What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (2 Viewers)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Stopped by a store today and picked up Palm Beach Story and inspired by Crawdaddy's "Recovery from Surgery" Blu-ray Viewed Thread, Ride the Pink Horse.

smurr051958

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott murr
Had to go for 1 last haul:

Naked Lunch

Bicycle Thieves (DVD)

Black Orpheus

Rashomon

Cries and Whispers

Virgin Spring (DVD)

Walkabout

400 Blows

Vivre Sa Vie

Double Life of Veronique

8 1/2

The Last Emperor

12 Angry Men

CHE

Y Tu Mama Tambien

Armacord

10% off

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David Norman said:
Still nothing about the next set of discounts coupons, but I'm still hoping we'll see at least another set before the sale ends.
Usually they come in on Thursday so fingers crossed for 16th or 23rd

Looking forward to hearing if there will be any other coupons before the end of the sale, David. And thanks for all your contributions to the forum (especially threads like these!).

I haven't gotten to my local store yet and only have one disc or two I'd be looking to get so an extra discount on top of the sale would be terrific.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Which would be beyond wonderful. I'm still not seeing any extra coupons for this week (won't know 100% until about 3am), but I have pretty good information about a set of coupons to be released 7/30.

EDIT: I just got off the phone and the clerk didn't even know about, but confirmed with her manager that they just got the news
of the extension

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
David Norman said:
Which would be beyond wonderful. I'm still not seeing any extra coupons for this week (won't know 100% until about 3am), but I have pretty good information about a set of coupons to be released 7/30.

EDIT: I just got off the phone and the clerk didn't even know about, but confirmed with her manager that they just got the news
of the extension

David, are you speaking of Criterion or B&N coupons? Where would one find them?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Traveling Matt said:
David, are you speaking of Criterion or B&N coupons? Where would one find them?
Standard B&N discount coupons with the usual exclusions (Nook, Gift Cards, Digital Download, Marketplace sellers, Rosetta, Apple, sometimes Legos, etc). They send out a batch every couple weeks to members and non-members that have signed up with their "Be In The Know" program (usually at the bottom of BN webpages, This gets you B&N ads/info in emails every 2-3 days, but every couple weeks or so they'll send a discount coupon for instore and/or online use. Most of these tend to be 15% Unique ID coupons which are single item, single use coupons though members can get a 20% coupons in emails (though some get them
and others can't seem to get their member emails in the B&N ad system). Since each coupons has it's own unique code each functions independently in store and most clerks will allow you to use a coupon per item though depending on your store they frequently often make you split them into different transactions.

November and December sometimes the discount coupons can be as high as 25/30% and at most stores these stack with sales and your member instore 10% discount -- there are some stores that take it upon themselves to restrict the B&N coupons on sale merchandise.

The coupons generally go out on Thursday and are good a through Sunday (or Holiday Mondays)

You can really sign up multiple emails addresses so a lot of folks who shop at B&N regularly have signed up (and up and up). There are frequently extra coupons floating around when they;re available. I get quite a few extras which I'm happy to pass along to forum members who can use them.

Those who sign up for the Membership ($25 yearly, but B&N offers a Free 60 day trial to new members) also get some special member coupons, some people get set of USPS coupon every 2-3 months that usually has 2 20% discount cards, in addition to the 10% discount on most instore purchases or Free shipping in the US on any size purchase (at least lower 48). The 60 days trial has to be setup online and is not available in store -- it requires a online purchase to see the offer, but most people just do a $10 e-Gift Certificate unless you already had something in mind to order.. Trial members get full benefits and no matter how much you use it you can cancel on day 59 at no charge though obviously I'd suggest paying the company if you're going to use it enough.
B&N has some really good book and movie sales through the year though random daily prices aren't so good -- though closer to other retailers with just a little effort. Overall I enjoy B&N stores, they seem to treat their employees pretty well, overall I run into clerks who like Books and Movies and they aren't all Minimum wage HS kids just there for a paycheck.
I'm so anti-Amazon right now I'll support any B&M just to keep Amazon trying. It's just sad to see how few good B&M there still are -- I like picking up books, I like pages/paper, I like the smell, possibly I'm just old.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hmm. I bought my last two items and they were going to be the last unless coupons came out during the sale. Now, do I return and repurchase or just buy more? :)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Both.

No coupons this week. I think 90%+ chance for next Thursday since I've seen the preliminary templates already.
The sale extension makes a huge difference in how to progress.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I went to one of my local stores today and splurged. Had about $250 worth of BDs so I got the membership and the 10% off additional paid for itself (and I believe tax was based on the post-discount prices).

I've read the terms for the BN membership and they clearly state that you cannot cancel and get the $25 refunded if you used any benefits. If you have corroboration of the "refund within 59 day trial no matter if you've used it," I'd like to see it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ChromeJob said:
I went to one of my local stores today and splurged. Had about $250 worth of BDs so I got the membership and the 10% off additional paid for itself (and I believe tax was based on the post-discount prices).

I've read the terms for the BN membership and they clearly state that you cannot cancel and get the $25 refunded if you used any benefits. If you have corroboration of the "refund within 59 day trial no matter if you've used it," I'd like to see it.
Sorry for the bit of confusion -- the post got a little more involved than it started so I amended it a bit. The Free 60 day trial is only available online so there really isn't a refund -- you just cancel before Day 60 and it's free.
In store you can't do the trial and can only set-up a full paid membership -- refundable price only if no used.

