What's new

Barbie (2023) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I had guessed that the 2001 teaser was just a teaser. But since Helen Mirren is actually listed as being The Narrator in the movie, maybe it is an actual scene that will stay in the final cut. I guess we'll find out in July.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I had guessed that the 2001 teaser was just a teaser. But since Helen Mirren is actually listed as being The Narrator in the movie, maybe it is an actual scene that will stay in the final cut. I guess we'll find out in Jul.

The funny thing to me was, they had me with the 2001 trailer. I thought "Holy cow, I am going to see a Barbie movie!"

On the second trailer, they lost me. I still will likely watch it at some point, a lot of great talent involved, but nothing in the second trailer made this look appealing to me. That's likely intentional as I am sure that second trailer was meant to appeal to people that the 2001 trailer did not appeal to.

I think the thing about a Barbie movie is, you have to come up with a good story to tell because a plastic doll really does not provide you with any story. So we see in both trailers and the promotional material they are using the plastic doll to make some kind of social statement, on how women and girls see themselves in the world...based somewhat on the toys developed and sold to them over time and how times have changed. This could be good, it could be one note. We'll have to see which way it goes but at this stage I likely will pass on seeing this in a theater and see what people say about it when it is released. Hopefully, it is biting satire but if it is that, it likely will anger a bunch of people that wanted a plastic doll comedy.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm guessing this would work better for folks who know the Barbie history and lore. For example, my wife, who pointed out the raised ankle after taking off the high heels (at the trailer's start) is correct (apparently, the toy Barb's foot couldn't pivot until much later).

Interesting that you should say that. I came across this on my newsfeed:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
rcRWzlQ.jpeg

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I really didn't know much about this movie until I started reading the last page of this thread. I was preparing to dig a little deeper in to this thread until I watched the "main trailer" (above), and as soon as I saw Will Ferrell (and realizing it was a major role) I stopped the trailer.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize there was such an aversion to Will Ferrell films (or, at least, more than I expected)! Though I can understand why.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Will's either, his presence doesn't automatically turn me away, though. I'm willing to give a movie that has Will the benefit of the doubt before seeing it. For example, I wasn't a fan of Old School or Wedding Crashers, but I liked Blades of Glory! Go figure!

:)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This film was mentioned in the obituary for songwriter Cynthia Weil, who was half of one of the most famous songwriting duos in history (with her husband Barry Mann). They co-wrote Mama Cass’ hit “Make Your Own Kind of Music” which was featured in the trailer. The article cited it as an example of the staying power of Weil’s songs. (It was also heavily featured in the show Lost about 15 years ago.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks