Bare wire speaker connections v. Banana plugs, etc.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thad_C, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

A dealer I spoke with suggested that I forego entirely the use of banana clips in favor of connecting my speakers with the bare speaker wire. I believe his theory is that there is no audio benefit to using the intermediate connection. I could foresee a problem if a stray wire strand somehow crossed, but other than that, I can't imagine that this would be problematic. Any thoughts?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Terminations are mainly for security and convienience. True, you are adding a connection to a connection, but really, can you hear it?

I have bare wire, with just the tip soldered to keep strays at bay. But I'll be making some DIY's to look good, and I'll put spades on.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Bare speaker wire IS the best, but because it reduces the number of possible loose connections.

Try this: go to this dealer with a handfull (5) of 1 foot, 12 ga speaker wires. Then point him to a receiver (not an amp) and ask him to show you how to wire them up to the binding posts. (Hey, make it real: he cannot just turn the receiver around, but he has to crawl behind a rack in a narrow, un-lit space with all the other connections in place and connect the speaker wires).

Fourty minutes later, with his fingers bloody from being poked with copper strands, needle-nose plyers & tweezers underfoot, other interconnects removed to make room, he might admit that he was wrong and that the convience of banana plugs make them worth their weight in gold.

The "forest" of binding posts on most receivers makes it very hard to wire with bare wires. And the side-holes barely contain 12 ga. The xxx-308 dual banana plugs and xxx-306 plugs from Radio Shack are a godsend.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Which is why I keep enough slack on everything to be able to pull the rec competely out of the rack and set it on the floor.

Learned my lesson.