What's new

Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray June 11 through June 16, 2019 (End Date UPDATED) (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm going to post this with a bit of crossed fingers. If it fizzles or the details change I'll edit the post (or get the mods to help)

I've asked several time in the last week and none of my CSR know or can confirm the sale is coming up. One poster on blu-ray said his local store manager did confirm the sale though. The normal sale starts on Tuesday prior to Father's Day and runs through Sunday night.

Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray excludes Disney/Marvel/Lucas and Criterions
DVD are sometimes part of the June sale
Tuesday June 11 Sunday, through June 16, 2019

Typical Sale Information from past sales:
1) Should include all Blu-rays in-store except the excluded categories -- DVDs may be included om then June sale. Movies, TV Sets, and at least some 4KUHD are usually eligible.
Most items classified as Music items including a LP or CD with Blu-ray are classified as Music aren't normally included.
In-store also includes items available for store computer generated ship to home program and includes Member discount and often allows in-store coupons.. The STH programs allows non-media stores to participate in this type sale.
STH orders can often be done by phone (not all stores will do) and can all stores not just your local. This can be extremely helpful for those without a local store, but each store can do the order differently -- not all allow extra coupons and most phone orders do not allow Gift Card use.
There are a few studios and items classified at Web Only which function as 3rd Party and aren't included though there aren't many in this group

2) Online -- usually about 2/3 of items are included, 6/2018 was unusual in many extents and ther was not an online part of the sale. Some studios like Warner Archives rarely are included online, but most are discounted for the store generated ship to home orders.
Newer release and some Deluxe items often are excluded pure online as well.

3) 10% Member discount apply in-store. Coupons both on-line and in-store are often allowed, but not always so we'll have to wait to confirm the details. Oddly some of the items that are normal price online, but 40%off store or STH will accept coupons even if most when the std 40% items are excluded so it's always worth trying.

4) Preorders are almost never 40% online. In-store ship to home can often allow some of the these items to be ordered at 40% off though coupons shouldn't be allowed. Not all preorders will be included, but I've had items up to 8-10 weeks out allowed so YMMV. BAckordered or OOS items usually aren't allowed to be ordered online or STH though the warehouse stock for STH orders isn't exactly the same as normal web orders (I had it go both directions)

The newest set of Mailer Coupons do not specifically exclude items in the 40% sale (YET) so we'll have to see how that works on Tuesday either online or instore

As a rule, not all items 40% off even with member and extra coupons are good deals. Many mass market items and TV sets often get 65-80% discounts during Deep Discount or Best Buy sales so check past price history of specific items or similar categories.

I find this sale can be especially good on items that rarely go on sale -- or at least very rarely. Most/Many of these aren't discounted online, but tend to be mostly available through the ship-to-home program -- Warner Archives, Allied Vaughn Sony and Universal MOD pressed BD, Cohen, a lot of Shout Factory. Flicker Alley can sometimes be a good deal, but often B&N system have those listed at their original MSRP and not the latest MSRP (FA for some reason is far more aggressive at dropping the MSRP than most studios.). With coupons and/or member discounts the WAC item can often be lower than 4/44 sales AND usually no worries about multidisc, TV Sets, or new releases being excluded.

Moderator's Note: Some of the above text has been changed to correct the end date of the sale to June 16th.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SHIP TO HOME ORDERS -- Quick Primer

Store generated Ship-to- Home orders can be the gold mine in this sale since you don't have to (pre)order an item into the store hoping it will arrive before the end of the sale like in the old days nor hope it's in-stock at your local store. It also makes Non Media stores almost as useful as Media stores since I find the STH part of the sale is where most of the best deals are. Even though these are shipped to your house, this is considered an "Instore purchase from the Extended Warehouse or Virtual Backroom" in virtually every way - in-store price, member discount, in-store coupons. The only thing that can be an issue is whether you still have to meet the $35 price for Free Non-member shipping -- in December a lot of folks made small orders and still got FS (I wouldn't expect that again).

Ship to Home orders will also be allowed by some stores over the phone -- again this is even more time consuming so try to hit the slow times of the day. Not all stores will do this, but most seem to be OK with it. This is extremely nice for folks without a nearby store, a last minute order for a forgotten item, or something that may have been OOS earlier, but comes back into stock during the sale. Coupons can be iffy on phone orders, Member Discount shouldn't be a problem, and MOST stores will only allow CC/Debit and do not accept Gift Cards by phone. There is also no reason you can't use an Oregon or Hawaii store if you live on the East Coast.

