What's new

Barbarian (2022)

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Title: Barbarian

Tagline: Some stay for a night. Some stay for a week. Some never leave.

Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller

Director: Zach Cregger

Cast: Georgina Campbell, Bill Skarsgård, Justin Long, Matthew Patrick Davis, Richard Brake, Kurt Braunohler, Jaymes Butler, Sophie Sörensen, Rachel Fowler, J.R. Esposito, Kate Nichols, Kate Bosworth, Brooke Dillman, Sara Paxton, Will Greenberg, Derek Morse, Trevor Van Uden, Zach Cregger, Devina Vassileva, Kalina Stancheva, Julian Stanishkov

Release: 2022-09-08

Runtime: 102

Plot: In town for a job interview, a young woman arrives at her Airbnb late at night only to find that it has been mistakenly double-booked and a strange man is already staying there. Against her better judgement, she decides to stay the night anyway, but soon discovers that there is much more to be afraid of in the house than the other house guest.

BARBARIAN (2022) - Two young people accidentally rent the same B&B. Tess (Georgina Campbell) and Keith (Bill Skarsgard) decide to stay for the night and sort it out later. A skeezy actor AJ (Justin Long) also figures in the mix.

Writer-Director Zach Creeger amps up the dread right from the start with even the most ordinary happenings being treated as sinister. A daytime meeting at a cafe is shot and scored like an axe murder is about to happen. When the first act finally reaches its climax its not the shocker it should be because the audience has been strung along too much. It's indicative of Creeger's lack of a sense of pace and moderation ( (same with much of Anna Drubich's soundtrack). Instead of lulling the viewer, it's more like: Finally! SOMEthing happened to justify all the caterwauling.

Many horror films rely on the 'Idiot plot' where only a fool would remain in the situation that is putting them in peril. Of course, without said idiots, many of the movies would be over by half-time. Creeger certainly has them here. On the positive side of the ledger, Campbell and Skarsgard do play off well with one another and most of the cast is similarly decent including that of a neighborhood drifter named Andre (Jaymes Butler). There are also a couple of amusing real estate barbs. Creeger does a couple of interesting structural moves, but they only temporarily divert from the deficiencies.

Unfortunately, BARBARIAN isn't just content with idiocy, but, also piles on the most Absurd of plots - even for a horror flick. Even the mildest scrutiny takes apart the premise's logic. As things escalate so does the Absurdity. A movie can survive idiots and absurdity - but, not both. At least not in the case of BARBARIAN.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m still gonna check it out. Looks interesting. 92% on RT too.

CRITICS CONSENSUS​

Smart, darkly humorous, and above all scary, Barbarian offers a chilling and consistently unpredictable thrill ride for horror fans.Read critic reviews

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph

Critics grade inflation is real - and Barbarian is proof of that. Folks have looked into it, and it's true - grades on sites like Rotten Tomatoes have gone up over the years as more and more critics have become more and more lenient. That BARBARIAN has a 92 whereas a Best Picture nominee that was on tons of Top 10 lists and won awards all over the place like THE SIXTH SENSE has an 86 is proof of that.
Knock off at least 10 to 20 points when comparing

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

CRITICS CONSENSUS​

Smart, darkly humorous, and above all scary, Barbarian offers a chilling and consistently unpredictable thrill ride for horror fans.Read critic reviews
It's sick and awesome. If that interests you, check it out. :)

There's a bias among critics against horror movies so I've adopted the view that any horror picture that gets over 50% on RT catches my interest and anything over 70% is likely guaranteed to be good. So for a horror movie to have a 92% is like if a drama had a 10,000,000%.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
It's sick and awesome. If that interests you, check it out. :)

There's a bias among critics against horror movies so I've adopted the view that any horror picture that gets over 50% on RT catches my interest and anything over 70% is likely guaranteed to be good. So for a horror movie to have a 92% is like if a drama had a 10,000,000%.
Were that only true.

Grade inflation also applies to horror, scifi and superhero films.
See BARBARIAN if it hits your fancy but take the 92 with a titanic iceberg sized grain of salt. You ain't getting The Godfather or Chinatown here.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In the end it’s only one persons opinion of course. But with a 92% favorable rating for a horror film, I think that’s a good indicator. And even knocking off 10-20 points is still impressive.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"Barbarian" was watchable but it comes with major plot flaws - at least based on 1 screening. Maybe there are some explanations for these that I missed.

I can't figure out how
generations of in-breeding give a person super-human strength, though.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
"Barbarian" was watchable but it comes with major plot flaws - at least based on 1 screening. Maybe there are some explanations for these that I missed.

I can't figure out how
generations of in-breeding give a person super-human strength, though.
That's the only plot flaw you saw!? The way the movie is structured opens up a whole bunch of plot holes:

1. Who rented the house to 2 people? The realtor says it's been 2 weeks.
IF it's been 2 weeks nobody has noticed that 2 people are missing and reported it?
Who sold the house in the first place?
Who is the home inspector that didn't notice the whole underground lair?
For forty years, no city assessor hasn't noticed the same, either?
etc etc

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That was the least of 'em to me! And, i have more.............

I thought it was the worst because
it takes the movie into a place of actual fantasy even though it never posited itself as anything other than reality-based until that point.

We go from a movie that seems to be about a serial killer sort to one about a superhuman inbred monster. Shouldn't years of inbreeding make you MORE vulnerable, not less???

Just felt like too much of a stretch.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was the worst because
it takes the movie into a place of actual fantasy even though it never posited itself as anything other than reality-based until that point.

We go from a movie that seems to be about a serial killer sort to one about a superhuman inbred monster. Shouldn't years of inbreeding make you MORE vulnerable, not less???

Just felt like too much of a stretch.
To each their own but a similar argument could be made about Jason and Michael Myers in Friday The 13th and Halloween where the only fantasy or supernatural element is their ability to withstand things that would likely kill anyone else or at least make them say "Ow!". :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
To each their own but a similar argument could be made about Jason and Michael Myers in Friday The 13th and Halloween where the only fantasy or supernatural element is their ability to withstand things that would likely kill anyone else or at least make them say "Ow!". :)

True. I just thought this one felt more like it wanted a grounding in reality than those.

Fair or not, the nature of the character under discussion bugged me! :D

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks