Baretta

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by HenryDuBrow, Apr 13, 2005.

1. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    How well did this release do ? Anyone heard anything new on this series, I'm really getting into Season 1 and would like to have more. I don't think the set looks or sounds as bad as reputed, Universal ought to continue with it, besides, I want to hear the Sammy Davis Jr. sung theme !

2. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

This is a great series and I remember it fondly from its original run. I too wish Universal would get the remaining seasons out. I've been through the first season more than once and am hungry for more. I'm not sure why the second season hasn't been forthcoming. Were sales of the first set really that poor, or was Universal hesitant to commit to the entire series due to fears that sales might tank if Robert Blake was found guilty? I'm hoping it's the latter and that they can get on with things now that his trial is over. I can't believe that sales of Baretta would be any worse than Starsky and Hutch which is obviously doing well; it looks like they're going to release the entire series.

I don't recall reading any reviews for the first season set. Did they really say that the audio/video was bad? I didn't find anything wrong with either one, although there is a momentary audio dropout in one of the episodes (lasts maybe 2-3 seconds). My major disappointment with the set is that for many of the episodes, Universal felt the need to edit out the fade to black at each commercial break so that they play more like a movie than a TV show. They may have even cut more than just the fade out/in. When watching the edited episodes, I've tried to figure out where the commercial breaks should be by listening for telltale music cues and have been unable to do so.

3. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I think it's likely they released this because Blake was in the news and the show was always mentioned. They were trying to tie a DVD release into the press surrounding the murder of his wife.

Gord

4. Dan*T

Dan*T Supporting Actor

It's pretty bad when they have to capitalize on someone's
    murder to justify a DVD release.

5. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Even worse when they abandon the show after 13 episodes like Universal did with this one.

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'd look forward to buying the second season (and more) if Universal ever decides to continue.
    i used to love the show as a kid, and thought it still held up pretty well.

and i agree, it was very crass & tacky the way they released the first season.

7. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Well, Robert Blake was found non guilty just as O.J. Simpson was. Whether you think they really killed anyone, ask yourself: Is it fair that their TV work rarely gets seen anymore because of the controversy of their trials and tribulations?

I don't care for O.J., but I'm a big fan of Saturday Night Live. NBC airs reruns from the 1970s, 80s, and 90s every Sunday morning. Will they ever air the O.J. Simpson show from the 1977-78 season again? Have they aired it recent years? I doubt it, simply because they are trying to be "politcally correct" even if it is 10 years after the murder trial.