I easily more than make up my membership just on the Criterion sales and generally figure with the extra coupons, higher discounts, and free shipping options I probably get at minimum 10:1 advantage out of it which is far more than i can say for Amazon Prime the last couple years at least especially now my kids are out of college and don't need to piggyback.

Sales Tax is calculated after the discounts.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
David Norman said:
Sorry for the bit of confusion -- the post got a little more involved than it started so I amended it a bit. The Free 60 day trial is only available online so there really isn't a refund -- you just cancel before Day 60 and it's free.
In store you can't do the trial and can only set-up a full paid membership -- refundable price only if no used.

No, I was reviewing terms online. I think we need to link to the terms you're referring to, don't you? ;)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When you checkout with an item in your cart you'll see a box on the the right side of the screen asking if you
want Free Express Shipping with an offer to start a Free Trial membership. This should be for someone who has never
been a member before and I think is linked at least to email address and Credit Card. I don't think I can link to the
popup page offer, but the T&C should be here

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/membership/terms-conditions.jsp?termsPage=free

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
David Norman said:
... The 60 days trial has to be setup online and is not available in store -- it requires a online purchase to see the offer, --
Sorry, I overlooked that. :(
David Norman said:
... but most people just do a $10 e-Gift Certificate unless you already had something in mind to order.. Trial members get full benefits and no matter how much you use it you can cancel on day 59 at no charge though obviously ....
David Norman said:
When you checkout with an item in your cart you'll see a box on the the right side of the screen asking if you
want Free Express Shipping with an offer to start a Free Trial membership. This should be for someone who has never
been a member before and I think is linked at least to email address and Credit Card. I don't think I can link to the
popup page offer, but the T&C should be here

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/membership/terms-conditions.jsp?termsPage=free
Ah, thanks. Aaaaaaannnnd.... When you read the fine print it appears that you can use the free two-month trial for free express shipping. But NOT to get an additional 10% discount on purchases:

The Everyday Member Discount is only valid on eligible purchases at any Barnes & Noble Store. The Everyday Member Discount is not available on purchases of the following: products or services at BN.com...
Not arguing, just pointing it out. So as you mentioned, get a $10 gift card or a single title you want, then you'll get the free express shipping (which is good, no debating that) then go into a store, you'll get $40 Criterion BDs for $18, $70 BDs for $31something,... and I got the Zatoichi set for $101 and change. (But as I might've pointed out, the "discount" really was spent on the $25 membership, which I will probably use in November.)

But I didn't notice anything there about cancellation restrictions, so you COULD order one BD like this online, then go to a store with your two-month free trial membership and get the Everyday Member Discount on top of the sale for a huge haul of BDs. If that's what you were proposing, spot on mate, a good tactic. Sorry I didn't know about it, I could've saved $25. Darn.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Hollywoodaholic said:
This sale has been extended to August 3 according to the clerk in the store I was just at.
Signage in my local store that I bought at confirmed this. Thought it was August 4th, but my memory's a sieve.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ChromeJob said:
Not arguing, just pointing it out. So as you mentioned, get a $10 gift card or a single title you want, then you'll get the free express shipping (which is good, no debating that) then go into a store, you'll get $40 Criterion BDs for $18, $70 BDs for $31something,... and I got the Zatoichi set for $101 and change. (But as I might've pointed out, the "discount" really was spent on the $25 membership, which I will probably use in November.)

But I didn't notice anything there about cancellation restrictions, so you COULD order one BD like this online, then go to a store with your two-month free trial membership and get the Everyday Member Discount on top of the sale for a huge haul of BDs. If that's what you were proposing, spot on mate, a good tactic. Sorry I didn't know about it, I could've saved $25. Darn.

I think we're on the same page now. The member discount in 10% only for instore purchase which is really the only way to make the membership really valuable or Free upgraded' shipping online. You also get access to some extra member only discount coupons so you can make back your $25 membership more quickly than just by buying $250 instore merchandise

Since most people who are signing up for the Membership are expecting to buy something, using the e-GC as your order is just the easiest. Print the GC, take to it the store, and use it to purchase your items with the 10% discount Basically to signup becomes net zero $. While you could signup for the trial, buy $1000 of discs with the 10% (and extras discounts) and then cancel your membership on Day 59 and pay B&N nothing -- obviously while perfectly within your rights to do so, I think that's sketchy to be nice about it.

The only slight downside to sign up online is it takes a couple days to be active in the B&N database though I think you can call into CSR/IT and get it activated immediately.

If you bought Zatoichi -- I'd suggest checking for the email coupons next Thursday. If you get a 20% coupon (or if you can grab a 15% from me), then I'd suggest heading back to the store with your receipt and see if they'll do a direct price "missed Coupon" adjustement. For those big boxsets the coupons can add up in a hurry. That would be a $15-20 adjustment by itself. In theory if you bought 10 items and had 10 different % off coupons they might allow you to apply one coupon on each item, but that's pushing it. I guess you could ask -- worst thing they could do is say no.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
2 codes for members & nonmembers: online only, % off single item codes good through August 31. Should be single use per account though some people are saying it's working more than once per account, no preorder, typical ineligible item list

15% Off N9K4N9L
20% Off T9V7C3R

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks