Barenboim Beethoven - No Bass

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Genovese, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I picked up the Barenboim Beethoven 9th on DVD-A and it has demonstrated some weird behavior. When using the DVD-A layer running through both a Pioneer DV-45A and a JVC 600 there is nothing coming out of the subwoofer. I have speakers set to small, and subwoofer set to "Yes" on both players. When I listen on a DVD only player, bass management is handled properly. Any ideas as to what's going on here? It would appear that the bass management is not working properly on either of these players.

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Some of the SACD and DVD-A are not recording a separate .1 LFE channel. They are just lumping all the bass into the main 5 channels. This means you won't get any bass if you have small speakers. I am getting a Outlaw ICBM to take care of this. It is capable of routing all the bass to the subwoofer using only analog filtering.

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Yeah, I've ordered one too. I thought the DVD-A players I had tried actually did bass management, but apparently only for digital sources. Strange, to say the least.