What's new

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Gordiac

Agent
Real Name
Gordon
Can anyone please verify whether or not there are English subtitles/closed-captioning to the most recent AG set?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I got mine from Amazon picture quality isn’t great like on Hawaii Five 0 or other CBS programs any chance VEI or CBS redoes this set?
The first season should be comparable to the CBS releases. They released it before VEI. I sold my first season VEI without opening it and keep my CBS. How does season one look on the VEI?

Alan Graveen

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
My experience with The Fugitive taught me never to say no. But I will say it is highly unlikely.
I know I have the Fugitive now it is much better then when it was first released.

Some of the episodes in season 3 in BJ are like watching COZI tv or something who do you email to complain or can I call CBS

I hope they will be releasing the other 2 Seasons of Mayberry RFD

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I know I have the Fugitive now it is much better then when it was first released.

Some of the episodes in season 3 in BJ are like watching COZI tv or something who do you email to complain or can I call CBS

I hope they will be releasing the other 2 Seasons of Mayberry RFD
Your best bet would be to go to VEI's Facebook page and complain. I let them politely know I would not be investing in the set until it was corrected.

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
While I would prefer to have remastered 50-minute episodes of Barnaby Jones, VEI was not offered such materials from CBS. Instead, the majority of these episodes are 46:10 syndicated versions. I enjoyed the series as a kid, because I love Buddy Ebsen, and I love crime drama series. I finally bought the non-condensed set around Thanksgiving at a great price.
And, instead of being pissed that most of the BJ episodes are missing 4 minutes of programming, I try to remember that IF any local channel ran it today, it would be cut to 40 minutes--so I am getting 6 minutes more than Cozi, Me-TV, Antenna or Decades would provide.

Alan Graveen

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
While I would prefer to have remastered 50-minute episodes of Barnaby Jones, VEI was not offered such materials from CBS. Instead, the majority of these episodes are 46:10 syndicated versions. I enjoyed the series as a kid, because I love Buddy Ebsen, and I love crime drama series. I finally bought the non-condensed set around Thanksgiving at a great price.
And, instead of being pissed that most of the BJ episodes are missing 4 minutes of programming, I try to remember that IF any local channel ran it today, it would be cut to 40 minutes--so I am getting 6 minutes more than Cozi, Me-TV, Antenna or Decades would provide.
Maybe if enough people complain they will fix the set?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Do we know that for sure? As I've pointed out previously, the Syndication Bible says syndication AND network versions are available. I dare say VEI could have obtained the proper episodes had they have wanted to. This seems to be more of a case of cheaping out and hoping no one noticed.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Do we know that for sure? As I've pointed out previously, the Syndication Bible says syndication AND network versions are available. I dare say VEI could have obtained the proper episodes had they have wanted to. This seems to be more of a case of cheaping out and hoping no one noticed.

While that is true, what does "Library at Lab Cost" means? Most other shows referenced in the syndication bible list some type of tape form under version, but Barnaby Jones has this other reference. Just the sound of it "Library at Lab Cost" doesn't sound good, especially given that CBS is not known to be cheap to deal with, and i suspect this notation has something to do with what VEI had access to and could afford.

mayberry66guy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
While that is true, what does "Library at Lab Cost" means? Most other shows referenced in the syndication bible list some type of tape form under version, but Barnaby Jones has this other reference. Just the sound of it "Library at Lab Cost" doesn't sound good, especially given that CBS is not known to be cheap to deal with, and i suspect this notation has something to do with what VEI had access to and could afford.

Agreed. Tried to deal with them a long time ago on a project I was assisting with, and they were most uncooperative, and came up with crazy prices. So, the project died.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
And that's a valid point as well. It would have gone quite a ways for the sake of "good graces" if they would have added a disclaimer that those were the best sources available or something to that effect. It feels like they just threw edited episodes on there and hoped for the best.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
And that's a valid point as well. It would have gone quite a ways for the sake of "good graces" if they would have added a disclaimer that those were the best sources available or something to that effect. It feels like they just threw edited episodes on there and hoped for the best.

My own theory on Barnaby Jones is that it was impacted by the prior Hotel release. When Hotel was released it contained complete episodes but with many video issues, causing many complaints. Then Barnaby Jones was interestingly delayed. I think its possible they pulled back, re-evaluated, and came to the conclusion it was better to include the versions with the best quality, whether that be uncut or syndicated. And I believe the BJ video was considered better overall than Hotel.

I recall reading about the German Gunsmoke DVD releases. My recollection is that they first released uncut episodes that included German dubbing from syndicated versions with sections in English inserted to complete the episodes, but they received complaints for the changing language across scenes when listening to the German track. Then, they released just the cut version that matched the German dubbing, but they again received compliants for being syndaicated episodes. Finally, they went back to the complete episodes with the combo German and English within the German track.

In the end, it is a damned if you do and damned if you don't with a compromised product because you can't please everyone and will get complaints either way.

Rickdrat

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Just wondering if anyone here can comment on the image quality of the new "compressed" version versus the original box set. I can live with cut down, syndication versions, but if there are additional compression artifacts introduced to already questionable master sources, that would be a deal breaker for me.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
In the end, it is a damned if you do and damned if you don't with a compromised product because you can't please everyone and will get complaints either way.

That's right-- some will complain about the packaging, others about the menus, others about the picture quality, and some will even complain about the show itself.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That's right-- some will complain about the packaging, others about the menus, others about the picture quality, and some will even complain about the show itself.

My main issue with VEI releases (primarily since 2012), is the crappy quality control of the actual physical discs.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
so are the episodes on the older set uncut ?
BarnabyJones_Complete_December.jpg

If you mean the big box that VEI first released, no. Not really overall. The first season is uncut. Then about half of season two. The rest are syndication cuts with the exception of the two part episodes and a Cannon cross-over. They run about 50 minutes. The rest are 46.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks