Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale - Nov. 2017

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Craig Beam, Nov 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

Picked up these today:

In a Lonely Place
    The Lodger
    The Night of the Hunter
    Hopscotch

Was disappointed that the B&N clerk refused my 20% off coupons. Criterion titles are NOT listed on the back of the coupon as exclusions. Some people have had success, others have not. And without being able to use the 20% coupons on Criterions there is simply no reason for me to have a B&N membership. All I use it for is Criterion Blu-rays. I can take advantage of the semiannual 50% off sale without a membership. The extra 10% member savings would require me to buy 13 Criterion titles a year just to break even on the membership cost. At most, I buy 6-8 a year.

I cancelled my membership renewal. Probably a good thing because I have a funny feeling B&N will be closing all of its brick & mortar stores before too long.

https://qz.com/943870/amazon-amzn-will-replace-nearly-every-bookstore-barnes-noble-bks-closes-in-2017/

Mark

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I ordered The Philadelphia Story and Barry Lyndon.

I have yet to see any confirmation on the Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me transfer - I think the CBS disc looked and sounded fine but if the Criterion is magically better (which I don't expect) I could bite on that. Night Of The Hunter and 12 Angry Men are future purchases, but since I've seen both recently, I may put those off until the next sale.

3. SultanOfWhat

SultanOfWhat Agent

Matt
    I got a shipping notice on The Philadelphia Story on November 2nd. Supposed to arrive on Monday the 6th.

4. PMF

PMF Cinematographer

Philip
    You should have asked for his supervisor. Sometimes clerks cover up for their lack of experience by taking on a definitive tone or decisive stance; but truly, some are being defensive and covering up for their lack of homework or expertise. If you have the reciept, go back into the store. It's THEIR sale; so hold them to it.

5. 25 Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    PMF

PMF Cinematographer

Philip
    THIS Barry Lyndon from Criterion looks stupendous.
    It tops the already impressive prior edition from the BD boxed set.
    From Redmond to Redrum; this is a Kubrick not to be missed.:thumbs-up-smiley:

atcolomb likes this.
  6. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

You can always ask, but there are outs on the coupons even without the specific exclusions and many times the managers have already told the clerks the answer. For years many stores/managers (5th Ave in NYC and most LA stores were notorious) have always rejected coupons even when they scanned valid by using either 'their discretion" or used the language on the coupon the "(vi) may not be combined with any other coupon or some promotional discounts when noted."

Some stores have emails from Corporate instructing them NOT TO accept coupons for Criterions and NOT to override. Many managers had Weekly Meetings with the employees and have already told them DO NOT 'or else' so the clerks may just be following their instructions. Most of the times the clerks are more lenient than the managers, but occasionally you'll run into a Manager who would rather keep their customers happy than be "instructed by corporate." Some of the veteran clerks who remember when coupons were allowed are willing to over-ride but have been told (threatened with termination) not to, many of the younger employees I find won't even consider it if the coupon isn't automatic. One of my long term managers who have always been very good to me told me he basically was told if the coupons were overriden anymore it would come directly out his annual bonus or off the top of store net profit margins rather than handled like coupons would normally be handled.

Apparently Criterion themselves have something to do with this policy shift. Most of my stores won't override the coupons (July 2016 some would, Nov 2016 less, and July 2017 none -- even the same clerks), but have always been happy to try them and if they work then it's fine. I really can't ask more than that since I've never been one to push anyway -- if they work great and I'll buy more, if they don't at least they tried it.
    None of the coupons seem to be automatically working now.

Darby67 likes this.
  7. 27 Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    PMF

PMF Cinematographer

Philip
    Well, 50% off is 50% off; with an additional 10% off for being a member.
    Hard to balk at that for a Criterion. Try as we will, these are already darn tootin' good prices, as is.
    Anything less would have to be given to us as a gift from a friend;
    which would be like holding your breath until the next sale, in July of 2018.
    With that, I say thanks; to both Criterion and Barnes & Noble.:cheers:

Darby67 likes this.
  8. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

I have been and will continue to support BN and Criterion. With the Member discount and Gift Card deals my BN prices are less than Criterion.com Flash sales even with the Loyalty bonus/No Tax/Free Shipping. IF Criterion.com does their Double Loyalty Bonus again this making the discs essentially $16 ea then that moves me more than a bit in their direction since it would be really close to the BN deals. I do love being able to handle the discs and esp pick out my own boxsets so not to worry about shipping.

Unfortunately, a couple my BN starting using those horrendous spider wraps intentionally damaging the packaging. I complained about it to the manager and he said it was theft prevention. I asked to describe his normal Criterion Customer -- Film Fan, Collection, obsessed with quality. I showed him a 2-3 boxsets including Zatoichi basically destroyed by the wraps (not just dents, but so tight if cut through the boxset and wouldn't surprise me it the wires cut the booklet and possibly disc) and asked if an Anal Retentive Collector was going to buy that for $75-110 (also showed him a couple $150+ LP sets that almost certainly had damaged the LPs). He did acknowledge it wasn't very likely, but what was he supposed to do -- I gave him several options. Store them behind the manned desks like the $400 books, use a different mechanism to secure the items, train the staff to properly apply the wraps (it actually is possible) to not destroy the merchandise. Stolen merchandise vs unsaleable/damaged merchandise -- what's the difference since they both net $0

Vegas 1, SAhmed, PMF and 2 others like this.
  9. 29 Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    Especially if you buy early in the B&N sale ... the stock comes from the B&N stock and I think I may have received more than one that was shipped in sealed but "shopworn" condition ....

The B&N store closest to me appears to have an alternate solution - no Criterions at all and empty cases for the the most recent big studio releases (last 6 months or so) at prices 2x street price ...

UPDATE: The Philadelphia Story came separately (straight from Technicolor I'ld bet) with no B&N inventory sticker
    [​IMG]

I ordered two Ingmar Bergman blurays: Wild Strawberries looks brand new but has a B&N inventory sticker showing a date of 06/11/13 - The Magician has a B&N inventory sticker showing a date of 10/12/10 and has a torn off sale sticker that effected the BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION Sticker ...

[​IMG]

I'm planning on opening the shrink-wrap anyway but I supposed someone who was "collecting" movies would be angry ...

Darby67 likes this.
  10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Probably instead of ”starts today” the dates the sale is on would be better in the title.

11. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Are you telling me it didn't start today? ;)

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I just might be.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Title edited.

14. PMF

PMF Cinematographer

Philip
    HTF members who shop at Barnes & Noble should follow your lead and also complain about these "Spider Wraps". One big nation-wide complaint. Sad, when they don't know what to do. Indeed, there are options available and their first step is to pass the customer complaint along to their next higher up. I plan on going in soon and will point out the same. Other than that, I have zero complaints.

15. skylark68

skylark68 Supporting Actor

Timothy
    I picked up Two Lane Blacktop from the local store. I've been conflicted with regards to my budget since KL has a good sale going on now too, so I restricted my buying...

Darby67 likes this.
  16. Travis87

Travis87 Stunt Coordinator

Travis
    I've been on a Japanese kick unexpectedly. In the last sale I picked up Seven Samurai, Yojimbo/Sanjuro and The Samurai Trilogy.
    This time I got Kagemusha, Rashomon, Throne of Blood and Lone Wolf & Cub.
    I'm considering Zatoichi but are there any other stand-outs?

Darby67 likes this.
  17. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    The Hidden Fortress heavily influenced George Lucas for Star Wars (Episode 4: A New Hope)
    [​IMG]

atcolomb likes this.
  18. Mike2001

Mike2001 Second Unit

Mike
    I know it is not Criterion, but I heartily recommend the Female Prisoner Scorpion boxset from Arrow.

19. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Three Outlaw Samurai which Rian Johnson has said was an influence for The Last Jedi & The Sword of Doom.

20. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

For the first time, I took advantage of this sale via a store instead of online. We do not have a B&N store in a convenient location to our home, but we happened to be in South Carolina for a couple of weeks during the sale, and there is a store located in the same mall as a restaurant we wanted to try out. So, we made the 30 minute drive each way from our condo, mostly for the restaurant, and I picked up The Philadelphia Story. This was the only title I wanted this time, so this saved me from ordering something I really didn't want just to get the free shipping.