What's new

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here? There is always compression involved. It is just a question of how much and the amount of negative impact. There is also always the issue of what are compression issues vs. anomalies in the source material.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here? There is always compression involved. It is just a question of how much and the amount of negative impact. There is also always the issue of what are compression issues vs. anomalies in the source material.
I revised my reply to state minimal edits and responsible use of compression.

~Ben

Last edited:

Carl:G

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl G
Longtime Barnaby fan here. Add me to the list of those here who were disappointed with the syndicated versions included in the DVD set.
Years ago before there was a DVD set I purchased a 16mm projector and started buying Barnaby Jones episodes on 16mm which were uncut and unedited (along with other TV shows such as The F.B.I., Ironside and others)
I have started to sell my Barnaby Jones 16mm episodes on eBay and wanted to let the community know about them in case there are any fans who have a 16mm projector and would like to purchase them.
In addition, I was thinking of providing a synopsis of episodes I have that are uncut to let others know about the scenes cut out as it is interesting to know what has been cut. Sometimes what was cut doesn't affect the story much but other times if you only saw the syndicated version you might wonder about a jump cut or scene missing.

Here is a link to the two Barnaby episodes I currently have for sale - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...5.m570.l1313&_nkw=barnaby+jones+16mm&_sacat=0

Hope Barnaby fans will be interested in knowing about the cut scenes.

Thanks,
Carl

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
It is indeed a travesty that the Barnaby Jones complete series DVD set contains mostly edited for syndication versions of the episodes, but it is what it is. At this point I don't have confidence that the series will get released on DVD again and have all uncut episodes.

One episode that I would like to see in it's uncut form is "Final Ransom" from season 5. It's an excellent episode and I'd be curious to see the scenes that were deleted on the DVD.

Carl:G

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl G
My auction for two uncut Barnaby episodes on 16mm ends this evening ("Murder once Removed" and "Shadow of Guilt")
Other episodes will be listed over the next few weeks.

Also, I should be able to post a summary of the cut scenes from season 2, ep 21 "Dark Legacy" later this week

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
The episodes are definitely edited and not time compressed. Keep in mind, that it appears that some are complete. It's a mixed bag, this set. On the upside, the picture quality is superior to the Cannon set.

I just borrowed season 2 from a friend and firstly noticed the poor quality of the source they used.

I chose to watch Death Leap to get an idea, and boy did I get one!
It was like the source they used was recorded off TV in the SLP mode!
There were actual tape dropouts @ 2:16 of the first act of DL...YIKES indeed!

I stopped watching it a minute or two later, and came here to see if there were better releases, other than B/R (which I doubt in either case), and got to page 3 of this thread, before I decided I just had to post.

I'll watch the rest of the episode, and maybe skip around to some other discs for some spot-checking to see if there were better episodes, though I found quite a few spots splotches in the the first five or so minutes of this episode.
Even the opening credits of this episode looked pizz-poor.
I'll jump to the last couple of pages of this thread to get a more recent analysis.

Oh well, at least I didn't purchase it blindly.
I don't even want to venture to guess what the Cannon episodes look like, if they're worse than this....

Last edited:

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon
I just borrowed season 2 from a friend and firstly noticed the poor quality of the source they used.

I stopped watching it a minute or two later, and came here to see if there were better releases, other than B/R (which I doubt in either case), and got to page 3 of this thread, before I decided I just had to post.

I'll watch the rest of the episode, and maybe skip around to some other discs for some spot-checking to see if there were better episodes, though I found quite a few spots splotches in the the first five or so minutes of this episode.
Even the opening credits of this episode looked pizz-poor.
I'll jump to the last couple of pages of this thread to get a more recent analysis.

Oh well, at least I didn't purchase it blindly.
I don't even want to venture to guess what the Cannon episodes look like, if they're worse than this....
"Cannon" has a decent quality and I have no complaints. The episodes are complete and uncut, which matters more to me than a pristine picture.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
"Cannon" has a decent quality and I have no complaints. The episodes are complete and uncut, which matters more to me than a pristine picture.
I agree about Cannon, the episodes are complete which is the main important thing. The episodes aren't remastered but the video quality is decent, not bad.

Conversely, the Barnaby Jones DVD's are a travesty with the vast majority of episodes being the edited for syndication versions. The series needs to be re-issued with all complete episodes but at this stage of the game I doubt that it's going to happen.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee

Death Leap does have rather poor video quality, the audio isn't great either but it is the complete episode.

The season 2 DVD of Barnaby Jones is a real mess with 11 complete episodes and 13 edited ones. It's junk but unfortunately it's all that's currently available. Seasons 3 to 8 are even worse with almost every episode being edited. There are a few complete ones but not many.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I noticed @ 12:10 on the Web Of Deceit episode, S3, there is a ever so brief flash of a black screen with the words:

REMOVED MATERIAL
BARNABY JONES
CBS DIGITAL​
that caught my eye.
The first and last lines are in white, the middle in yellow.
That probably coincides with what others have said regarding some or all of the transfers in the VEI release was what they got from CBS.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I noticed that two reviewers at the Internet Movie Database gave a bad review to the Barnaby Jones episode from season six titled "Uninvited Peril", so I decided to take a look at the episode myself on the DVD and see what I think.

It's not really a bad episode at all, I found it to be entertaining, fairly tense and suspenseful, it kept my interest thruout. This is a "Betty" episode, she is the one in the forefront instead of Barnaby or JR. I will agree that a few things which occur during the course of the episode are not really logical and likely would not happen if it were a real life situation, but I try not to take it too seriously as this is a TV show episode that's intended to entertain, so I accept it for what it is. The actress who plays the wife and mother in the episode, Jacqueline Scott, is a crazy psycho woman who goes off the deep end when the episode reaches it's climax.

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I noticed that two reviewers at the Internet Movie Database gave a bad review to the Barnaby Jones episode from season six titled "Uninvited Peril", so I decided to take a look at the episode myself on the DVD and see what I think.

It's not really a bad episode at all, I found it to be entertaining, fairly tense and suspenseful, it kept my interest thruout. This is a "Betty" episode, she is the one in the forefront instead of Barnaby or JR. I will agree that a few things which occur during the course of the episode are not really logical and likely would not happen if it were a real life situation, but I try not to take it too seriously as this is a TV show episode that's intended to entertain, so I accept it for what it is. The actress who plays the wife and mother in the episode, Jacqueline Scott, is a crazy psycho woman who goes off the deep end when the episode reaches it's climax.
Must have been all those years worrying about her brother, Richard Kimble.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
LOL. Jacqueline Scott only appeared in a handful of “The Fugitive” episodes, but they were generally good ones, especially when she got to shoot daggers at Lt Gerard.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've been recently making my way through the Complete Series box, and am presently substantially through season 2. I have been enjoying it and have been pleased that I wasn't too bothered by the cut episodes or lesser picture quality. One thing that has struck me though is just how silly some of action portions are. At one point, Barnaby fires a flare gun at a fleeing speedboat, hits the motor, which explodes and causes the speedboat to sink. In another episode, a villain is trying to kill Barnaby with a high powered rifle from a helicopter. Barnaby fires a double barreled shotgun and the helicopter explodes. In this same episode, a thug tries the old hiding in the back seat with a gun gag on Barnaby. Barnaby takes him on a wild ride, which results in him having his gun taken by Barnaby. When Barnaby stops his car, the thug runs away without his gun. Realism is not a value to me in entertainment, but I do wonder: IS BARNABY JONES THE SILLIESST 70s DETECTIVE?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I've been recently making my way through the Complete Series box, and am presently substantially through season 2. I have been enjoying it and have been pleased that I wasn't too bothered by the cut episodes or lesser picture quality. One thing that has struck me though is just how silly some of action portions are. At one point, Barnaby fires a flare gun at a fleeing speedboat, hits the motor, which explodes and causes the speedboat to sink. In another episode, a villain is trying to kill Barnaby with a high powered rifle from a helicopter. Barnaby fires a double barreled shotgun and the helicopter explodes. In this same episode, a thug tries the old hiding in the back seat with a gun gag on Barnaby. Barnaby takes him on a wild ride, which results in him having his gun taken by Barnaby. When Barnaby stops his car, the thug runs away without his gun. Realism is not a value to me in entertainment, but I do wonder: IS BARNABY JONES THE SILLIESST 70s DETECTIVE?
For the action scenes, Buddy Ebsen's age has to be taken into consideration because I imagine there were limitations with regards to what Ebsen could and couldn't do. Ebsen's age was likely a reason why younger actor Mark Shera was added to the cast in season 5 and it was Shera that usually appeared in the action scenes which were more physically demanding. So I don't think Barnaby Jones was the silliest 1970's detective but due to his age, he was 65 when the series began in 1973, he had some physical limitations.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I loved that when they did the 1993 Beverly Hillbillies movie that Buddy Ebsen made a cameo appearance...as Barnaby Jones!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
For the action scenes, Buddy Ebsen's age has to be taken into consideration because I imagine there were limitations with regards to what Ebsen could and couldn't do. Ebsen's age was likely a reason why younger actor Mark Shera was added to the cast in season 5 and it was Shera that usually appeared in the action scenes which were more physically demanding. So I don't think Barnaby Jones was the silliest 1970's detective but due to his age, he was 65 when the series began in 1973, he had some physical limitations.
When you have a 65 year old detective, back when 65 looked 75, you either bring in a younger assistant or you don't make it an action show. But since they wrote stories where Barnaby has to physically grapple with people sometimes, there's no way it's gonna be realistic - at least not with Buddy Ebsen in the role. Having said that, bringing down helicopters with shotguns and blowing up boats with a flare gun was just standard action TV back then. Gotta get the kids interested somehow.

Funny enough, the brought ol' Buddy into the third and final season of Matt Houston, another action series. I haven't spent a lot of time on those episodes yet, but most of what I've seen has his action limited to firing guns and running a bit (mostly a stunt runner). But then again, the lead was a younger man in great shape and he did the lion's share of the action.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
A bunch of the detective/police shows in the 70s had some kind of gimmick. Barnaby was old, Cannon was fat; Ironside was in a wheelchair; there was even a blind one (Longstreet). They paired young and old a lot (Streets of San Francisco), and unique settings were a big thing (Hawaii Five-O, Caribe, etc.). These things provided something that made the characters different from the others on TV, and gave the audience a reason to tune in week after week.

I don't care if Barnaby Jones was old - it made him more endearing like a beloved grandfather. Pass the milk.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Any time Frank Cannon had to get physical (especially running), I had to do a major suspension of disbelief.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks