What's new

BARBAROSA: Full-frame only (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Answering my own question in a different thread, I went over to the Virgin Megastore today and checked out BARBAROSA, which had just arrived. It's a very good, fable-like Western from 1982, with Willie Nelson and Gary Busey, and directed by Fred Schepisi.

Most if not all of Schepisi's films have an OAR of 2:35:1 to one, and BARBAROSA is no exception. Well, except on this Artisan disc, which is full-frame ONLY, and thus utterly useless. It's curious that none of the online e-tailers I visited had this information, as if Artisan had not relayed it to them (I hope no one bought it sight unseen). Even more curious is the disclaimer on the back, which seems to suggest that though the disc has been formatted to "fit your screen," the 1.33 AR is in fact correct. Balderdash and poppycock, so far as I know.

Anyway, no sale, and unworthy of review. Good movie. Too bad.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This is an open matte DVD which is why Artisan puts on the back cover "presented in it's original 1.33:1 ratio in which the film was shot". I'm on the fence whether to purchase it or not.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
This is an open matte DVD which is why Artisan puts on the back cover "presented in it's original 1.33:1 ratio in which the film was shot". I'm on the fence whether to purchase it or not.
Saw this one theatrically and I'm pretty certain it was 'scope (Panavision) 2.35, not 1.85.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
The Internet Movie Database, which admittedly has been wrong in the past, lists this movie as 2.35:1 Panavision. If this film is depicted on DVD in "full screen", then it most assuredly is a pan'n'scan job, not open matte.

It's a shame, because I actually like the film quite a bit. No sale for me.

Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks