have looked there either! I'm glad to know where to head when I get to the store tomorrow or Sunday.

Like most B&N's, the media section in our local store has been becoming less and less relevant with each passing week.

By the way, to firmly figure out my wishlist...I printed up the list as posted by David Norman of the newer Criterion titles. And since there were a bunch of those films that weren't immediately familiar to me, I opened a tab on my browser to the HTF portal page and typed the words "Criterion press" into the search engine...followed by "Ronald Epstein" in the 'posted by member' field. That will give you the string of results for each of the recent Criterion releases and a synopsis of each film. Very helpful for me.

8. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

The Arrow 50% Off sale says it is online only so I don't know that even if you found Arrow Videos in store they would be 50% off. My store sold out of the few copies of "A Face In The Crowd", "The Heiress", and "Swing Time" that they had by the time I stopped by in the late afternoon. They were available for ship to home and you still got the 10% membership discount you don't get on their website.

Osato likes this.
  9. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Pretty much everyone waited on the sale for A Face in the Crowd, didn't they?

10. mBen989

mBen989 Agent

Matthew
    I bought Andrei Rublev, The Color of Pomegranates, Police Story/Police Story 2 and Vampyr and my dad bought War and Peace.

Why yes, I do plan on making a second trip and/or an online order.

11. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Since it wasn't that long a wait. When you think about it, how many discs do we watch the moment we get them? I'll probably view the extras first, and then put the film in a short queue for viewing. But any need to have a disc the day it comes out has passed for this geezer acquiring a new appreciation for patience.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  12. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    I'm more of a TV on DVD guy, but I am always a little surprised when a set I buy is watched immediately.

When I recently picked up the complete Office, I noted to myself how unusual it was to have had the set open and a disc in the player the same day.

So you're right. I just find it funny to see damn near every Criterion sale list posted here and elsewhere include A Face in the Crowd, and wonder if the beancounters at Criterion thought the disc was a failure, then in August it'll be a success.

13. DennisBassi

DennisBassi Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    I ordered the Ingmar Bergman cinema set along with Swing Time and A Face in the Crowd, delivered to store because the Bergman set was not eligible for free shipping and my local store had it in stock. When I got there, the Bergman set was cancelled and upon asking why, I was told that a serial shoplifter had hit several BN’s in my county and stole the criterion heavy hitters ($$$$). I was bummed and told them I’d have to pay shipping. The customer service rep and mgr told me they could make free shipping happen and ordered it for me with free delivery. They said that their store has been given latitude to do the website one better whenever possible. I’m surprised the BN in the previous Post is leaving a display at the mall entrance! Someone better caution them about shoplifters looking to make a $150-$300 hit depending on sale prices !

14. gruagach

gruagach Stunt Coordinator

Henry
    I ordered Swing Time and The Baker's Wife. Plus, a non-Criterion TV series I've been waiting a while on for a price drop finally dropped into my price range.

15. Message #995 of 1015 Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Round 1: Blue Velvet, Police Story1/2, Election, Barry Lyndon & the Arrow release of Waterworld(was 50% instore and the register took a 20% off mailer coupon).

16. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Too bad I didn't wait a bit on importing the (region B locked) Eureka version of Police Story 1/2 (and others) to find out Criterion would soon release them here.

I still haven't gotten around to watching them yet...

Guess I'll be less quick to jump on such imports since Criterion seems to be showing some interest and/or being able to acquire their rights...

17. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I went in and got Tootsie today. That's probably all for me this sale unfortunately, but I'm quite happy to finally have it as I haven't seen it in several years and have been anxious to revisit it for some time.

Osato likes this.
  18. Message #998 of 1015 Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    Count me among the, err, crowd who also purchased this film in the sale. Couldn't resist, despite the awful cover illustration.

I placed my order yesterday morning: 5 Criterion blus (3 Women, A Face in the Crowd, Blow-Up, Mikey & Nicky and Sweet Smell of Success) and 2 blus from the Arrow sale (Images and Sheba, Baby).

I went with free shipping since I don't need to have them instantly, but oddly enough I found a package at my door when I got home from work today. It was the Images disc. Per the B&N website, the rest of my order is due to arrive by next Tuesday. Strange that I got an item next-day without expedited shipping, but I'm not complaining.

19. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I was prepared to get Police Story 1 and 2 from BN but happened to see Amazon had an additional 20% off the title on Prime Day, to make it about 10% less than the BN sale price. So ordered that from Amazon but still ordered Klute and 1984 from BN. I'm especially glad about 1984 since I never got it when it was a Twilight Time product.

20. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Ah, you mean the one that makes it look like the name of the film is "An Ass In The Crowd"?