What's new

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
BarnabyJones_Complete_December.jpg

If you mean the big box that VEI first released, no. Not really overall. The first season is uncut. Then about half of season two. The rest are syndication cuts with the exception of the two part episodes and a Cannon cross-over. They run about 50 minutes. The rest are 46.

Is it the same way with the condensed version (with all discs in one big case)?

Alan Graveen

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
BarnabyJones_Complete_December.jpg

If you mean the big box that VEI first released, no. Not really overall. The first season is uncut. Then about half of season two. The rest are syndication cuts with the exception of the two part episodes and a Cannon cross-over. They run about 50 minutes. The rest are 46.

I emailed VEI twice about the quality if they were going to update the series its terrible season 2 onward and 4 minutes is cut out! they haven't responded to either email I will call next and see what happens very disappointed:(

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I emailed VEI twice about the quality if they were going to update the series its terrible season 2 onward and 4 minutes is cut out! they haven't responded to either email I will call next and see what happens very disappointed:(
I've made my dissatisfaction known on their Facebook page as well. Look, I'll continue to beat the dead horse here. Somebody dropped the ball. The Syndication Bible says that both Network and Syndicated versions are available for the series. Okay, then, if that's the case either CBS just handed them butchered episodes (entirely possible) or VEI cheaped out and asked for edited episodes. With it being a hodge podge of edited and network versions, I'd say CBS dropped the ball. However, VEI would gain a lot of respect by at least giving a disclaimer to the effect that they used the best sources available or whatever.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I was just checking Decades schedule, and it appears that they are doing a Barnaby Jones marathon on the first weekend in May. They are going to be airing the first two seasons (minus one Season 2 episode, "The Secret of the Dunes") and a small handful of Season 3 episodes. They appear to be skipping a handful of Season 3 episodes as well ("The Challenge", "Odd Man Loses", "Mystery Circle" and "Dark Homecoming").

I quickly checked my DVD set to see if there was anything special about those handful of skipped episodes and couldn't see any "external" reason as to why they would be skipped (as in things like longer running time or poor tape elements). I sadly don't get Decades, but maybe somebody could spot check the Season 2/3 episodes that they are airing to see if they are from different tape elements than the VEI release.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I just peeked in on a Decades showing of BARNABY JONES. They're currently running a S2 episode called "Stand-In For Death" and it looks just as bad as the episode on DVD (probably worse, since Decades is a compressed sub-channel).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I just peeked in on a Decades showing of BARNABY JONES. They're currently running a S2 episode called "Stand-In For Death" and it looks just as bad as the episode on DVD (probably worse, since Decades is a compressed sub-channel).

"Compressed sub-channel"-- what is that?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
"Compressed sub-channel"-- what is that?
From Wikipedia:

In broadcasting, digital subchannels are a method of transmitting more than one independent program stream simultaneously from the same digital radio or television station on the same radio frequency channel. This is done by using data compression techniques to reduce the size of each individual program stream, and multiplexing to combine them into a single signal. The practice is sometimes called "multicasting".

Real Name
Paul
I watch an episode of Barnaby Jones every Sunday night.
Up to Season 3: Web Of Deceit.
From the original VEI 45 disc set.

Noticed this interesting blink-and-you'll-miss-it caption tonight.
12 minutes and 9 seconds in.
Just when Barnaby agrees to take the case for Mrs Tatum.
Did anyone else spot it?

32984746_10160551071305089_4146262046310137856_n.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Did anyone else spot it?

I do not have either all-in-one release of Barnaby Jones (neither that one you have, nor the condensed one), so that's the first time I've ever seen anything like that.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

Did anyone else spot it?

I did see a flash of something but I didn't know what it was until now. Interesting.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Looks like this screen isn't in the condensed set. There's an obvious edit at the start of the scene (around 9:06, a fade up from black showing the exterior of Barnaby's office, likely removing the act break screen that was common in QM shows. No trace of the screen there either). What I see at 12:09 on my copy is a cut from Lee Meriwether sitting in Barnaby's office smiling to Don Porter's character sitting in a news room giving a news report about the "murder" being a possible suicide. That scene lasts about 50 seconds then it cuts to Porter's character leaving the news studio by the back alley exit. 13:05 is in the beginning of the scene of Porter's character talking in the parking lot after exiting the studio, no signs of edits there. Episode still clocks in at 46:16 though.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
This is bizarre. My copy is the big first release of BARNABY JONES and as I posted, that frame happens at 13:05, in the scene where Barnaby is agreeing to help the woman, and the counter is reading 13:05. Episode length is 46:16.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Does the screen occur at the scene transition or mid-scene? The short news room scene does seem like the kind of thing that would be cut for syndication (short, superfluous to the whole story, etc.) but since the times match up between sets I'm assuming that the scene is still intact on the original sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks