What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I would assume that the one next month is still going to happen. I can't imagine that they'll immediately micromanage things like a sale. After that, who knows.
Iit's my understanding that Criterion sponsors the sale similar to the way Arrow is/was sponsoring a BOGO sale at HMV in the UK.. Arrow did have a 50% sale through B&N d during the Chanukah season last year ...

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
My hope is that they make the stores more viable and have more synergy with their online store.

My fear is that they will simply gut the company and let it collapse.

The media departments there are getting sadder. I noticed DVD and Blu Rays all shuffled together.

Other than Criterion, I think that they miss the boat on going after specialty titles and consumers.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nice conversation with a clerk today and she dropped that the Criterion Sale appears to be scheduled to start Friday June 28 and run through early August -- guessing Monday 8/5 if it runs the same length as last year

Great! Thank you!!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Barnes & Noble Summer 2019 Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 28 through August 5, 2019 (Preliminary)

I'll go ahead and announce it since I think there are now 3 or 4 reports from different employees about the start date and one person who said he saw a sign with the end date. If they change it or it bites me then that's the way it goes.

Note the Friday start and Sunday end dates -- a bit unusual on both ends given the past sales though last summer, the sale ran from Friday June 29 through Monday Aug 6 so this is similar more B&N are starting to end on Sunday

As usual this will likely be in-store and online including DVD, BD, and Eclipse line
No coupons likely will be accepted though we can always hope
10% Member Discount applied for in-store and store generated Ship to Home.

It's always possible some August-September preorders might be 50% off for ship to home - not regular web orders. We'll have to check after the sale starts and early August
In some past sales I've had preorders all the way to mid October show up 50% off on the store computer, some sales virtually none show up beyond the end of the sale, one sale the items through August (or December for the Fall/Winter Sale), and then last year the September titles were 50% off but not August or October just to confuse everyone.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Barnes & Noble Summer 2019 Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 28 through August 5, 2019 (Preliminary)

I'll go ahead and announce it since I think there are now 3 or 4 reports from different employees about the start date and one person who said he saw a sign with the end date. If they change it or it bites me then that's the way it goes.

Note the Friday start and Sunday end dates -- a bit unusual on both ends given the past sales though last summer, the sale ran from Friday June 29 through Monday Aug 6 so this is similar more B&N are starting to end on Sunday

As usual this will likely be in-store and online including DVD, BD, and Eclipse line
No coupons likely will be accepted though we can always hope
10% Member Discount applied for in-store and store generated Ship to Home.

It's always possible some August-September preorders might be 50% off for ship to home - not regular web orders. We'll have to check after the sale starts and early August
In some past sales I've had preorders all the way to mid October show up 50% off on the store computer, some sales virtually none show up beyond the end of the sale, one sale the items through August (or December for the Fall/Winter Sale), and then last year the September titles were 50% off but not August or October just to confuse everyone.

Great news! Thank you!!!

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Thanks for the announcement. I was about to buy a few titles on Amazon yesterday. This will save me a few dollars. The B&N near me has a decent amount of titles typically.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll borrow this list from elsewhere

New items since last B&N sale
A Dry White Season 11-Dec-2018
Forty Guns 11-Dec-2018
Panique (Panic) 18-Dec-2018
Sawdust and Tinsel (Gycklarnas afton) 18-Dec-2018
24 Frames 8-Jan-2019
Notorious 15-Jan-2019
4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days (4 luni, 3 săptămâni și 2 zile) 22-Jan-2019
Mikey and Nicky 22-Jan-2019
All That Jazz Blu-ray 29-Jan-2019 Re-release BD only
In the Heat of the Night Blu-ray 29-Jan-2019
Shame Blu-ray 5-Feb-2019
Berlin Alexanderplatz Blu-ray 12-Feb-2019
Death in Venice Blu-ray 19-Feb-2019
La vérité Blu-ray 19-Feb-2019
To Sleep with Anger Blu-ray 26-Feb-2019

Since the last Criterion Flash Sale
The Kid Brother Blu-ray 12-Mar-2019
The Magic Flute Blu-ray 12-Mar-2019
Detour Blu-ray 19-Mar-2019
Wanda Blu-ray 19-Mar-2019
Fantastic Mr. Fox 23-Mar-2019?? Digipack - re-release
I Wanna Hold Your Hand Blu-ray 26-Mar-2019
Japón Blu-ray 26-Mar-2019
Picnic at Hanging Rock 2-Apr-2019 Re-release BD Only
Night on Earth 9-Apr-2019
Stranger Than Paradise 9-Apr-2019
Diamonds of the Night (Démanty noci) 16-Apr-2019
A Face in the Crowd 23-Apr-2019
My Brilliant Career 30-Apr-2019
Police Story / Police Story 2 30-Apr-2019
The Heiress 7-May-2019
Funny Games 14-May-2019
House of Games 14-May-2019
Let the Sunshine In (Un beau soleil intérieur) 21-May-2019
Blue Velvet 28-May-2019
One Sings, the Other Doesn't (L'une chante, l'autre pas) 28-May-2019
A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman 4-Jun-2019
Swing Time 11-Jun-2019
La vie de Jésus (The Life of Jesus) 18-Jun-2019
L'humanité (Humanité) 18-Jun-2019
Hedwig and the Angry Inch 25-Jun-2019
War and Peace (Война и мир / Voyna i mir) 25-Jun-2019

Releasing during the sale
Europa Europa 9-Jul-2019
The BRD Trilogy 9-Jul-2019
Klute 16-Jul-2019
The Baker's Wife (La femme du boulanger) 16-Jul-2019
1984 (Nineteen Eighty-Four) 23-Jul-2019
Do the Right Thing 23-Jul-2019

Scheduled after the end of the Summer Criterion Sale -- possible STH orders
An Angel at My Table 6-Aug-2019
The Inland Sea 13-Aug-2019
Magnificent Obsession 20-Aug-2019
The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice (お茶漬けの味 / Ochazuke no aji) 27-Aug-2019
The Koker Trilogy 27-Aug-2019
Insomnia 27-Aug-2019 (Re-release BD only)
Fists in the Pocket (I pugni in tasca) 3-Sep-2019
The Cloud-Capped Star (মেঘে ঢাকা তারা / Meghe Dhaka Tara) 10-Sep-2019
Polyester 17-Sep-2019
Cluny Brown 17-Sep-2019
Local Hero 24-Sep-2019
The Circus 24-Sep-2019

October items will likely be added at some point during the sale, but maybe not until August

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Insomnia? Wasn't this already released in BD by Criterion?
I believe this is a re-release ...sans the DVD ... which at last check was still available at Criterion with the DVD and Blu-Ray combo ...

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it ;)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Slight correction to above post -- it does end Sunday night apparently, but that is August 4, 2019 not the 5th though technically is may extend a small bit of time into the 5th for the online part of the sale. Normally BN operates on Eastern Time, but the end of these sales is rarely times to the second though some prices will revert a bit after Midnight Sunday/Monday but some will stay 50% for anywhere 30 minutes to a few hours.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/criterion/_/N-1p0i

Very few if any sale prices have started to show up, but the banner is now up. It often takes a while for everything to change price so patience it always needed at the front end

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Waiting for In The Heat of the Night and A Face in the Crowd to change before ordering.

They seem to have deactivated coupons for Criterions early.

Looks like they've learned from previous sales -- deactivate extra discount before the sale starts rather thn 4-24hrs later when people get mad about it. Honestly it's been quite a few sales since they had such a window for coupons.
Still not quite like the year they allowed the 50% sale and the BOGOF sale to overlap, but the early days of the Wild West were a lot more interesting

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm only a dabbler in Criterions, but B&N still got me for 5 so far...

Punch Drunk Love, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, The Magnificent Ambersons, In The Heat of The Night, and A Face in the Crowd. Waited on the sale specifically to pick that last one up. I mean, I like Andy, but not at regular prices when I know a sale is coming soon.

So, from Orson Welles to Adam Sandler. And now I want to see Adam Sandler's Citizen Kane.

Would've picked them up in-store, but they didn't have Punch Drunk Love in stock. So I can wait for shipping.

/gonna have to pick up 1984 when it comes out, too. I'm sure I can find a couple others to add to it. Ghost World, maybe? Perhaps give Hedwig a try? Election?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks