What's new

Barbet Schroeder's LA VALLEE available from the UK (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just a heads up that LA VALLEE has been released by BFI and is apparently not region locked. It's available at Amazon.co.uk under THE VALLEY.

• Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
  • Director approved High Definition transfer from the original negative
  • Original and digitally restored optional endings (Blu-ray only)
  • Three ethnographic documentary shorts directed by Barbet Shroeder: Le cochon aux patates douces (1971, 8 mins) about the Mapuga tribe s feast of pigs with sweet potatoes; Maquillages (1971, 12 mins) which examines the different types of ceremonial make-up worn by the Mapuga tribe; Sing Sing (1971, 5 mins) on the ceremony of Sing Sing practised by Papua New Guinea s tribes
  • Theatrical trailers for Shroeder's The Valley, More (1969) and Maîtresse (1974)
  • Fully illustrated booklet with rare on-set photographs, newly commissioned essays and director interview
For 14£ shipped, the pricing isn't too bad. I doubt we'll get this from Image any time soon, and certainly not with any extras.

The DVD from Home Vision that was released some time ago didn't have a menu option for subtitles, so it's no longer playable on my Panasonic.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
As a follow up, I screened this last night and here are my thoughts on the transfer. Overall detail is very good, there weren't any signs of excessive DNR and the image is almost completely clean save for a few minor specs here and there. Grain is evident but natural looking. Color is well saturated, but not overly hyped. Parts seemed a little darker than I recall from the DVD. Sound is serviceable, but limitations of the source are evident here and there, as are some noise reduction artifacts (at least to my ear).

The BR is multiregion, and has the option of two endings. The packaging is pretty nice with the inclusion of a decent booklet. I got this along with Institute Benjamenta, and from these examples I wouldn't hesitate to buy more BFI produced product.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I bought this for my wife for her birthday, as she has always loved Pink Floyd's soundtrack. I had a look the other day and I was impressed with the picture quality. The sound of course isn't up to the quality of the 'Obscured by Clouds' soundtrack CD....

I would agree with Jeff's comments above. It's a nice package from BFI. I'm looking forward to watching the film. The acting and dialogue appear to be a bit stilted from the bits I've seen, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
What is interesting for Floyd fans is how different the soundtrack is from the album versions. The film is interesting in its own right, and not for the squeamish for a few minutes. I'd like to see More get released as well if it can come in a package like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks