Barnes & Noble 50% Off MSRP Cohen Films and Arrow Video

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
In addition to the Criterion Sale in the above thread, it appears there are some similar sales. I'm not sure I've seen a full Cohen Films sale, though the Arrow sale is becoming a regular sale. The Arrow sale has mostly been an online sale and many/most of the in-store items (and shiptohome orders) have not in the past been on sale though a few have been each time. We'll have to see how this works this time around.

Most of the price are not yet active as of 12:30am ET

50% Off Cohen Media DVDs & Blu-rays

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/50-off-cohen-media-dvds-blu-rays/_/N-2tnf

50% Off Arrow Video
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/50-off-arrow-video/_/N-2tgh

Coupons appear blocked for all 50% off items

Reactions: Darby67

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
Haven't figured out the rhyme or reason behind some of the excluded titles (hopefully more will change over time), but at least most items are now 50% off online.

I don't think the 50% off title for Arrow or Cohen applies to most in-store (or shiptohome) items so getting the 10% member discount may be moot.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
That's weird, the pricing just changed again on that title and not for the better.
Not sure if you on a cached page or not -- B&N site is pretty bad about that at times

Either the price is jumping back and forth a lot or maybe you're pulling an old copy.

I'm seeing 19.99 right now. Add it to your cart (or clean browser or incognito) if you haven't done so and see if it's the lower price.
I've checked the listing a few times this afternoon and I've always seen 50%. I was having a price discrepency with a different item though that turned out to be my browser, not the price on the site.

Some others were getting weird price jumps depending on whether they were signed in or not or mobile website vs desktop site. Cleaning the cache/cookies or browser fixed most of those

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Man, I just went through all 230 Arrow films offered up on B&N.com and didn't find but one I'm interested in (The Major and the Minor). The films in the Arrow collection just aren't my thing, I guess.

Although I'd swear when compiling the Weekly RoundUps that I would occasionally see Arrow releases that interested me.

I didn't find much from Cohen Media either, although the few there that have interested me, I often pick up near release week.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
Arrow is a unique and/or weird label -- tons of good and bad horror/giallo, decent amt of Grade B to D level cult films, a decent amount of items I'd expect to see from Eureka/Criterion.
A lot of nice Noir-ish stuff esp in the Academy label esp in there Region B only releases (though some of those come in US flavor). A nice collection of interesting Westerns (US and International)

Most certainly not a label that appeals to everyone.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I picked up the following Cohen Media releases:

That Man from Rio/Up to His Ears
City of Women
Shakespeare Wallah
Beauty of the Devil

I also had The Artist and the Model in my cart but when I went to checkout it switched to "Temporarily Out of Stock" and I was unable to purchase it. I hope they get it back in stock before the sale ends.

I also want to purchase Blancanieves but that has been listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock" so i was unable to put it in my cart. I hope this title also gets restocked before the sale ends.

Does anybody know the end date for the Cohen Media sale?

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
They didn't list the end date. Since this is really first of a kind there isn't a way to really anticipate either.
My best guess since they ramped it up with the Criterion and Arrow sales is that it will be most of the month

The only 50% preorder is a Nov 12 release so that would make you think at least through Nov 18.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Man, I just went through all 230 Arrow films offered up on B&N.com and didn't find but one I'm interested in (The Major and the Minor). The films in the Arrow collection just aren't my thing, I guess.
They certainly seem to run the gamut, from The Major and the Minor, The Apartment, A Fish Called Wanda, Gosford Park, etc., to Microwave Massacre, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, The Story of Sin, and The Gore Gore Girls.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Arrow put out an excellent two-disc special edition Cinema Paradiso release on Blu-ray and DVD back in March 2017.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
About 90-95% of the released titles appear 50% off MSRP online. This sale doesn't apply to most in-store titles, but B&N is now Pricematching it's webprice if you run into that problem though most stores only carry 15-20 total (there are a few stores that do carry 80-100 however). The PM does effectively eliminate the 10% member discount though since that is applied PRIOR to the PM. A couple of the Limited Edition aren't on-sale online, but even a few of them are 40% off in store and I think those are even coupon eligible so they end up around 50% anyway

60-70% of the Cohens are OOS or maybe OOP, but that was the case prior to the sale. I did notice about 10-12 items actually came back into stock for order today.

ScottJH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The limited edition of An American Werewolf in London is one of the titles that isn't 50% off online but the regular edition is. Did the regular edition not have a slipcase?

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
The limited edition of An American Werewolf in London is one of the titles that isn't 50% off online but the regular edition is. Did the regular edition not have a slipcase?
I don;t think so -- that's usually one of the things removed from teh LE when they release a basic edition. I really like the normal Arrow Slipcases. This also had a nice little booklet and a poster included. Both are 1 disc releases unlike the Robocop and Waterworld LE vs Std which both lose content

In store the LE is 40% off and several stores have it in stock. I picked it up today for $22 and change with membership and a 15% coupon. I'm not 100% sure the coupon was supposed to go through, but I think the clerk was in a good mood and made it work.

Also picked up Man of a Thousands Faces for $16 (also stickered 40% on in store)

ScottJH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I don;t think so -- that's usually one of the things removed from teh LE when they release a basic edition. I really like the normal Arrow Slipcases. This also had a nice little booklet and a poster included. Both are 1 disc releases unlike the Robocop and Waterworld LE vs Std which both lose content

In store the LE is 40% off and several stores have it in stock. I picked it up today for $22 and change with membership and a 15% coupon. I'm not 100% sure the coupon was supposed to go through, but I think the clerk was in a good mood and made it work.

Also picked up Man of a Thousands Faces for $16 (also stickered 40% on in store)
I ordered the regular edition online early morning on 11/01 before it went out of stock. The copy they sent me didn't have one. Hmm... got any extra 15% coupons?

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
I ordered the regular edition online early morning on 11/01 before it went out of stock. The copy they sent me didn't have one. Hmm... got any extra 15% coupons?
The coupons have mostly dried up over the last month -- both online and store. I suspect this has much to do with the buyout as several of the 'extras' have disappeared. Hopefully this is temporary and will pick up through the season -- usually B&N is pretty aggressive with the coupons from BF through Christmas. Even the normal member coupons they send in the mail at the end of Oct didn't come this year. The weekly (sometimes twice weekly) Holiday email coupons so far have been missing.

There is a GC card promotion going on in-store for now similar to previous years, but a bit different rules.

Buy $50 GC (in-store only) and get a $10 off $25 promotional Gift Card that will be active 12/3-12/24.
That's effectively 18% off once you buy $60 in items. It sounds like you can only use one promotional 10 off 25 per purchase though so making multiple small purchases is probably the best tact.

Of course this dependent on what sales will run in December. Usually 50-60% off British TV sets and the 40% off All Bluray happen. The last couple years they've run the 50% Arrow sale at least part of month as well as some General TV set deal

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidJ

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deano86