1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray Pre-Christmas Sale (12-18-18 thru 12-24-18)

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by David Norman, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, David! I'll be mighty interested to hear what you find out.

2. David Norman

David Norman Producer

So far, the ship-to-home items have been working like normal.
    1 person said his 10% Member Discount was subtracted and at least one of his coupons worked.
    I think I read that Criterions were 40% off In-store.

I don't think regular coupons are working on in-store purchases that are in teh 40% sale, but in the past items that were 40% in-store, but regular price online did still accept coupons which would be excellent for things like the Warner Archive items.

This assumes you have any in-store coupons to even try. Even Members only got a single 20% code in late Nove instead of the normal pair and last weekends 25% code expired. Waiting until Th or Friday to see if we get a weekend coupon or possibly a weekend and M/T coupon pair.

3. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    No go for me on the 20% off mailer coupon. It didn't automatically take off and the clerk asked out on her 2 way radio if coupons were accepted on the Blu-ray sale. I thought she was going to manually add it when she didn't get an immediate response but after she asked a 2nd time she got a reply to deny it.

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Which item or items? Were those actual in-store titles or ShiptoHome items?

This sale always has some interesting quirks and even more YMMV than a normal BN sale

5. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    All in store. Big Trouble Little China Steelbook, Street Fighter Collection, Slaughterhouse FIve, The Grand Duel & Touch of Evil

6. Message #26 of 29 Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

My first response -- wow, your store actually had all those in stock? I don't think any of my nearest 6-7 Media stores even has even one of those (after checking I don't even of the media stores within 400 miles have a single one). I'm going to guess you're in NYC, Baltimore, or LA? There seem to be about half dozen stores I lovingly labelled SuperMedia stores since they seem more like warehouses than normal stores and often carry 5-10x the inventory of even the better stores

Honestly I was shocked with recent sales that any of the coupons worked for anyone.
    Next -- will the shiptohome items work differently than in-store merchandise. I'm guessing long shot, but it wouldn't be the first time.

7. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Some good news, some bad news -- 40% sale is underway
    10% member for ShiptoHome orders have been applying at least for the early buyers
    Coupons mostly aren't working though that's not totatlly unexpected.

The biggest downer seems to be that many of the ShiptoHome items are not pulling up 40% off in the computer. Some of the Warner Archives titles are, but many aren't which
    has never happened before other than items that are basically OOS and can't be ordered and a couple one-off items. The same appears to be happening with a lot of the Sony and Universal
    pressed MOD titles. This group has been my main sale items for several years in this sale.
    Hopefully a first day issue, but if this is a new normal it really hamstrings the sale.

A few of the Scream/Shout titles that have been reported have come up 40% off in the computer for STH orders

Still waiting for more people to report their results, but this isn't looking promising for what was one of my favorite underutilized twice yealy sales.

8. David Norman

David Norman Producer

One deal I know some here might be interested in though you have to order through the store system (not website) to get it.

Abbott and Costello Ultimate boxset for $100
    For members an extra 10% and it's possible a coupon would apply if you happen to have one available.

ManW_TheUncool likes this.
  9. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Sale has been a lot more hit or miss than normal, but overall has been OK

I finally was able to make a store run today and check some prices and processes. The best news is that the 10% Member Discount for store generated STH has been working without fail for all members and orders.

Most every non Disney outside of the teh MOD lines seems to be pulls up 40% in the computer regardless of the online price.
    Extra coupons if you have some stashed or the 20% Member Mailer coupon (expires tonight) have been working of some items, but not other via STH orders, but I've not heard of people getting them to work without an override for direct in-store purchases.

There may be at least a in-store 15% coupon for Sun-Tues, hoping for something extra,

Best Deal of my day
    Abbott and Costello Ultimate BD set from Shout-- MSRP 170 -- 40%+ 10% member discount + 20% member coupon -- $73+ tax
    Shout's Dracula (1979) was discounted
    The Fan was discounted, but none in the warehouse to order

Most of items that I checked or have reported are mostly the items released since summer.
    Warner Archive items are pulling up 40% off in the computer on about 1/2 the items checked, but no real pattern of price or release day (Thin Man, Pure Country yes, Jezebel, The Letter, Setup No). Some TV sets are discounted (Longmire, Blindspot), others are not (Lethal Weapon 3, Riverdale 3, The 100 S6). Jonny Quest yes, Popeye No

Sony MOD -- 75% are allowing the 40% to apply including most of the items checked. Supposedly Look Who's Talking, Heist, and Man for All Season are not though

Universal MOD -- a bit more hit or miss, but about 1/2 - 2/3 were discounted. Scarface, Me Baseball, Arabesque, Childhoods End were, Primary Colors, Electric Horseman, Waking the Dead were not. I also tried a flier on Abominable 3D but both not on sale and not available to order STH.