Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series

Hasslein

Second Unit
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
277
Reaction score
78
Points
110
Real Name
Jim
FanCollector said:
No, alas that one has been cut. It's 46/49ths of Ms. Wallace or none at all.
Thank you. I will still pick up the set, I agree it is better than nothing at all.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bryan^H

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Messages
969
Reaction score
294
Points
610
Location
Glendale, California
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
If you're unsatisfied with the use of Syndicated episodes in the collection, here's an idea:


Try looking for 16mm network prints on eBay.
 

pegward

Extra
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Points
10
Real Name
Peggy
FanCollector said:
No, alas that one has been cut. It's 46/49ths of Ms. Wallace or none at all.
That is too bad because if I remember correctly the edits on that one in syndication were really bad and obvious.
 

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
819
Points
1,610
Real Name
Brian
Got my set yesterday. It's very nicely put together. Sturdy outer box. Nice disc cases. Just looking at things on a surface level, the set looks top notch. Worthy of it's price tag. Sadly, I'm all too aware that looks can be deceiving. I'm aware that the episodes themselves are a mixed bag of edited and original broadcast length so I'm prepared for the upcoming disappointment.


On the brighter side, just like Dan and Roseanne Conner I too can now say that I own all of the Barnaby Jones. I too will also relax while watching an episode from season 3.


As a sort of inside joke, I think that somewhere on the box or in the DVD credits on the set that there should be a 'Thank you' to Dan and Roseanne.
 

pegward

Extra
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Points
10
Real Name
Peggy
Brian Himes said:
Got my set yesterday. It's very nicely put together. Sturdy outer box. Nice disc cases. Just looking at things on a surface level, the set looks top notch. Worthy of it's price tag. Sadly, I'm all too aware that looks can be deceiving. I'm aware that the episodes themselves are a mixed bag of edited and original broadcast length so I'm prepared for the upcoming disappointment.


On the brighter side, just like Dan and Roseanne Conner I too can now say that I own all of the Barnaby Jones. I too will also relax while watching an episode from season 3.


As a sort of inside joke, I think that somewhere on the box or in the DVD credits on the set that there should be a 'Thank you' to Dan and Roseanne.
Did you order from VEI and if so how long did it take? I received a notice mine shipped on the 10th but after that the tracking info hasn't changed and I haven't received it yet.
 

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 24, 2004
Messages
1,004
Reaction score
595
Points
1,610
I don't get the reference. Are Dan and Roseanne fans of Barnaby Jones?
 

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
819
Points
1,610
Real Name
Brian
Ron Lee Green said:
I don't get the reference. Are Dan and Roseanne fans of Barnaby Jones?
There's an episode of Roseanne that at one point is a parody of Lives of The Rich and Famous with Robin Leach. Dan and Roseanne are standing near the TV and their VCR and Roseanne say to the camera,


"We own all of the Barnaby Jones tapes."


Then Robin Leach does a voice over saying,


"We then relax by watching an episode from season three." And it shows Dan, Roseanne and Robin sitting on the couch watching TV. I assume they are watching Barnaby Jones.


I believe that this episode was sometime after Roseanne opened the Lunch Box and well before the final season. There were a couple of other mentions of Barnaby Jones on Roseanne but I don't recall them as well as the Robin Leach episode.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ron Lee Green

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
819
Points
1,610
Real Name
Brian
pegward said:
Did you order from VEI and if so how long did it take? I received a notice mine shipped on the 10th but after that the tracking info hasn't changed and I haven't received it yet.
I ordered mine on December 15 and it arrived December 19.


You probably should be filing a claim with the Post Office. Just because the package isn't insured, you have a tracking number and you can file a 'Package Not Received' claim with them and they will "attempt" to locate the package. This time of year, I'm sure they have more than a few packages go missing.
 

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
783
Reaction score
1,114
Points
610
Age
46
Location
Texas
Real Name
Dave
Brian Himes said:
There's an episode of Roseanne that at one point is a parody of Lives of The Rich and Famous with Robin Leach. Dan and Roseanne are standing near the TV and their VCR and Roseanne say to the camera,

"We own all of the Barnaby Jones tapes."

Then Robin Leach does a voice over saying,

"We then relax while watching an episode from season three." And it shows Dan, Roseanne and Robin sitting on the couch watching TV. I assume they are watching Barnaby Jones.

I believe that this episode was sometime after Roseanne opened the Lunch Box and well before the final season. There were a couple of other mentions of Barnaby Jones on Roseanne but I don't recall them as well and the Robin Leach episode.
The Robin Leach appearance is from the tag scene of the 2nd episode of the final season ("Millions from Heaven"). It's the episode where the family realizes they won the lottery.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ron Lee Green

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
819
Points
1,610
Real Name
Brian
Dave Lawrence said:
The Robin Leach appearance is from the tag scene of the 2nd episode of the final season ("Millions from Heaven"). It's the episode where the family realizes they won the lottery.
Wow. It happened that late in the series? I thought it was somewhere in season 5 or 6. Guess I need to rewatch Roseanne. I thought I knew the series better than that.
 

pegward

Extra
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
24
Reaction score
9
Points
10
Real Name
Peggy
Brian Himes said:
I ordered mine on December 15 and it arrived December 19.


You probably should be filing a claim with the Post Office. Just because the package isn't insured, you have a tracking number and you can file a 'Package Not Received' claim with them and they will "attempt" to locate the package. This time of year, I'm sure they have more than a few packages go missing.
Thanks Brian! I guess I will have to call VEI since they won't answer my e-mails. I can't contact the post office because when I look up the tracking number it states the label has been created but that doesn't indicate receipt by the post office. Who knows what happened to it but I am glad to know others are getting their orders.
 

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
369
Reaction score
120
Points
110
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps this is just unrealistic wishful thinking but maybe someone could contact VEI and point out the fact that there are syndicated cut episodes in the Barnaby Jones set. Maybe someone could ask them if they realize incomplete episodes were used, and most importantly if they can correct the set by including the complete episodes? I don't guess it would hurt to ask! I hope someone who knows how to contact VEI will contact them about this and then report their response here on this forum.
Thanks!
Robert
 

GMBurns

Second Unit
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
467
Reaction score
1,098
Points
110
Location
Plainville, CT
Real Name
Glenn
MCCLOUD said:
Perhaps this is just unrealistic wishful thinking but maybe someone could contact VEI and point out the fact that there are syndicated cut episodes in the Barnaby Jones set. Maybe someone could ask them if they realize incomplete episodes were used, and most importantly if they can correct the set by including the complete episodes? I don't guess it would hurt to ask! I hope someone who knows how to contact VEI will contact them about this and then report their response here on this forum.
Thanks!
Robert
I actually had written an email along those lines this weekend and will let you know if I hear back anything that is interesting. I wrote as a fully satisfied customer so I hope my tone will invite a response. I am loving Barnaby Jones every bit as much as I hoped I would. My 16 year old son even invited himself to watch an episode with me this weekend and he really enjoyed it as well.
 

GMBurns

Second Unit
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
467
Reaction score
1,098
Points
110
Location
Plainville, CT
Real Name
Glenn
I did get a response from VEI: what they gave us the consumer is exactly what they were given by CBS. That's pretty much what I figured, but it kinda leaves me scratching my head about CBS's rationale. So far I've watched 10 episodes of season two and it's maybe 50/50 syndicated vs. uncut. That's a very unscientific measurement, by the way. The syndicated versions are not at all difficult to watch, and the video is still better than Cannon, so I am really enjoying it. I wasn't about to get even this much from CBS, so once again, thanks to VEI.
 

JoeDoakes

Cinematographer
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
2,923
Reaction score
1,124
Points
4,110
Real Name
Ray
HonkyTonkMan said:
A few months ago, I wrote a post on this forum regarding my plan on buying a copy of the VEI 45-disc box set release of Barnaby Jones: The Complete Series sometime in early 2016.


I had fully expected to buy this VEI release only because I had thought for certain that at least the vast majority of the Barnaby Jones episodes from seasons 2 through 8 would be presented in their original uncut CBS broadcast versions on this VEI release.


I've found out from a reviewer on Amazon that all 13 of the episodes from Season 1 of Barnaby Jones are presented in their original uncut CBS broadcast versions on this VEI release and that all 13 of those Season 1 episodes have a running length of around 51 minutes each on this VEI release too.


That exact same reviewer on Amazon also stated that most of the Barnaby Jones episodes from seasons 2 through 8 run anywhere from 46 to 48 minutes each on this VEI release.


Now that it appears that such an enormous amount of Barnaby Jones episodes from seasons 2 through 8 on this VEI release are presented in their syndicated versions, I'm now certain that I'll never be buying this VEI release.


I was totally shocked by the news that there appears to be such an astronomical amount of syndicated versions of Barnaby Jones episodes from seasons 2 through 8 that were included on this VEI release.


I cannot and will not support a Barnaby Jones: Complete Series release that appears to have such a large amount of syndicated episodes from seasons 2 through 8.


I'm so furious, enraged, aggravated, irritated and infuriated at CBS for apparently providing such a gigantic amount of syndicated versions of Barnaby Jones episodes from seasons 2 through 8 to VEI.
I understand how you feel, but personally I think that you're making a mistake. It seems to me that this is a marginal release and most of what seems to be missing doesn't affect the core story (the "Act" intros, the next week's episode). Although I do find it surprising that something like this can be issued with no indication that VEI ever considered whether they were getting broadcast versions, it's better than nothing. I plan to wait to the price comes down. Might also be worth it to send a note to VEI to remind them to try for broadcast versions in the future.
 

phenri

Second Unit
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
407
Reaction score
462
Points
110
Real Name
Paul
I understand how you feel, but personally I think that you're making a mistake. It seems to me that this is a marginal release and most of what seems to be missing doesn't affect the core story (the "Act" intros, the next week's episode). Although I do find it surprising that something like this can be issued with no indication that VEI ever considered whether they were getting broadcast versions, it's better than nothing. I plan to wait to the price comes down. Might also be worth it to send a note to VEI to remind them to try for broadcast versions in the future.
I received this set yesterday, and I am thrilled to have it. It is by no means perfect, but the show is as entertaining as I had hoped. From what I have watched, the missing footage is not taking away from the story or my enjoyment of the show. Yes, I would prefer uncut episodes, but this is much better that what CBS was going to give us, which was nothing.

For anyone that is a big fan of the show, like I am, this is a worthy purchase. It is not worth having a fit over because of some missing footage. If that is a deal breaker, just don't buy it.
 

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
369
Reaction score
120
Points
110
Real Name
Robert
GMBurns said:
I did get a response from VEI: what they gave us the consumer is exactly what they were given by CBS. That's pretty much what I figured, but it kinda leaves me scratching my head about CBS's rationale. So far I've watched 10 episodes of season two and it's maybe 50/50 syndicated vs. uncut. That's a very unscientific measurement, by the way. The syndicated versions are not at all difficult to watch, and the video is still better than Cannon, so I am really enjoying it. I wasn't about to get even this much from CBS, so once again, thanks to VEI.
Thanks for the reply! No surprise that it appears that CBS is worthy of the blame once again! I plan on getting Barnaby Jones even though syndicated episodes are used because that is the only way to see the show in the best way possible!
Thanks!
Robert
 

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
369
Reaction score
120
Points
110
Real Name
Robert
I was wondering if someone could provide an approximate breakdown on the percent of syndicated episodes of Barnaby Jones for each Season. Season 2 this percentage syndicated, season 3 this percent syndicated etc. I would just like to know if someone could post this. This is just out of curiosity because regardless I still plan on buying the set! Thanks!

Robert
 

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Messages
969
Reaction score
294
Points
610
Location
Glendale, California
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
MCCLOUD said:
Thanks for the reply! No surprise that it appears that CBS is worthy of the blame once again! I plan on getting Barnaby Jones even though syndicated episodes are used because that is the only way to see the show in the best way possible!
Thanks!
Robert
Well, as much as CBS is worthy of the blame, I think the blame should also lie on VEI. According to VEI, they assumed the material they had licensed was uncut, without any actual knowledge of the contents of their DVD sets. They could have said, "Hey, CBS, do you think you can provide us with complete copies? These aren't complete!"
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ron1973

John Karras

Second Unit
Joined
Jul 10, 2013
Messages
336
Reaction score
294
Points
110
Real Name
Lawrence
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Well, as much as CBS is worthy of the blame, I think the blame should also lie on VEI. According to VEI, they assumed the material they had licensed was uncut, without any actual knowledge of the contents of their DVD sets. They could have said, "Hey, CBS, do you think you can provide us with complete copies? These aren't complete!"
I suspect that VEI was quite aware of exactly what they were getting from CBS and made the decision to go with it anyway. I'm really not sure what else people expected. Barnaby Jones has been floating around with those Worldvision transfers as the available elements for ages. Surely nobody expected that a company like VEI was going to front the cost of remastering such a big series, and if CBS was going to bear the costs they would have been doing it for a release of their own. It obviously didn't sell well enough for CBS to continue.

It's not like these Worldvision transfers should be a surprise. Look at Combat!, Little House On The Prairie, Mod Squad...a mixed bag of 80's tape transfers, some complete, some cut/timesped.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Vahan_Nisanain

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
343,724
Messages
4,688,128
Members
141,019
Latest member
Freakyguy_666