1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    Found my B&N media department unattended today, too, so I'm sad to surmise that it must be a chain-wide reduction in employees. They'd taken down the security equipment in this store, though, so no alarms were set off carrying your goods to the front cash registers. And paying up there, man, it just lacked a certain something. :)

Fortunately, the Criterion Collection sections are as robust as ever. And I'm glad they keep the rest going, even though nowadays they carry almost nothing else in Blu-rays (or DVDs) that interest me, so I barely gave the rest of it a glance.

I'm sad to see the CDs down to practically nothing, but I had to almost laugh out loud when I saw that the vinyl had more than overtaken the CDs' former spaces. Who would ever have thought that could ever happen, from the mid-1980s through the 1990s and the aughts. Seriously. Talk about a turnaround. Too bad they still insist on selling these horrible Crosley "record players", the worst possible things you could ever place a record on. But don't get me started on that...

skylark68 likes this.
  2. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    David,

Is the member coupon usable by existing members? I've been a member for a few years.

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Indeed it is. They even removed the old language "For those members who started bw xx and YY" that never really made much difference anyway.

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

The LP have taken over a decent amt of CD space and a chunk of what used to be Movies though didn't reduced the Criterions. One of my stores still has full time Media person, one has totally removed it except at Christmas though left he alams, and the store 3 and 4 it's intermittently manned mostly on weekends and night.

I did see a couple surprising Crosley entries online that looked suspiciously like real TT and after reading a bit more, Crosley is actually contracting with Pro-ject to build a couple table and badge them as Crosley with very good reviews at least on their Apex model.
    Unfortunately it appears that BN removed teh AT 120 which was a model I've almost bought 2 or 3 times and kept talking myself out of it and convincing myself I'd rather have a Rega or a ProJect Carbon (so I end up with none of the above)

5. Message #785 of 1056 Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Purchased on Tuesday. Delivered to my door on Saturday (today). :thumbsup:

Watching now! :D

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  6. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    FYI
    Earn a $10 Barnes & Noble Reward Card with Every $50 You Spend
    Only at BN.com: Earn a $10.00 Barnes & Noble Reward Card with every $50.00 you spend in a Single Transaction only at BN.com from July 17, 2017 at 12:01AM EST to July 22, 2017 at 2:59AM EST.

This offer entitles you to get a $10.00 Reward Card for every $50.00 you spend in a Single Transaction only at BN.com. The value of your purchase must total at least $50.00 to qualify for the $10.00 Barnes & Noble Reward Card. Sales tax, gift wrap, processing charges, or any additional charges will not count towards the qualifying $50.00 purchase amount. On July 26, 2017 you will receive an email that your order qualifies for this offer.

The Reward Card will be delivered via email to you on August 9, 2017 to the email address associated with your purchase on www.BN.com. The Reward Card is redeemable at www.BN.com beginning on August 9, 2017 at 9:00AM EST and expiring on August 19, 2017 at 2:59AM EST, and at Barnes & Noble retail bookstores beginning August 9, 2017 and expiring August 18, 2017, at close of business.

Additional Rules Governing this Offer: This offer is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and eGift Cards); (ii) not valid on past or pre-ordered purchases; (iii) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.com website (e.g.,marketplace items, etc.); and (iv) may not be combined with any other offer. Returns or cancellations may result in forfeiture of the $10.00 Reward Card. This offer is subject to change or discontinuation without notice; we will, however, honor properly placed orders with valid methods of payment with sufficient funds placed prior to such change or discontinuation. Barnes & Noble is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors. This offer is not valid for purchases made at Barnes & Noble retail bookstores or at Barnes & Noble College bookstores or websites. Void where prohibited by law.
    ----
    Three sale priced (19.99 X 3)or (19.99 X2 + +$14.99) Criterions would qualify for this offer ... though the card has a short redemption time.

7. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Lost in America, Stalker and L'argent at BN this week

For those with a BN store or a store that will take phone generated orders -- all the Criterion Pre-orders out until the end of September at least are 19.99 in the POS computer IF ORDERED as a ship-to-home order from a store computer. For those that aren't interested in waiting for the Nov Sale or Criterion Flash sale. For members your 10% will still apply, if you have some of the 10%+ off GC then $15-16 preorders are pretty hard to beat.

TravisR likes this.
  8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I've never seen Lost in America...but have always heard good things about it. And, Albert Brooks has always made me laugh a lot (when he appeared as a guest with Johnny Carson, etc.).

Anyone got anything they can tell me about the film which might help me make up my mind?

9. David Norman

David Norman Producer

If you like Brooks then this may be his best work (Defending Your Life may be a dead heat). I do realize that some don't like his style at all, but such is comedy.

10. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer

I love this movie. :)

11. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    The film is hilarious. It is, I think, his finest work but I find him pretty funny so I like several of his other films as well. This one though is a true comedy classic.

12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

B&N Website now lists the Criterion sale through 8/14 so they have confirmed the rumor of extension that was 1st mentioned earlier today.

TravisR likes this.
  13. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Breaking Point!

TravisR likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This morning I ordered, Ghost World, Straw Dogs and The Breaking Point.

15. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Appears no change in coupon usage overnight.

