Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series

pegward

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Peggy
After reading these comments I really wish my set would arrive. I guess I need to get on VEI again, the last time I called they told me it was sent media mail and from New York to Texas takes a while. If I had known standard shipping mean't media mail I would have never taken the free shipping. I ordered when it first became available and yet I still haven't received it. It is good to hear others are enjoying it.

rwd11954

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Russ Dixon
As of 1/1/16, the price has dropped below $150 on Amazon. With Prime free shipping, you can have it in two days.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I would probably pay that price for uncut, remastered episodes.

For these transfers of syndicated videotapes, I'm going to wait for a lower price.

Harry-N

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Harry N.
This is just an FYI for BARNABY JONES fans. Ages ago in the MANNIX thread, we discussed the way CBS handled both MANNIX and BARNABY JONES by combining the two shows into a "MYSTERY DOUBLE FEATURE" device on Sunday nights. It took place in either all or part of seasons 6 and 7 of MANNIX - whenever the two shows ran in tandem.

For sure, at the start of the 1973-74 season, the two were running as part of this "MYSTERY DOUBLE FEATURE" thingy. As such, the network produced an enveloping animation that used a black cat - at least that's all most can remember - and that device ate up a little bit of time.

View attachment 25515

How this affected BARNABY JONES, I can't say. But the early Season 7 episodes of MANNIX, uncut on DVD, run about 49 minutes.

Harry

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
pegward said:
After reading these comments I really wish my set would arrive. I guess I need to get on VEI again, the last time I called they told me it was sent media mail and from New York to Texas takes a while. If I had known standard shipping mean't media mail I would have never taken the free shipping. I ordered when it first became available and yet I still haven't received it. It is good to hear others are enjoying it.
I ordered from VEI and mine took almost two weeks to get to California.

pegward

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Peggy
Carabimero said:
I ordered from VEI and mine took almost two weeks to get to California.
Thanks! That gives me hope!

Has anybody gotten to the last few seasons (5-8) yet? I was just wondering about the quality and if most of them are the syndicated ones?

yyz2ams

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Bonita
I am so happy to add Barnaby Jones to my dvd collection......really enjoying it...Just started season 5....Season 5 seems to run about 45 to 46 minutes....they don't seem to show the "Act" though....have not noticed yet for Season 5....the first 4 seasons...pretty sporadic for showing the "Act I" and so forth...not very many at all...in fact the odds are mostly without the Acts. I must say on some of the episodes you can tell....at the end...the very end just as the crime is solved...it becomes the end of the show ...bang done. And it seems....I stress it seems like the epilogue is missing. Season 5 seems better for that...very near the end the story with the full outcome and wrap up. (Where Barnaby comes together with his client in the end) You can tell by the music....kind of an ending crescendo music........on some of the earlier seasons....it ends rather abruptly after the crime is solve... no ending crescendo music at all. Bang and then the end credits. Has anyone else noticed this? Just an observation. It is a little disappointing at times...but I am still thoroughly enjoying the purchase and glad to have Barnaby Jones in my collection. I was very young when my parents use to watch...so it has been wonderful watching it all over again. Memory lane.... No regrets with my purchase. It was a marathon weekend for Barnaby Jones watching...loved it... Can't wait to watch more...with Jedidiah..season 5. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
It really is wonderful to watch it again. I'm glad I wasn't put off by the sometimes-less-than-perfect quality and syndicated cuts because I'd be missing out on a special show--and all the special memories it brings back. A million dollars can't buy those memories.

