Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Malcolm R said:
Sounds like B&N is moving closer to Best Buy in that from store to store you never know how they'll interpret company policies regarding sales and/or coupons. I went through several of those fiascos at BB, so I've mostly stopped shopping there. Amazon gets most of my business now.
I've found B&N has always been far more unpredictable than BBY in following what I read as policy. Of course
I actually have pretty easy BBY and B&N overall compared to stories I read from other companies.

I've never know a BBY that refused to accept their own coupons like apparently some B&N stores do --
even if a simple 15% off coupon scans on a half price Criterion there are many stores that just won't allow it at all.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I hadn't purchased anything from the B&N site in awhile. Usually even with an emailed coupon, I can find what I want at a cheaper price on Amazon. But with this sale plus a coupon, I was quite happy to place an order.

Criterion Collection: John Cassavetes - Five Films (Blu) - used my coupon with this item
Love Streams (Blu)
12 Angry Men (Blu)

With the 1st 2 items above, I'm glad to finally get the Cassavetes films on Blu. (Too bad Husbands isn't also on Blu - preferably by Criterion).

David Norman

Producer
Premium
There are about 3 months out of the years that BN is a blast to shop at.

Obviously the 2 Criterion sales are just about unbeatable especially if you have a nearby (near enough) store.
December can be great also between the British TV 50% and the pre Xmas 40% sale usually with some big coupon discounts.
The May or June 40% sale can be pretty good depending of what you're looking for - not the mass market movies but certainly
things from Cohen, Flicker Alley, and those studios that rarely discount anything.

Amazon, BBY, and the other sites are perfectly fine for routine items though I literally have bought exactly $0
in movies from Amazon since Christmas due to there miserable lack of deals, like 85% of the country I pay sales tax
up front now, and the sheer fact that they almost never do anything other than half heartedly price match the Big 3
stores now. BBY rewards points, Target's Cartwheel and Redcard, Deep Discount often have sales which just
put Amazon low man.

That's not even counting the morally questionable "we're only going to sell this item to you
if you buy Prime." I've had Prime since day 1 and that still irks me. I guess we'll see what this whole
Prime Day turns out to be, but I'm betting far more hype than waht other stores do on Black Friday since Amazon basically skipped BF last year.
I don;t remember a single deal that Amazon (US) had that wasn;t a straight price match of someone else and even those
were uncommon.

David Norman

Producer
Premium
It been a little frustrating getting a feel for the new BN website. There are a couple nice features to it, but it's about 5:1 negative assuming it's even working. of course the biggest $$ hit is the massive jump in International Shipping since apparently BN re-classified BD as Books instead of CD/DVD like the should have -- apparently shipping cost overseas in 3-5 times what it was last month. There is a little hope that BN will see the error and fix that -- it makes absolutely no sense that shipping a BD should be any more, much less massively more than a DVD.

The other thing seems to be the way the website handles %off coupons. Since each has it's own ID number, in the past they were treated as separate coupons. You could only use one per order, but it was easy enough to make multiple order to
max your saving if you had a few of the coupons. Now the whole batch is treated as a single coupons despite the individual numbering of the codes. In-store it works like it always has.

Several people have reported a little bit of a workaround by using eh free B&N Mobile App (not just the mobile website, but the specific app you can get from the Itunes store on their Iphone/Ipad. I haven't found an Android equivalent to that App.

Scott, did you have at least a 15% coupon for that Zatoichi box? If not I could send you some if you are close enough to make it worth your while to make an extra trip and ask to apply it after the fact. Most of time they will do it at CS or the Media section.. The coupons expire tomorrow if you are interested (and of course your store allows coupons during the Criterion sale)

Richard Gallagher

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I ordered Ride the Pink Horse, The Thin Blue Line, and Odd Man Out. My B&N membership had expired so I got free express shipping by signing up for a free 2-month trial membership.

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Richard Gallagher said:
I ordered Ride the Pink Horse, The Thin Blue Line, and Odd Man Out. My B&N membership had expired so I got free express shipping by signing up for a free 2-month trial membership.
Those 3 are on my short(er than normal) to get list tomorrow. What did you have to change to get the Free Trial -- I'm guessing minimum email address and CC, but were you
able to use the same Billing/Shipping address? Those requirement seem to change every so often.

Richard Gallagher

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
David Norman said:
Those 3 are on my short(er than normal) to get list tomorrow. What did you have to change to get the Free Trial -- I'm guessing minimum email address and CC, but were you
able to use the same Billing/Shipping address? Those requirement seem to change every so often.
I used my regular e-mail and billing addresses. It's been a couple of years since I was last a B&N member, so I guess that's why I didn't have a problem.

I know that Fox Connect goes by e-mail addresses only. I have four e-mail addresses, and when Fox has done flash sales I've been able to make multiple purchases to the same shipping and billing address by using different e-mail addresses.

smurr051958

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott murr
David Norman said:
It been a little frustrating getting a feel for the new BN website. There are a couple nice features to it, but it's about 5:1 negative assuming it's even working. of course the biggest $$ hit is the massive jump in International Shipping since apparently BN re-classified BD as Books instead of CD/DVD like the should have -- apparently shipping cost overseas in 3-5 times what it was last month. There is a little hope that BN will see the error and fix that -- it makes absolutely no sense that shipping a BD should be any more, much less massively more than a DVD.

The other thing seems to be the way the website handles %off coupons. Since each has it's own ID number, in the past they were treated as separate coupons. You could only use one per order, but it was easy enough to make multiple order to
max your saving if you had a few of the coupons. Now the whole batch is treated as a single coupons despite the individual numbering of the codes. In-store it works like it always has.

Several people have reported a little bit of a workaround by using eh free B&N Mobile App (not just the mobile website, but the specific app you can get from the Itunes store on their Iphone/Ipad. I haven't found an Android equivalent to that App.

Scott, did you have at least a 15% coupon for that Zatoichi box? If not I could send you some if you are close enough to make it worth your while to make an extra trip and ask to apply it after the fact. Most of time they will do it at CS or the Media section.. The coupons expire tomorrow if you are interested (and of course your store allows coupons during the Criterion sale)
I used my 10% off with the 2 month "Free Trial" I had. All my purchases but 1 were in store with the 10%off. The 15% off coupon I used for ordering the "Trilogy of Life set" online-

David Norman

Producer
Premium
smurr051958 said:
I used my 10% off with the 2 month "Free Trial" I had. All my purchases but 1 were in store with the 10%off. The 15% off coupon I used for ordering the "Trilogy of Life set" online-
I do have some extra 15% if you would like to use them - one or more. Just let me know.

They're going to expire in less than 24 hrs so someone might as well use them for something good.

smurr051958

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott murr
David Norman said:
I do have some extra 15% if you would like to use them - one or more. Just let me know.

They're going to expire in less than 24 hrs so someone might as well use them for something good.
Many thanks for the offer. However I really have spent myself out this week and If I buy anymore right now...I think my wife is going to divorce me!!! LOL...I think I'm going to wait now for the November sale but really appreciate the offer! Regards-

Adam_S

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Adam_S said:
Picked up Valerie and her week of wonders, odd man out, and the river today.
Got these three and almost all the features watched, so time for round two today,
here is your life
The killers
Limelight

David Norman

Producer
Premium
At least one online code good for a 48 hrs or so thanks to LaserMovies

Save $10 on a $75 or more order online with coupon BNSUN75
Expires 7/17 at 2:59am ET

Still nothing about the next set of discounts coupons, but I'm still hoping we'll see at least another set before the sale ends.
Usually they come in on Thursday so fingers crossed for 16th or 23rd

Jari K

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
International shipping seems to have increased. If you buy, let's say 7 BDs from the sale, the shipping to Europe is around 46$. Oh well...

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Much discussion about this problem. Many international posters are having ongoing conversations about this issue with B&N.

Apparently during the website upgrade Blurays got re-classifed as Books instead of DVD so the shipping it triple/quadruple what it
was a few weeks ago. Some posters after long and tortuous conversations have seemed to convince B&N Customer Service that

something is wrong. There are the usual 'We'll look into it," "we're working on correcting the issue" and various "Go ahead and place

the order and we'll refund the excess shipping later" promised along with "This is correct shipping" and "we haven't increased out rates at all"

protests.

If you are interested I would open a conversation with the CS Reps and see what the current response might be and be sure to escalate

to a senior Manager since I'm sure the first line telephone/chat people probably have little knowledge or input on this problem.

Other news, no new discount coupons came out this week. I;ll set my eyes on next Thursday.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Picked up Blow Out and Wings of Desire. That's 5 titles this time around, the highest number for me so far (unless you count the Jacques Tati box as individual titles).

David Norman

Producer
Premium
David Norman said:
Much discussion about this problem. Many international posters are having ongoing conversations about this issue with B&N.

Apparently during the website upgrade Blurays got re-classifed as Books instead of DVD so the shipping it triple/quadruple what it
was a few weeks ago. Some posters after long and tortuous conversations have seemed to convince B&N Customer Service that

something is wrong. There are the usual 'We'll look into it," "we're working on correcting the issue" and various "Go ahead and place

the order and we'll refund the excess shipping later" promised along with "This is correct shipping" and "we haven't increased out rates at all"

protests.

If you are interested I would open a conversation with the CS Reps and see what the current response might be and be sure to escalate

to a senior Manager since I'm sure the first line telephone/chat people probably have little knowledge or input on this problem.
I read reports of 2-3 posters now that how had their shipping charging refunded retroactively after complaining. Several posters have

mentioned calling/chatting and getting reps that are acknowledging a site issue with the shipping. They've either put is orders manually

for the customers with shipping comparable to the past sales, or told the customer to go ahead and make the order, but put a note on the account

to refund the excess charges

Reactions: ChromeJob

David Norman

Producer
Premium
Hollywoodaholic said:
When does this sale end?
TravisR said:
I'm nearly positive that the last day is July 27.
End of the day 7/27 in store and somewhere after midnight Eastern time - sometimes as long as 3am Eastern Tuesday
morning though I wouldn't trust the prices anytime after Midnight.

Expires 7/23 at 2:59am EDT (as always thanks to Laser Movies)
Online only

$5 off $50+ BNRMN721

$10 off $75+ BNSUN10

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badritbneha