Breaking Point was finally changed to 50% off online sometime yesterday so that appears to be the only change. The OOS list has grown quite a lot since early last week when it had gotten down to around 30 Blurays (out of approx 470). After the weekend order/restocking it's close to 150 last night. That should recover by Thursday or Friday is usual pattern follow so if something is OOS now and you don't have a store nearby to pick it up, keep checking and a decent chance it will return to stock at least briefly.

Last July the OOS title peaked at over 80% of the available titles near the end of the sale due to the massive orders placed early in the sale when the whole cart 20/25% were allowed. It took until nearly the October Criterion.com Flash Sale to restock a lot of them, then the Oct Sale and Nov/Dec BN sales depleted them again. It was mid spring when I actually noticed that that the entire catalog was in stock simultaneously. At the beginning of this sale only 1 title was OOS on Day 1 and even it's been instock a couple times over the last month.

16. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    The B&N near me has largely turned into a toy store with books (they used to be a bookstore with toys). They recently gutted their DVD/Blu-Ray section to almost nothing. Way to totally alienate a card-holding member.

17. Message #797 of 1056 Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

A couple options. If you have a list of items, just have them bring it into the store for pickup. Not much good for browsing, but does allow you to use a member discount and store coupons for those eligible items.

Have the store do a ship to home order -- again Member discounts and coupons and you don't even have to go back to pick them up and
    allows some interesting discounts like with the current Aug/Sept Criterions despite the fact they aren't part of the normal online sale. Some stores will even let you call in the order and pay over the phone (my stores won't allow Gift Cards though, just CC)

Not as much fun as browsing, but it allows those non-media stores to function in somewhat the same way. As I understand some of the rumors, more stores will be eliminating their media over time and many of the others will be downsizing. Sad but inevitable probably

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Since the B&N sale ends today, this is kind of a silly question but any guess as to when the next Criterion site sale is?

19. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Criterion.com Flash sale? Probably mid Oct if the last few years hold. The keep sliding it later in the month -- last year to capture the GDT Trilogy set. Last year it was so close to the BN sale that it just made little sense for me to purchase anything with my membership and other BN discounts available.

With BN sale likely starting as early as Halloween, I guess around 10/10 makes the most sense to catch both the Horror genre titles and Othello though 10/16 or 17 might make a little sense with likely 2 popular titles.

9/8/2011
    9/24/2012
    10/1/2013
    10/9/2014
    10/6/2015
    10/17/2016

Vampyr 10/3
    Othello, The Lure, Mad Mad Mad World Release 10/10
    Barry Lyndon and Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me 10/17
    Personal Shoppe 10/24

TravisR and B-ROLL like this.
  20. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Bumping the thread a little early

Best information I have on the Criterion sale appears that it will start Wednesday Nov 1 and run through the end of the day November 30. A bit of a change compared to past sales that usually started on Tues and run through Cybermonday.

Each sale tends to have something unique in the rules, but general rules

1) 50% off is taken off MSRP and not normal prices.
    2) Online and in-store Items
    3) Current Release and items officially releasing during a sale so Dec and Jan releases will not be officially half off (possible workaround below). BN usually doesn't allow backorders on items that are OOS at the fulfillment warehouse.
    4) Member 10% discounts for instore purchases are taken off the sale price. Online member discount do not apply
    5) DVD, Bluray, Eclipse, Essential sets have all been eligible in the past.

YMMV
    1) Extra coupons (Member coupons, non-member coupons, instore/online, Anniversary Coupons, New Member Welcome Coupons etc) have been allowed some sales, but not others. The last 2 sales most coupons have been mostly disabled both online and store where in prior sales most stores allowed extra to apply (some stores/managers did make their own rules and rejected coupons even if the POS computer said they allowed). It doesn't matter whether the coupon specifically excludes them in the fine print or not -- www.bn.com/couponexclusions This webpage updates on the fly and the coupons seem to be linked to this page, but all excluded items or groups aren't always explicit listed.
    2) The July sale allowed 50% off pre-order items plus member discounts on Criterions ordered in store as "Ship-to-Home" orders. I got most of the Sept and Oct discs ordered before the end of the Summer sale. We'll have to see if that applies for this sale.

Extra Promotions.
    1) Discounted Gift Cards are often available at the reseller websites, some stores sell discounted GC in November (Family Dollar had BN GC 20% off for a couple weeks Nov 2015, last year it was 15%). Ebay GC sellers often have 10% off cards -- these are GC retailers and not resellers so these are virgin fully loaded BN cards with the PIN covered just like you'd buy in store.

BN has their own promotional GC.
    The usual Buy $75, Get a $10 Promotional GC runs Oct 24 through Nov 29. The Promo GC activated 12/26 and has no expiration date.
    Online in the past it's been one promo per account, in-store it's $10 Promo for every $75. Approx 12% net savings

Black Friday (BF through Sunday) the last 2-3 years BN has had $10PRomo cards for $50 GC Purchase. This Promo Card activates 12/26 and expired 3/31. Again once online, but multiples for instore purchase. Approx 17% saving.

Samsung Pay has had occasional GC sales for 20% off BN GC purchases.

2) BN Credit Card owners get 5% back on BN purchases.