pegward

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Peggy
yyz2ams said:
I am so happy to add Barnaby Jones to my dvd collection......really enjoying it...Just started season 5....Season 5 seems to run about 45 to 46 minutes....they don't seem to show the "Act" though....have not noticed yet for Season 5....the first 4 seasons...pretty sporadic for showing the "Act I" and so forth...not very many at all...in fact the odds are mostly without the Acts. I must say on some of the episodes you can tell....at the end...the very end just as the crime is solved...it becomes the end of the show ...bang done. And it seems....I stress it seems like the epilogue is missing. Season 5 seems better for that...very near the end the story with the full outcome and wrap up. (Where Barnaby comes together with his client in the end) You can tell by the music....kind of an ending crescendo music........on some of the earlier seasons....it ends rather abruptly after the crime is solve... no ending crescendo music at all. Bang and then the end credits. Has anyone else noticed this? Just an observation. It is a little disappointing at times...but I am still thoroughly enjoying the purchase and glad to have Barnaby Jones in my collection. I was very young when my parents use to watch...so it has been wonderful watching it all over again. Memory lane.... No regrets with my purchase. It was a marathon weekend for Barnaby Jones watching...loved it... Can't wait to watch more...with Jedidiah..season 5. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Speaking from the episodes I collected over the years (Big Mark Shera fan) a lot of the episodes that were shown in syndication had that quick ending which I call poor editing or I guess they didn't think we cared to see the ending. It wasn't until I collected some episodes from overseas that I was able to see what had been edited out and that is why I was hoping VEI would put out the full episodes. I guess in their eyes the bit at the end doesn't affect the crime being solved but it sure is a nice wrap up to the episode.

I look forward to seeing the first episode of the 5th season that introduced J.R. because the edited version left out details that weren't explained until I saw the complete episode.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Reaction score
Website
ron1973.blogspot.com
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
pegward said:
Speaking from the episodes I collected over the years (Big Mark Shera fan) a lot of the episodes that were shown in syndication had that quick ending which I call poor editing or I guess they didn't think we cared to see the ending. It wasn't until I collected some episodes from overseas that I was able to see what had been edited out and that is why I was hoping VEI would put out the full episodes. I guess in their eyes the bit at the end doesn't affect the crime being solved but it sure is a nice wrap up to the episode.

I look forward to seeing the first episode of the 5th season that introduced J.R. because the edited version left out details that weren't explained until I saw the complete episode.
I think the same thing was done with much of The Andy Griffith Show with the epilogue being left off in syndication.

andyjharper

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Andrew
So help me out here. I have the complete set and I'm really enjoying it. However, several of you have talked about the "epilogue" section of the show. Was that in Barnaby Jones? The first season which is the re-mastered set that CBS put out and several episodes in Season 2 are unedited (according to comments). However, none of these have any "epilogues"; only Act I-IV. So, are the episodes complete? at 50.XX minutes it would appear so. The syndicated ones are 46 mins and don't have anything (Act I-IV or otherwise).

Also, I just have to say that the full episodes do flow much better. One episode in Season 2 was particularity choppy as far as flow went after they removed sections for the syndicated version. Most aren't too bad, but I'm sure I'll see others that are very noticeable as far as editing. That said, I am loving the set. The quality is hit or miss as others have mentioned but I'll take it for what it is. Also, when you binge watch this show you start to realize how corny the show was. The clues that Barnaby discovered in no time as opposed to the police makes you wonder how any of the cops investigating the "accidents" ever got on the force. One episode has a string of three dead bodies that could be tied together and the police still weren't investigating?!

But how can you hate a show that has lines like "I can eat anything as long as I can wash it down with a glass of cold milk."

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Hello! I believe that most of Quinn Martin's TV Shows had 4 ACTS and an Epilogue. However, Cannon and Barnaby Jones just had 4 ACTS. Cannon and Barnaby Jones did not have an Epilogue.

Take Care!

Robert

pegward

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Peggy
I don't think it was called an Epilogue but what I am talking about that they edited out was the "feel good" scene at the end. A lot of times it was funny. The best example I can give is the first episode of the last season "Man on Fire". After Barnaby tells the "bad guy" "yes you are" it jumps really quick to the credits, it somewhat catches you by surprise. Anyway in the full episode there is a final scene back in the office with Barnaby, Betty and J.R. talking about the bad guy and then Barnaby pulls a fast one on J.R. which gives you a good chuckle.

I finally received my set and I have to say that the people at VEI are good to work with. After a three week wait they decided it was lost and sent me another one which I received in two days. I have only checked episodes in the last four seasons and while the quality isn't great it is better than I have and so far I have only seen two that disappointed me. What really upsets me is that I will have to keep my current copies because they have the scenes that were edited out and in my opinion they add to the story.

I have never seen the 2-4 season so I guess I will really enjoy those because I won't know what I am missing. So I guess I am in the better than nothing opinion but I don't feel that I received my money's worth.

andyjharper

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Andrew
So Peggy,

How did you get the episodes you have? I've seen bootleg copies out there on ioffer for example. They're cheap and only have about 100 episodes (and it doesn't mention which ones). It also doesn't mention if they're uneditied or not. I'm curious of dropping yet another $25 or so on bootleg copies would give me any more enjoyment. From what I can see after transferring the VEI set to my media server, there are only five uneditied episodes included after season 2. It's a bummer. I sure will be upset if at some point down the road VEI receives the unedited versions and starts putting those on the DVDs.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
I looked on EBay, and it seems that the individual seasons within the full release of Barnaby Jones (outside of the first season, which was only 4 discs) are packaged in the same manner to the six-disc seasons within the full release of Hotel (layered discs on each of the inside panels, and the remaining two discs on the middle flip panel).

Here's an example from the fifth season:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnaby-Jones-THE-COMPLETE-SEASON-5-2015-/111862361038?hash=item1a0b842bce:g:4FgAAOSwUdlWhBiq

Carabimero

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
The second season episode with Leslie Neilson (disc three, episode two, I think) is the first syndicated episode where the cuts were really numerous and choppy and distracted me from the episode. It still runs 46 and change but it seemed there were half a dozen chops, abrupt ones, all in the first 15 minutes. Hopefully this is an exception.

pegward

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Peggy
andyjharper said:
So Peggy,

How did you get the episodes you have? I've seen bootleg copies out there on ioffer for example. They're cheap and only have about 100 episodes (and it doesn't mention which ones). It also doesn't mention if they're uneditied or not. I'm curious of dropping yet another $25 or so on bootleg copies would give me any more enjoyment. From what I can see after transferring the VEI set to my media server, there are only five uneditied episodes included after season 2. It's a bummer. I sure will be upset if at some point down the road VEI receives the unedited versions and starts putting those on the DVDs.
About 10 years ago I was really into this show (well anything Mark Shera was in) and you could find trading groups where you could trade episodes of things you had recorded with people who had things you wanted. I guarantee those bootleg copies out there on ioffer are the result of someone trying to make money off of trades. I don't think you would be happy with them because the quality of those would make these VEI episodes look like the were first rate. LOL! What you would get would be a combination of edited and unedited episodes. The unedited episodes would be from someone who recorded them overseas and in those the soundtrack is sped up. One of my fellow traders bought those ioffer ones back when they were selling for a lot more than 25.00 (against my advice). Hope that helps.

andyjharper

Auditioning
Reaction score
Real Name
Andrew
Peggy,

Thanks. For the ones that the soundtrack is sped up I'm not concerned as long as I could ienditify those. There's a free program out there that will convert region 2 video speeds to region 1 video speeds (inlcuding the sound). I converted all the episodes from The Greatest American Hero using that because the official ones sold overseas had all the original music and the ones in the USA didn't due to licensing rights. With Barnaby, I'd be more worried about picture quality.

Mike Frezon

Reaction score
Please. Per the HTF Rule book:

5. Respect for copyrights. Home Theater Forum has a strict policy of respecting the rights of copyright holders. We do not allow promotion of bootleg material or discussion on how to obtain it, and we immediately delete all links to sites that deal in bootleg material. If you have any doubt whether a source is legitimate, please check with a moderator before posting any links. We also do not allow discussion of (a) how to make unauthorized copies of video or audio materials, (b) how to defeat any form of copy protection (including, for example, how to make "personal" copies of commercially produced DVDs), and/or © how to obtain equipment that can only be used for such purposes. In one form or another, this rule goes back to the very origins of HTF. We are serious about it. Please do not try to debate copyright law with us. We're not interested in discussing what the law should be. Public discussion about copyright law is allowed as long as it doesn't violate any portion of this or any other site rule. We believe it is in the best interest of HTF to enforce this policy strictly, and members test it at their peril.

pegward

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Peggy
I keep forgetting to mention this and maybe other people already know this but when I first started watching these episodes I was really disappointed in the quality. My husband came home and started messing around with the options on the TV and changed two settings from off to on and it greatly improved the episodes. They went from poor to pretty good. I was surprised at the difference, there are some that it just helped a bit but before they were really bad. The two settings he changed were Digital Noise Filter and the MPEG Filter.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RebeccaLawrence