What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DVD Talk listed these new online only coupons --

No membership needed. Single item, single use per account. These appear active already
Single coupon per order

20% Off -- good until Thurs, Nov 27 2:59am Eastern
NOV25BN20
BNOFFERS14

15% off
NOV25BN15

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think I've reached my limit on titles for this round, but the Criterion Designs art book is definitely on my radar now.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
30% coupon seems to be working in store if folks are interested in trying. A bit YMMV if the clerk won't use it because is says Friday, but
many people have reported success in using it on Criterions today

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll bump this thread from the depths. There are now multiple reports of B&N clerks saying the July sale will start 7/7 and run through Monday 7/27

For people that haven't done the sale before the earlier posts may be nice to run through the options and a little bit on the movies people have

bought in previous sales.

1) Prices are 50% off MSRP and not 50% whatever current price is listed

2) Sale normally includes all current Criterion DVD and Bluray including most of the Eclipse sets and occasionally a handful of items that get listed under the "Art Films" category (which can include some strange choices to be honest)

3) Only those preorder items that will be released during the sale will normally be 50% off so any 7/28 or later releases likely won't qualify. Sometimes the price will be discounted at the beginning of the sale and sometimes the price doesn't change until the release date.

4) It is active both in store and online

5) If this sale appeals to you there is a very nice offer for a Free 60day Trial B&N Membership which gets you extra 10% off instore purchases or Free Shipping on all orders online. There is no charge for the trial no matter how much you use it as long as you cancel by Day 60. If you decide to keep it then it's $25 yearly -- this offer can only be done easily online, requires a Credit/Debit Card, and technically requires a purchase (many people just get a $10 e-Gift Card) and then you will given an option to register for the Trial. You'll get an email with Membership number that will be active online immediately and instore usually within a couple days, then a week or so later you'll get a physical B&N Card though instore they can look up your membership by phone number or email address if you ever forget it. Members also sometimes get extra discounts through the year -- 20% discount cards through the mail, extra/enhanced discount coupon via email, etc. Honestly I save several hundred $$ yearly at B&N so the membership more than pays for itself though it's far more advantageous if you have a B&N store nearby than if you exclusively have to shop online.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And if someone had bought the same Criterion last week or the week before combining 40% off Blu-ray sales with the 15% and 20% coupons (or member discount), you would have had 55% and 60% off the MSRP, respectively. But, then of course, perhaps it would be limited to how many coupons you had. I just wanted to point that out because we all seem to hang in anticipation of the July and November sales, when the previous week's was actually better. (For future reference)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Hollywoodaholic said:
And if someone had bought the same Criterion last week or the week before combining 40% off Blu-ray sales with the 15% and 20% coupons (or member discount), you would have had 55% and 60% off the MSRP, respectively. But, then of course, perhaps it would be limited to how many coupons you had. I just wanted to point that out because we all seem to hang in anticipation of the July and November sales, when the previous week's was actually better. (For future reference)
You can combine those 15 an 20 coupons with the 50 sale as well. Also there's about three hundred criterion titles that are DVD only, and I usually pick up a couple of those, and you can't use the 40 off bluray sale for those.

I usually pick up three 39.99 titles in store, which is $60 for the sale, then get a ten percent member discount to make it 54, then use a 5 off 50 coupon to make it 49 (+tax). I use percent off coupons for eclipse sets and boxsets.

I only make online orders for rare hard to find titles like The Devil and Daniel Webster or Closely Watched Trains or le samourai

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:

Virtually never is cheaper to buy away from the 50% sale since the same general discounts should be available. More convenient for some and some just don't want to wait or if there is a window where you can only go to the store during the 40% sale, but not 50%.

Even a simple 15% without membership discount gets you to 16.99 during the 50% sale. where a Member discount/ 20% coupon during the 40% sale only gets you to $17.27. Close enough to not worry about it for some people, but I can't see a lot of ways the 40% would ever be cheaper given the same combinations

If your store allow combining the 40 and 15/20% then they'll likely combine the 50% and 15/20%. The last 2 sales have even allowed the coupons for online sales. I guess if you know your store treats one sale differently than the other then there is a different problem

I guess it all becomes dependent on having 15%/20% available, but there has always been at least one set of coupons sent out during the sale (2 sets depending on the actual weeks of the sale). And I know a guy that can help out with extra coupons.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam_S said:
You can combine those 15 an 20 coupons with the 50 sale as well. Also there's about three hundred criterion titles that are DVD only, and I usually pick up a couple of those, and you can't use the 40 off bluray sale for those.

I usually pick up three 39.99 titles in store, which is $60 for the sale, then get a ten percent member discount to make it 54, then use a 5 off 50 coupon to make it 49 (+tax). I use percent off coupons for eclipse sets and boxsets.

I only make online orders for rare hard to find titles like The Devil and Daniel Webster or Closely Watched Trains or le samourai

Probably won;t help now, but the 40% sale the last couple weeks (ending tonight) included DVDs as well which was unusual. Most of the full 40% sales I can remember have been BD only.

The other new thing it sounds like may be BN policy is how to handle in store ship to home orders. In the past you were able to place orders to ship directly to home and use discounts, but not the instore 10% since it was considered a web order. Several people are now reporting the stores are allowing the instore discount to apply just like a direct store pickup so no more having to anticipate the sale, order items to the store to be held for pickup to get the extra instore discount, and hoping the item would arrive before the sale ended.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I think the sale starts tonight online and tomorrow in store.

Everyone should buy marketa lazarova. It's a completely bonkers Tarantino esque or game of thrones esque phantasia of medieval Czech folklore.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In the past the sale prices have gone live somewhere b/w midnight and 1am though there always seems to be some stragglers whose price doesn't change for a while. There are still some glitches with the new web site so everything is still a little iffy. There is a header up on the website though no items are currently listed which you open the banner do pretty much a confirmation of the sale starting overnight

For those that want to stay up and get a quick order is there are some discount codes that are due to expire at 3am Eastern. Unless you have some of the member only mailer coupons these appear to be the only current extra discounts. I don't think there will be any of the email 15% discount coupons this week though there may be some available starting 7/16 through 7/19 though if that changes I'll update.

BNRMN715 $5 off $50 order online (exp 7/7 2:59am EDT)
BNSUMMER75 $10 on a $75 order online (exp 7/7 2:59am EDT)

Member only online -- these don;t expire until well after the sale is finished.

T3P7B8B $5 off $50 total purchase
J3P4X4Y 10% off single item

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, did I have issues with their website. Anyhow, ordered the following titles:

The Killers

Sullivan's Travels

The Palm Beach Story

Five Easy Pieces

The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Odd Man Out

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The new website if having issues for many folks.

The big complaint I've read so far is the outrageous new shipping costs for overseas customers.
3-4 times what last sale cost. Canadian customers seem to be a bit better off.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Visiting family in Colorado, so I picked up Things to Come, House and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp at the Lone Tree location for $17.99 each thanks to B&N card. Going back on the 18th for their Star Wars event and may get more.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Picked up Valerie and her week of wonders, odd man out, and the river today.

Users who are viewing this thread