Bargain Hunting - Pioneer, H/K, Denon, or Yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jon.P.VT, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Jon.P.VT

Jon.P.VT Auditioning

I'm in the market for a new receiver and am looking to keep the price down as much as I can, while still making sure I have a warranty.

I think I've narrowed it down to these:
    1. Denon AVR-2803
    2. H/K AVR 325/525
    3. Pioneer VSX-43/45TX (though it looks like finding the 45 is getting difficult)
    4. Yamaha RX-V1300 or the new RX-V1400[/list=1]
      I think these are all in the neighborhood of $800 MSRP, and ideally I'd like to spend $600 or less. I (sadly) missed out on OneCall's deals on the two H/Ks, but they do have refurbed 525s for around $550 if I recall.

I'm going to use the receiver for music (almost all kinds) and DVDs mainly, probably a good bit of both. I tried to audition some of these at a Tweeter to narrow my list down, but their setup and selection left a little to be desired. I listened to the 2803, which sounded fairly neutral to me, after I helped the salesman identify that the center channel wasn't plugged in. Unfortunately, I couldn't listen to the RX-V1300, but the 2300 I got to hear sounded very detailed (I played the beginning of Gladiator through a 6.1 set of Mirage speakers). Tweeter didn't have the Pioneers set up as far as I could see. I haven't been able to find anyplace to demo the H/Ks either.

I guess my decision is going to come down to which one I can get for the best price. I'm most interested in any opinions or help anyone could give me with finding an authorized online dealer for any of these receivers. I can't bring myself to pay MSRP just because the salesman won't work with me at all. If I can be sure I'm getting a good product and warranty, a refurbished model would be OK.

I'd also entertain any alternatives if anyone has a compelling reason I should consider a different receiver.

Whew, that was a long first post.

Edit: To clarify, I can find the authorized dealers just fine. My problem is finding a price better than MSRP and determining if going refurbished is too risky.

2. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

3. Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden Extra

not sure if they still have them but I got a 43tx from soundpros.com for $495 + shipping

4. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

If I were you I would also consider the Sony DA4ES. It was available for around $600 but is getting hard to find now.

Mark

5. Jon.P.VT

Jon.P.VT Auditioning

I've heard nothing but good things about the Sony 4ES. The problem is that I'm becoming somewhat wary of giving Sony any of my money. I had a PS2 break on me a year or two ago and my current receiver is a Sony and quite a piece of garbage.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

RE: 45TX at Ecost. I'm kind of concerned about the 90 day warranty on a refurbished model. The price is really tempting though.

I just checked OneCall and found the HK AVR-525 refurbished for $545.87 shipped. The big advantage is that HK gives the full 2 year warranty.

Jon

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

If I was on that market I would only consider the Denon and the HK.They would give the best performance/feauters for the buck in this group IMO.