What's new

Barbara Stanwyck Appreciation & DVD Requests (1 Viewer)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Nice to be back and thanks for the nice welcome Serena and Corey:) I have been reading your numerous and equally enthusiastic posts with the greatest interest! It's uncanny the way we seem to have the same favorite stars and films.

As a fan of both Miss Stanwyck and Miss Wyman, I enjoy both versions of So Big, but my preference tends to go to the 1953 version somehow. Of course, the earlier version is just as powerful despite its shorter running time, but I feel the ensemble acting is superior in the 53 remake - Jane Wyman and Sterling Hayden are very good together. Why am I debating? I would buy both anyway ;)

If Fox ever decides to showcase Barbara Stanwyck, I hope they will remember Banjo on My Knee (36) and This Is My Affair (37, with Robert Taylor). Both films are memorable for many reasons, one of which being that Miss Stanwyck sings in her own voice in both, dueting with a young Tony Martin in the former and introducing "I Hear a Waltz" in the latter. (Which reminds me, I hope we will see at least one of Tony Martin's musicals on DVD this year as it marks his 95th birthday!).

One of my guilty pleasures is Escape to Burma (55), fake jungles and all - I know there is a DVD release but I have always wondered about the picture quality. Can anyone comment? My TV-taped copy could use a facelift. ;)

Corey

Screenwriter

Barbara Stanwyck singing with Tony Martin??? I've got to see this. To be turning 95, Tony Martin looks incredibly good for his age. He really has some good genes. Basically every studio could make a Stanwyck collection--Fox, Sony, and Paramount.

Corey

Screenwriter
Is a boxset really coming for Barbara? I feel if Garbo and Kate Hepburn got one, then Barbara Stanwyck should definately get one too. I'm assuming they're gonna wait till next year for Bette Davis Vol 3 for her centennial.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
My own wants regarding "Missy" (as her close friends called her) are The Furies, which is owned by Paramount, and There's Always Tomorrow, which was her last teaming with Fred MacMurray and also has another of my favorites, the vastly underrated Joan Bennett. This film is owned by Universal- maybe they can do a Douglas Sirk DVD set!

Egbert Souse

Agent
Real Name
Scott
I love Barbara Stanwyck,just watched "Ball Of Fire" on TCM tonight,hadn`t seen it in a long time,excellent movie.One of my other favorites of hers is "The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers"

Claude North

Second Unit
Glad to see such enthusiasm for Barbara Stanwyck. With all due respect to the other women of Hollywood's Golden Age (and their fans), I think she might be the greatest actress of that era. Danny Peary wrote a lovely essay about her performance in BALL OF FIRE in his book, ALTERNATE OSCARS, and I'm always moved by the clip of her and William Holden on the Academy Awards show, in which he pays tribute to her kindness and generosity. She always struck me as someone who never realized just how talented she was, and I agree with all of you that she deserves better representation on DVD.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Since it is Christmas time, another vote for Remember the Night (1939), one of my all-time favorite Christmas movies. I catch it every year.

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
most definitely!--it seems a bit insane that Remember the Night isn't available!

Stanwyck is my favourite actress, bar none (I'm hardly alone there, it seems!), and I would round out my top ten "still-wanteds" (minus the precodes coming out in the spring) with:

2-5. The early Capra films--Columbia, they're MAGNIFICENT, c'mon!
6. So Big!
7. Ladies They Talk About
8. Ten Cents a Dance
9. The Mad Miss Manton
10.The File on Thelma Jordon

and it's pretty amazing that this list doesn't even come close to exhausting the fantastic store of unreleased Stanwyck films... 2007 was a good year for her (finally!), but I'd like to see even more in '08!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks