What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (2 Viewers)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This sale

After the 8 from the Criterion Flash sale there wasn't a lot left

Princess Bride
Sisters
Story of Chikamatsu
Bergman Box
Some Like I Hot
Mag Ambersons (enroute)
True Stories (enroute)
+1
(I have Sisters Region B via Arrow) when I watch it I might see if the Criterion is worth the double dip ...
True Stories came via Amazon yesterday (I also ordered SLIH through them) I will probably get PB later -I have the original blu ...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
95% sure they are fine for vinyl. Occasionally during some of the 10-15% off LP Weekends I've seen them block coupons, but most of the time and most of the sales, coupons have been allowed.

I just tried a 15% and 20% online code for an LP and it applied without a problem.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
In the FWIW category -- my Bergman Set shipped from BN this afternoon.

Niiiice! Kinda wish I had decided to go for that all along... but now, guess I'll have to wait a long while -- well, I suppose I probably won't have time to dig thru that boxset over the next few months anyway given my backlog plus all the other titles I've added (and more still to add) during this BF/CM spree. Hopefully, that set won't go OOP before the next sale... :P

Enjoy!!!

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just partied like it was 1999.

My local B&N happened to have the four Criterion titles I was looking for in-stock, so I got in the ol' car, drove down, and visited a store I hadn't been to in...probably over a decade. I came out with the four titles, plus George R.R. Martin's new "prequel" to Song of Ice and Fire (better known to the HBO viewing community as Game of Thrones). So that's why we don't have the last book (and last season of GoT). Because he's been working on this massive tome this whole time! ;)

Anyway, it felt kind of refreshing and old-school to actually go to a brick and mortar store and walk away with physical materials including, gasp, a print book. Felt like, as Indiana Jones would say, "I belong in a museum!". :rolling-smiley:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Barnes and Noble's 50% off Criterion Sale...Encore ends Sunday December 16th: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/50-off-the-criterion-collection/_/N-2rz2
upload_2018-12-13_22-3-38.png

I'm sure it's subject to change buy tje current date is through 12/16

Reactions: PMF

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still a bit confused, but maybe I understand where I think you are going

"Ends Sunday 12/16" and going "through Sunday 12/16" means the same thing to my reading though I guess some interpret that differently. I guess the first means it could end anytime on Sunday from 12:00:01amET to 11:59:59pm PT.
Even through the end of Sunday is a bit hard since BN doesn't seem to consistently use ET or PT for end times and sometimes it'll slide out to Hawaii

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Didn't take any chances and ordered the one Criterion title tonight I decided I couldn't pass up at that price: The Princess Bride. I wanted to get it earlier this year during the last 50% off sale, but my local B&N didn't have any in stock. I wasn't even aware of this recent sale until I read this forum. Thanks to everyone for informing me about this so I could finally get this classic for my collection! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up a Criterion title from Amazon because I didn’t want to wait for the sale in case I forgot about it. I picked up Night Train to Munich on Blu Ray, the Criterion site lists it as $39.95 but has it slashed to $31.96 and Amazon has it for $25.41. Not exactly 50% off but close enough.

Interestingly Barnes and Noble lists this title at $27.54 from a third party seller and Best Buy lists it at $27.99, plus $4 shipping.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I bought War and Peace from Best Buy for $26 after my discounts and free shipping. Was going to wait for the 50% off sales but this is one film I like to see right away.

Reactions: PMF

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Used be the Tuesday after July 4th they'd start the summer sale, but that's gotten a little less predictable

2014 they started July 1, last year they started 6/28.

2 months a year with the 50% sales.
2 Criterion.com Flash Sales/year

It used to be the BN 40% off Bluray sales were helpful, but lately they tend to exclude Criterions from the Fathers Day week sale, but not from the Christmas 40% (and they allow coupons in the 40% sale often making it the same or cheaper than the 50%)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I wish B&N had these sales more often than twice a year! :D

Becoming a charter subscriber of the new Criterion Channel as made me feel much better about the wait, haha... even though I haven't actually spent much time using the channel so far... :P

Truth is now I don't need to blind-buy most of their titles of interest, which makes a big diff... although I'm still looking forward to getting the big Ingmar Bergman set that I missed out on last time... but maybe I can even wait til the Nov sale at this point...

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks