1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnaby Jones - The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by younger1968, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    I'm still making my way thru the Barnaby Jones set. Up to Season 4 now. "Beware The Dog" appears complete at 48 minutes and it includes the on screen act breaks. Doesn't have the video tape appearance of other episodes. It may be a PAL version. The opening credits seemed fast and the dialog too is fast and off pitch.

Carabimero likes this.
  2. Message #282 of 368 Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

3. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    I'll drink to that
    ;)

Attached Files:

Tony Bensley, Flashgear and Ron1973 like this.
  4. classictvfan40

classictvfan40 Second Unit

Ron
    This is the set I will be getting. Thanks for the info!

5. classictvfan40

classictvfan40 Second Unit

Ron
    Amazon doesn't have it yet for sell but has the original limited edition one for $70 dollars. I see the price continues to drop on that one.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. mattfire64

mattfire64 Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    It looks like a page for the condensed release has been created on Amazon, but it isn't listed for sale on there yet. The Amazon page lists the disc count for this set as 30, which is 15 discs less than the original set. I'll also be interested to see if VEI keeps any closing logos on this set like what happened when they condensed Cannon down into a smaller set.

Between both this newer condensed Barnaby Jones set and the impending release of Viper, it's looking like a VEI Christmas for me. :D

Here's the link to the "preemptive" Amazon listing:
    https://www.amazon.com/Barnaby-Complete-Collection-Seasons-Episodes/dp/B077CYWQJ8/

bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.
  7. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Not an important show for me so I'll be grabbing this set, cut episodes and all.

Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  8. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Unless there is some miraculous remastering, I won't need this newer "scrunched" set. I'm happy with the eight season volumes that came with the prior set - they fit nicely on my shelf outside of the outer box.

9. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Why is the box always cooler looking for the version of the series that comes out after the release I bought?

Tony Bensley, Oakvale and Flashgear like this.
  10. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I'll find it aftermarket eventually. I know I've said this before, but I don't want it to go down as a sale for VEI. The Syndication Bible clearly says that "Syndication or Network" is available for the series; it seems to me that VEI cheaped out and went for syndicated episodes. If not, I really believe they should've put a disclaimer saying the elements used were all that CBS would give them.

11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    So, basically, you're saying that if it's not the full episode, then you need to be truthful and say so, and clearly explain why, with no deception? That's how I take what you're saying-- not to pull a fast one and claim full episodes and then not have them be full.

Tony Bensley and Flashgear like this.
  12. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    This sort of information is discovered fairly quickly anyways, by people who are very vocal about it and post online their findings.

13. Ron1973

That's what I was saying. Several people have pointed it out to them on Facebook (and probably other forums like ours as well), and the comments go unheeded. If syndicated episodes was all CBS would give them, I can understand and give them their due. I could also understand if tape elements weren't available for network versions; I don't expect VEI to go back and remaster 35mm elements when they're probably on a budget. Syndication Bible clearly says the network versions are available. 5 or 6 years ago, somebody had uploaded 50 minute length episodes to YouTube that had aired on some cable channel, so the complete versions are out there.

14. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I've never understood why the Cannon episode that is part one of the Barnaby Jones premiere isn't included in this set, and vice-versa.

15. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    It is. The Barnaby Jones set has the full original two-part episode (uncut, as opposed to most of the episodes on the set.) The Cannon set has the one-part re-edit used in syndication. It’s actually an interesting opportunity to compare them and to see how the two-part show was cut down.

16. mattfire64

mattfire64 Stunt Coordinator

Matthew
    So I went ahead and bought the new condensed set directly from VEI since they are holding an early "Black Friday" sale which features free shipping on any order above $24. I own pretty much every other Quinn Martin series on DVD, so getting Barnaby Jones is pretty much a no-brainer for me. :D

If I find anything interesting to report on this new condensed set, I'll report my findings here.

17. mayberry66guy

mayberry66guy Stunt Coordinator

Phil
    I also took advantage of the VEI Black Friday sale to order Barnaby Jones. Loved it, and all the detective shows as a kid. I ordered the larger set for $69 (cheaper than Amazon or DeepDiscount). I was simply afraid of the condensed set that goes from 45 discs to 30 discs--that just seemed like a lot of compression. I did order the Cannon compressed set for $28, but VEI no longer offers the larger set, and Amazon lists it at more than $100 now.

Tony Bensley and bmasters9 like this.
  18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    6 or 7 episodes per disc-- no wonder! I wouldn't get that one either.

mayberry66guy likes this.
  19. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

People give way more credit to the studios and companies that are involved in this business than they deserve. That the parties involved have the knowledge and the brains to first ask for complete and uncut episodes, that the studios even know what they have and which transfers are complete or not. Which is why Sony had complete remastered Police Story tapes bulked while keeping the cut tapes. Go with this basic premise: the majority of these people are morons. When something does come out properly, its most likely due to a fluke rather than a person knowing what the hell they are doing.

20. Ron1973

And I'm sure you are right. What has tickled me to no end is on S4 of The Beverly Hillbillies, they cut out several pieces of incidental background music. Yet in one episode, they left in "Frankie and Johnny" which was played as incidental music, a piece I'm sure would be harder to clear than some little piece of incidental music that means nothing.

Tony Bensley and Carabimero like this.