1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. PODER

PODER Supporting Actor

PETER JABLONSKI
    Hey David ... many thanks for the info on the 40% off sale. So much for those 20% off coupons, at least
    as far as Criterion Goes.

Osato likes this.
  2. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Well there still is hope that they;ll allow some coupons during the actual Criterion Sale. The current group expire at the end of the week, but usually another set should show up in a couple weeks.

There were at least signs in store today though they were HomeMade version and not the usually professional signs.
    Looks like someone hit their computer and there were about 20 signs all over one of the stores today, then printed them on standard
    white printer paper and ran off a bunch of copies. Taped them on all the doors, Customer Service, the Media department, the cafe.

40% All Blu-ray and DVD through July 17th
    Excludes Disney, Marvel, and the Criterion Collection.

Normally it goes through Monday, but maybe a misprint or they decided to end it after Fathers Day.
    Regular coupons were working. 40% discount was applying to Ship to Home orders so I ended up with a bunch of Warner Archive
    items released since Christmas many/most which likely won't be part of a 4/44 sale until November. Nice to be able to get them for under $12 now instead of waiting. Just have to wait for them to ship

Osato likes this.
  3. SeanSKA

SeanSKA Agent

Sean
    I don't recall them excluding Criterion from the previous 40% off sales. In fact, I had used coupons during the 40% off on Criterions, which are now usually forbidden during the 50% off Criterion sales

Osato likes this.
  4. Message #824 of 829 Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

It's been hit of miss though I'd have to go back to the old threads to be sure -- maybe 2016 they did. I think both 2017 sales allowed them. Certainly could be faulty memory again since a lot of the sales become a blur after a few years.

If not coupons this year, maybe they'll have another double discount weekend since those seem to be a lot more frequent the last couple years instead of the once per year in September when no sales are happening.
    Best one of those I think was last Dec when the British TV 50% sale became a 60% sale and a Double Member weekend. Some of the deals got absurd enough I didn't mind returning and rebuying a few expensive items.

Osato likes this.
  5. SeanSKA

SeanSKA Agent

Sean
    It is very hit or miss how you can use the coupons and on what- it can vary from store to store it seems, or even cashier to cashier....Last year was the first time I noticed that the coupons I receive by e-mail specifically excluded Criterions during the semi-annual 50% sale.

Osato likes this.
  6. Message #826 of 829 Jun 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

The 1st time instore coupons were ever blocked at the source for the entire sale was Nov 2016, though July 2016 was odd (1st part of the sale everything worked, then by the end of the sale only certain coupons worked). There were always stores and managers that made up their own rules. You are definitely right on the Same store/Different clerks and Different store rules. Luckily most of mine were always pretty easy about the coupons as long as they scanned OK -- they wouldn't allow anything extra, but they would along what the system said was OK even if it differed from super-strict reading of the coupon fine print.

Online there was always a sale to sale and even day to day variation. Early sales online was blocked though sometimes the first 6-24 hr or 1st week would work, then for a couple of years everything worked online. July 2016 was the changeover when they put out a pile of Whole Cart codes from 10-25% that worked initially then got shut down. I don't think online any have worked for Criterions since then.

Actually some stores will still allow some of the Snail Mail member coupons to go through and a few older clerks who remember the way it used to work are even a bit more aggressive, but those stores are rarities. I think it's one of the things everyone warned against when people complained to corporate about Uneven use of coupons -- "It's not fair, every store/manager/clerk should be using the same rules ." The chance of a YMMV getting everybody blocked was always a lot more likely than the other direction.

Oh well - it was great for 7 years and it's still not bad. Criterions for $18 (net less using GC discounts and reward CC) is still pretty good even if it's not as good as it was.

7. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Did a ship to home today for the 4k Gladiator, Braveheart & Saving Private Ryan. After 40% off, member 10% off & 3 20% off coupons they were $15.98 each before tax.

PMF, Osato and SAhmed like this.
  8. Osato

Osato Producer

Those are UHd priced that I would buy at. Pricing has been the reason I have only picked up a few UHd titles thus far.

9. David Norman

David Norman Producer

2nd report on possible 50% sale since I think the 40% Instore sale MAY be over (all the stores that has signs and a couple of clerks were telling customers it ended last night).

A BN Phone Rep over the weekend said the Criterion Sale would be starting July 5th. Almost always BN sales start on Tuesday so the 3rd makes a little more sense though the Nov Sale started on Wed, but it's possible they may not want to start a sale the day before a Holiday. For right now I'd say be flexible and heads up for further updates if you were planning a trip on Day 1

B-ROLL likes this.