"Barber of Siberia" ever come to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rbirk, Dec 11, 2003.

1. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I have been waiting to see "Barber of Siberia" since I read about it beeing filmed in 97 or 98. It was never released in US even in theaters as far as I know. Anyone know if this movie with Julia Ormond and Richard Harris will ever be released here? Does any studio even acquired any rights to it?

Ron

2. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
  3. Andrew_K

Andrew_K Stunt Coordinator

French DVD has also English version with forced French subtitles.

The only problem is that English version of this movie contains many dialogs in Russian.

If you don't know Russian then the best way is to buy RUSCICO Russian version of this movie that has English (and many other languages) subtitles and it is available in NTSC.

You can buy it here:

http://www.rbcmp3.com/store/product....1439&sku=31155

More information about RUSCICO version is here:

http://www.ruscico.com/detail_eng.php?link=187

4. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

The Ruscico version seems to be an option. The German is not an option as it does not seem to contain the original language.

5. Pascal A

Pascal A Second Unit

I have the Ruscico NTSC version (R0) of The Barber of Siberia and can definitely recommend it. It's anamorphic (2.35:1) and has 12 subtitle languages (including English). Unlike the DVD for An Unfinished Piece for a Player Piano though, there aren't three language menu options (where you initially choose a language "flag" and the menus display in that language), so you'll have to contend with Russian menus, but all the "side" dialogues are translated in the film. The other down side is that the extras, which includes an interview with Mikhalkov aren't subtitled.