Backordered or OOS items aren't usually allowed to be ordered though sometimes the store STH inventory can differ from the std online inventory.

Overall this sounds more complicated than it really is -- 1st time is time consuming but not difficult if the CSR has done it before. Once you've done it a couple times it makes more sense and at the same store it becomes much easier/quicker since a lot of the basic information will preload into the computer

Std procedure of STH orders is to go to the Cust Service desk and ask to create an order -- it can be done at checkout counter in some stores, but it's time consuming and even at slow periods the line behind you can expand uncomfortably. If you haven't done an order from this specific store before they usually have to input all your data from scratch so be prepared - email address and phone number, billing/shipping address, etc create an invoice at the CSR computer and have you take that to the counter for payment though I have had some CS process the payment at the same spot. Sometime shipping is on the invoice and the member discount isn't reflected, but the 40% off price should be correct. At the Checkout desk, they add your Member Infor which deducts the 10% and subtract any shipping charges it you make a less than $35 order. If you have some coupons they usually get added at the checkout computer. Pay and they should give you a receipt to attach to your CSR generated invoice printout -- I strongly suggest stapling those together and saving all the paper until every item is delivered and the return period expired.

If you think it's hard finding items by search at home and get the format correct, it's not much easier for the CSR. I usually go armed with a list of items and their UPC codes since that should take you directly to the item/format you want (most of the time the 12 digit UPC works, but sometimes the computer wants the 13 digit BN UPC with the leading zero)

Normally you will get an email notification of your ORDER along with an order number -- make 100% sure your email is in their system before they generate the invoice. This IS NOT going to show up under your online account order status. If for some reason you need to contact BN about anything, make sure you clarify it was a store STH order and not a normal web order -- their system has always separated those items as well. There is a special email address to contact BN for STH orders if you go that route.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As usual this sale is off to a clunky start as most of the 40% off titles aren't even listed on their site yet.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Select 40% seems to be the online component, but SHOW ALL only pulls up a few titles. Individually tons of BDs are 40% off, but you have to be using a wishlist or individually searching for items to find them. As expected -- most of the Flicker Alley, WAC, Sony and Universal MOD from Allied Vaughn, and a lot of newer titles in general aren't part of the online sale

Better news the IN-STORE part seems to be working and that's where most of the deals are since most of those excluded items above (not Criterion, not Disney) are working and coupons are applying if you have them. The 40% SALE has always been a primary in-store event with a smaller, less useful online component.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The online part of the sale seems to be fully up now.

About 470 4K titles and 12000 BD are 40% off
In store/ShiptoHome BD 40% inventory should be 30-40% larger

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Select 40% seems to be the online component, but SHOW ALL only pulls up a few titles. Individually tons of BDs are 40% off, but you have to be using a wishlist or individually searching for items to find them. As expected -- most of the Flicker Alley, WAC, Sony and Universal MOD from Allied Vaughn, and a lot of newer titles in general aren't part of the online sale

Better news the IN-STORE part seems to be working and that's where most of the deals are since most of those excluded items above (not Criterion, not Disney) are working and coupons are applying if you have them. The 40% SALE has always been a primary in-store event with a smaller, less useful online component.
Yeah, the sale kind of sucks for me as I was only able to buy one title due to their restrictions on those titles you referenced. I did buy two other titles with the help of some 20% off coupons.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pretty much all my 40% purchases tend to be in store via Ship tio Home programs. Closest stores are 45 minutes so I just have to combine other shopping trips and buy everything all at one time to help with gas money. Probably could do it by phone, but I try not to do more than 2-3 titles at a time by phone.

It's very nice to pile up all the WAC and Sony MOD (and a few Universal) titles for 60-65% off after member and coupons. The WAC TV sets never seem to be on sale anywhere though those are mostly Dec purchases. I think Shameless s8 is the only recent release and being able to get it for $17 is awfully good.

Getting the WAC for $9-10 without waiting for a 4/44, no new release or multidisc exclusions and from the sound of it even some of the preorders are also 40% off (member discount, but no coupons). Gaslight and Popeye V2 for under $12 are on my list

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It seems Amazon may be price matching some of the B&N online sale prices -might want to check camelX3 before purchasing ...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It seems Amazon may be price matching some of the B&N online sale prices -might want to check camelX3 before purchasing ...

Price matching a lot of prices at least partially-- not including the 15-20% coupons and member discounts of course
It also doesn't help at all for those items that are discounted only in the in-store system (store or shiptohome orders) which is 95% what I'm after

There are 15% codes available now, and overnight the normal Fathers Day codes should show up -- for Mothers Day it was a 20% code and usually (not always) the FD code is similar.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Quite a few good to very good deal online. Actually the 40% Sale + 20% online code is pretty close to instore deals with 10% member and 15% coupon esp if you use rebate sites like topcash or e bates to add a bit more savings (up to 10% for while)

i just ransacked several B&N stores -- or at least the Customer Service desk with a pile of orders for items on sale through the store portal but not online.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Note correction in the OP. I actually saw the Printed BN signage in store an hour ago for the first time and it appears the end date is Sunday Night June 16, not Monday 17th

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David,

If a Sony MOD title(Real Genius) isn't listed on the BN website, are they unable to order it in-store?

Also what are the odds Zatoichi: DIHA wouldn't be discounted in-store. Have a store that says it's in stock but don't want to waste a trip if I get there and it's not. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-zatoichi-takeshi-kitano/6085121?ean=0631595180985

The Zatoichi item I'd say nearly 100% chance it's discounted, but a phone call could confirm. I have found 2 random itmes so far that weren't discounted.

The Sony Choice burned BD-R -- I'm not sure how they are handled in hte sale. The pressed BD line appear to all be 40% off
If it's not in hte system I'd say unlikely to be discounted. As far as I can tell Real Genius is not listed on Deep Discount or other ALLIANCE clients going by teh UPC so it may be a discontinued line and OOP

Bullmoose lists it as unavailable as does every site I can find

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hey David - with this sale plus the Fathers Day coupons, the new Batman UHD discs come down to $20 each (holding steady at $25 on Amazon) - do you think that’s as reasonable as those get for the next month or so? I’m sure they’ll be cheaper when the set comes out but I’m feeling impatient :)

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
The Zatoichi item I'd say nearly 100% chance it's discounted, but a phone call could confirm. I have found 2 random itmes so far that weren't discounted.

The Sony Choice burned BD-R -- I'm not sure how they are handled in hte sale. The pressed BD line appear to all be 40% off
If it's not in hte system I'd say unlikely to be discounted. As far as I can tell Real Genius is not listed on Deep Discount or other ALLIANCE clients going by teh UPC so it may be a discontinued line and OOP

Bullmoose lists it as unavailable as does every site I can find

Ended up making a trip to that store & it did ring up with the 40% off. Along with the member 10% off I had 3 20% off coupons(2 mailer, 1 email) & ended up getting Zatoichi: DIHA $12.95, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan Director's Cut $6.90 & Creature From the Black Lagoon Legacy Coll $17.27(it had the 00022 sticker) before tax.

Amazon still has Real Genius in stock but I'm not paying $26.99

What's up with the different MSRP on website vs. ship to home items?
The ship to home order I put in for Grease & MI: Ghost Protocol(both 4k) with member 10% off & 2 15% off coupons ended up being 11 cents more than if I would have ordered them online with just the "Fathersday" 15% off. On the website both are listed MSRP $25.99 but my register receipt for the ship to home shows Grease @ $29.99 & MI: GP @ $27.99

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
E
Amazon still has Real Genius in stock but I'm not paying $26.99

What's up with the different MSRP on website vs. ship to home items?
The ship to home order I put in for Grease & MI: Ghost Protocol(both 4k) with member 10% off & 2 15% off coupons ended up being 11 cents more than if I would have ordered them online with just the "Fathersday" 15% off. On the website both are listed MSRP $25.99 but my register receipt for the ship to home shows Grease @ $29.99 & MI: GP @ $27.99

The online instore issue is part of the issues BN has with MSRP that change after release. The in-store database seems to lock in the original MSRP until the item UPC changes while hte online database (ALLIANCE price database). This has always been as issue with B&N and a lot of the 4K items has now dropped their official MSRP

Someone did say the in-store Space 1999 MSRP which was originally set at 130 has now been reset to 110 to match the online price -- can't confirm, but that would make the $60-65 price with 40% and 20% (and possible 10% member) code a significant advantage over the $80 current low price,

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey David - with this sale plus the Fathers Day coupons, the new Batman UHD discs come down to $20 each (holding steady at $25 on Amazon) - do you think that’s as reasonable as those get for the next month or so? I’m sure they’ll be cheaper when the set comes out but I’m feeling impatient :)

I strongly suspect anything Warner will drop, but just not in 2- months so it just depends on your wait

$20 Now isn't a bad price this close to release, but really for 2 movies (or 2.5) I'm waiting for the boxset
and I wouldn't be surprised to see this on the 3 for 45 plans in a few months

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks