What's new

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Just checked again, and no trace of the text screen at that point (which occurs at 12:09 on my set). I guess VEI removed it when re-sequencing the episodes for the condensed set. I own both Cannon sets from VEI (bought the 2nd condensed one after knowing about how faulty VEI's discs can be wanting a cheap backup) and there are also quite a few different edits between those sets as well.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just checked again, and no trace of the text screen at that point (which occurs at 12:09 on my set). I guess VEI removed it when re-sequencing the episodes for the condensed set. I own both Cannon sets from VEI (bought the 2nd condensed one after knowing about how faulty VEI's discs can be wanting a cheap backup) and there are also quite a few different edits between those sets as well.

I have only the second version of that Cannon all-in-one (which had the discs coming in a disc wallet; I subsequently put the discs in white envelopes and turned my copy into somewhat of a Mill Creek style).

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I own both Cannon sets from VEI (bought the 2nd condensed one after knowing about how faulty VEI's discs can be wanting a cheap backup) and there are also quite a few different edits between those sets as well.
I wasn't aware of any content difference between the two Cannon sets. Other than the condensed set omits "The Return Of Cannon". Could you elaborate more on the differences?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I wasn't aware of any content difference between the two Cannon sets. Other than the condensed set omits "The Return Of Cannon". Could you elaborate more on the differences?

I know for one thing that the condensed version has more episodes per disc, somewhat like Mill Creek does with their releases.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew

The most notable difference is the inclusion of closing logos on the condensed set, whereas VEI removed all of them from the original sets. Chances are that VEI was trying to hide the old Viacom logos from the later seasons as they are a dead giveaway as to how old the prints are (Early 80s).

There is also a different print of He Who Digs A Grave (Part 2) used on the condensed set which runs roughly 3 minutes shorter than the original set and includes a "Cannon Conclusion" screen that is missing from the original set. The screen is nothing more than the Season 1 opening screen with "Conclusion" added on to it.

Also, several episodes from Seasons 4-5 appear to have had their tapes transferred at the wrong speed most likely due to distortion with the age of the tapes. These episodes run around 52 mins. and have the rather annoying side effect of slowed down audio (lower pitch, slightly garbled sound). These episodes are the same on both sets sadly, but at least one episode (Season 4's "Tomorrow Ends at Noon") has noticeable tape distortion in several spots that has been lazily covered up by VEI on the original set by editing in the beginning of the opening and end credits from different episodes to cover it up. The condensed set does not include these edits however.

I haven't noticed any such ghastly anomalies on the Barnaby set, but I'll report any I find here. Cannon Conclusion.png Cannon tape distortion.png

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The most notable difference is the inclusion of closing logos on the condensed set, whereas VEI removed all of them from the original sets. Chances are that VEI was trying to hide the old Viacom logos from the later seasons as they are a dead giveaway as to how old the prints are (Early 80s).

Why would the Viacom "V of Doom" logo be on the condensed all-in-one, and not on the original?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Why would the Viacom "V of Doom" logo be on the condensed all-in-one, and not on the original?
I'm guessing, and not from any remote experience. It might be because they are putting more episodes per disc that they needed to compile new files for each disc. Whoever made the transfer the first time made different choices than the one that followed for the second set when authoring the discs.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm guessing, and not from any remote experience. It might be because they are putting more episodes per disc that they needed to compile new files for each disc. Whoever made the transfer the first time made different choices than the one that followed for the second set when authoring the discs.

Well, whatever the reason, that makes two releases I have (the other is Shout!'s all-in-one of The Bob Newhart Show) that have the V of Doom on at least one season's worth.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Saturday Nov 17th and Sunday Nov 18th, DECADES channel will be running a BARNABY JONES marathon. Starts on Saturday around 1 or 2 with the Season 3 opener.

I wish Dish could get Decades! I've never seen Barnaby Jones, and I'd like to sample some of it before I fork down the money for that VEI all-in-one that's been known for all the alterations.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I was considering getting the Barnaby Jones DVD's, but from what I understand the episodes are edited so I didn't buy the DVD set.

I do have the Cannon DVD set, the 31 disc set. Part two of The Deadly Conspiracy episode should have been included on the Cannon set, but VEI only put it on the Barnaby Jones set, although if Part two is edited I wouldn't want it anyway.

As far as I know, the Cannon episodes are uncut, the 31 disc set has the pilot movie and also The Return Of Frank Cannon.

A few of the Cannon episodes have minor videotape glitches, nothing too bad though, and on the DVD set I have the audio is recorded at a louder level on the season 2, 3, and 4 episodes, it's almost too loud, I have to turn the volume down when watching those episodes. Seasons 1 and 5 have the audio recorded at a somewhat softer level.

I did notice that some Cannon episodes run a few minutes longer than usual, 52 minutes, but to me the episodes don't appear to be slowed down, although the music during the opening and closing credits of those longer episodes does play at a slower pace. Maybe the episodes were originally made that way and a few just run a little longer, I don't know.

Overall I like the Cannon DVD set, I also have the Petrocelli set which is good also.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
One other thing about the 31 disc Cannon set from VEI, the season two episode "Prisoners" is missing the 30 second opening teaser, but the teaser for this episode is included on the DVD release from CBS.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Maybe the episodes were originally made that way and a few just run a little longer, I don't know.

So basically, you think that the slowed-down end tracks were original from CBS airings of Cannon?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
So basically, you think that the slowed-down end tracks were original from CBS airings of Cannon?

I imagine it is possible but I don't know for sure. When I watch one of the episodes with the 52 minute run time, aside from the theme music having a little slower tempo during the credits, the rest seems natural, the actors voices sound normal, I don't notice anything obvious during the episodes which would indicate the episode is slowed down. Maybe the 52 minute episodes are the correct running time and the 49 minute ones are speeded up, I don't know the answer but it's interesting to talk about.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Speaking of imperfections on Cannon, this one is most egregious:

Does the condensed set from VEI have this anomaly (double-pitched audio) on any episodes?

~Ben

I don't have the condensed set but the audio is definitely speeded up in the link you posted, episode closing credits from MeTV. MeTV speeds up their shows so they can fit in more commercials.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee

There is also a different print of He Who Digs A Grave (Part 2) used on the condensed set which runs roughly 3 minutes shorter than the original set and includes a "Cannon Conclusion" screen that is missing from the original set. The screen is nothing more than the Season 1 opening screen with "Conclusion" added on to it.

Also, several episodes from Seasons 4-5 appear to have had their tapes transferred at the wrong speed most likely due to distortion with the age of the tapes. These episodes run around 52 mins. and have the rather annoying side effect of slowed down audio (lower pitch, slightly garbled sound). These episodes are the same on both sets sadly, but at least one episode (Season 4's "Tomorrow Ends at Noon") has noticeable tape distortion in several spots that has been lazily covered up by VEI on the original set by editing in the beginning of the opening and end credits from different episodes to cover it up. The condensed set does not include these edits however.

You might be right about the Cannon episodes in the 52 minute range being transferred at the wrong/slower speed on the DVD's. I had first thought that these episodes originally just ran a few minutes longer than usual, but it's possible they could be slowed down. Fortunately there aren't too many episodes like this, as you said they're episodes from seasons 4 and 5, I think only a few episodes have the 52 minute run time but I would have to check the DVD's to determine the exact number.

On the 31 disc set, I did notice that the two parter which starts season 3, "He Who Digs A Grave", the first part is 53 minutes and the second part is 49 minutes. Strange.

Comparing the two Cannon sets, the 31 disc set vs. the 20 disc set, the only issue I have with the 31 disc set is that the episodes don't have the closing logos, the closing titles tend to end rather abruptly because the closing logos were cut off. Aside from that, the 31 disc set is the one to have because it also includes the movie "Return Of Frank Cannon", along with the fact that 31 discs means less compression. The 20 disc set doesn't include "Return Of Frank Cannon" and it crams more episodes on to the discs therefore increasing the compression.

I had thought about buying the Barnaby Jones set, but then I found out that the seasons 2 thru 8 episodes are edited/syndicated versions, so I didn't buy it. Thankfully, the DVD's of Cannon have the complete uncut episodes.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
That was originally a two hour episode when aired.

This is true but the DVD has the episode split into two parts. Just seems strange to me that the first part runs four minutes longer than the second part but as far as I know the episode is uncut and complete.

The series has another two hour episode, "The Star" from season 5, this one is not split into two parts on the DVD, it's one continuous episode and runs 99 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks