1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by younger1968, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I think they were just preserving the natural act breaks from the two hour presentation. With no second teaser or credit sequence, the first part would run a bit longer.

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. A Pop Fan's Dream

Paul
    Have arrived at season 5, disc 6 and it will not play. Badly scratched - first time noticing it even though I own the set for more than 2 years. Have tried BD player, DVD player and PC. Nothing. The episodes in question are not on YouTube.

Emailed Amazon.com and asked would they send me the standalone season 5 as a replacement solution. Told them I realise that the return window is long since closed but asked them to make exception on basis that 1) it'll only cost them $20 and 2) I have placed in excess of 500 orders with them over the last 15 years.

They said no.

Will try VEI and see if they can help but not expecting much......

Flashgear, bmasters9 and Blimpoy06 like this.
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I hope they can-- they didn't do anything when I had the same trouble w/my copy of Petrocelli!

A Pop Fan's Dream likes this.
  4. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    All my interactions with VEI's customer service have been unsatisfactory: incredibly long waits on the phone, clipped and cryptic responses to emails, and never once have they done what it seemed they should do. I even wrote a polite letter one time, but never heard anything.

I genuinely hope you have a better experience, especially seeing as it's Barnaby Jones!

A Pop Fan's Dream likes this.
  5. A Pop Fan's Dream

Paul
    Update!

VEI ignored my email.

I just bought the individual season 5 DVD set from Amazon.com and it arrived today.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Sounds like customer service from VEI has become poor or non existent. Not good.

A few years ago when I bought the complete series DVD of Cannon, 31 disc set, there was a problem with an episode on disc 3 of season 4. I sent an email to VEI and they were very prompt, told me they were aware of the error and they mailed me a replacement disc, I received it in a few days.

I just recently ordered the season 1 DVD of Barnaby Jones, the original release from CBS DVD, am expecting it to arrive in the mail tomorrow. I don't have plans to buy seasons 2-8 because of all the problems with edited episodes.

7. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

I have a plex server as soon as I buy sets I rip them to the plex server that way I know there ok

8. GlennC

GlennC Agent

Glenn
    I have many hundreds of TV DVDs and BluRays and I have never watched a single episode on a player. As soon as I get the disc I rip it to my PC media server and play it from there. Doing that I always ensure the discs are OK. That way it can be many months or even years before I actually get round to watching the episodes.

9. Message #389 of 399 Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Well despite my strong dislike for edits in episodes, I decided to break down and ordered the Barnaby Jones complete series DVD, it arrived in the mail yesterday. I bought the 45 disc set, found it in new/sealed condition on Amazon for $68 and I figured it's a decent enough price for a set that's littered with edited episodes. The edited episodes are going to bother me, knowing that 4 to 5 minutes of scenes are missing from each of these 46 minute, trimmed for syndication versions, but it is what it is. Would be great if this series got reissued with all the problems corrected and every episode uncut, but I think that's unlikely to happen so it comes down to the choice of having this or nothing.

There aren't many positives about this set although it's packaged nicely with the eight seasons being housed in a sturdy cardboard box with a flip open lid. The first season has uncut episodes, season two seems to be a mix with some uncut episodes and some edited. After that, everything else seems to be mostly edited but I did find one season three episode "Poisoned Pigeon", that's uncut and has it's original 50 minute run time.

And since I now have the DVD's, I discovered something that I didn't know before. Part one of the "Deadly Conspiracy" episode has two different versions. The version that's on the Cannon set has an alternate ending and is a stand alone episode with a resolution at the end, while the version included on the Barnaby Jones set has a different/unresolved ending and the story continuing into part two. I didn't know this before until now.

10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    If it were cleaned up, uncut, and remastered, you'd probably be looking at a higher price tag, wouldn't you?

11. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    Perhaps, maybe so. A remaster would be nice but I'd be satisfied with unrestored but otherwise uncut episodes like the Cannon DVD set has. I'd be in for that.

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Or Petrocelli-- unrestored, but very much complete.

Lecagr likes this.
  13. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    The Petrocelli DVD's are awesome, uncut episodes like the Cannon set has. This makes me wonder if maybe unrestored but uncut versions of all Barnaby Jones episodes do also exist but for unknown reason the edited for syndication versions ended up on the DVD's.

14. A Pop Fan's Dream

Paul
    Just watched season 6 episode Final Judgment Part 1 and it's not syndicated - runs for over 50 minutes with Act I, Act II etc.

Blimpoy06 and bmasters9 like this.
  15. Lecagr

Lecagr Supporting Actor

Lee
    The two part episodes of Barnaby Jones appear to be uncut on the DVD's except for "Child of Love, Child of Vengeance", that one seems to be edited. From season 3 forward, most of the regular, standalone episodes are edited and run 46 minutes.

16. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    Except for the replacement of opening title on the TV movie pilot, Night Games. Here is the original...

~Ben

bmasters9 likes this.
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    That is true-- the 1974 Night Games pilot is incomplete on the both-in-one DVD release. The series episodes, though, IINM, are complete.

18. dstrong

dstrong Extra

Damon
    Yesterday I watched the episode "Blind Terror" (Season 2, Episode 1) and noticed something weird. When Barnaby Jones visited the hospital room to visit the injured girl, the video looked reversed. Barnaby's hair was parted on the opposite side of his head and looked really odd. In the next scene when he went to the girl's apartment, his hair was parted on the opposite side, as it should be, and as it always was.

19. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    I've seen that phenomenon before on a syndicated print of THE TIME TUNNEL. During the episode "Kill Two By Two", one whole section of the action was mirror-reversed. It was easy enough to tell as James Darren's character was supposed to have one ankle taped up, and during this scene it was the other ankle. Since the show was remastered for DVD and Blu, the syndicated episode is also fixed.